• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 2014

Rtd208

I'll kindly highly disagree, we have a HP sliding out into the Atlantic, it's pretty much a glorified cold front. GFS SE cold bias at total play here. 

Look at the thermal profiles...

This is 850mb or about 5000' above sea level. It's below freezing away from the coast, and temps crash from here as the low passes. 925mb is above freezing, which is around 2500' above sea level, so a more intense precip rate would be able to bring down the colder air aloft and cool the column enough for a wet snow. We're also looking at surface temps around 33F, and that's based on a very low res map, so the surface is cold enough to get the job done.

gfs_T850_neus_18.png

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z Euro for Monday is 55 , Plus 7 at 850 with Rain at KNYC . Looks nothing like the GFS

Ahhh model mayhem gotta love it paul. With the antecedent airmass and no real noteworthy blocking this storm has the best chance to deliver snow Well N&W of NYC unless it can get sufficient cold air wrapped around the back of it. However 9/10 times wraparound moisture never pans out

Way, way out in fantasy range, but the Parallel GFS for a few days now has been hinting at quite a warm up the day before Thanksgiving, possibly hitting the lower 70's.

Lower 70s sounds extremely high. Such a warm up would kill those negative departures for the next 7 days.

Lots of panic about December now from the forums. The METS suggest a mid December reload but don't sound too confident. In order for this to be a huge winter December has to produce something.

I'm never going to put all my bags in a basket for Jan-Feb only to deliver a huge winter

Lower 70s sounds extremely high. Such a warm up would kill those negative departures for the next 7 days.

Lots of panic about December now from the forums. The METS suggest a mid December reload but don't sound too confident. In order for this to be a huge winter December has to produce something.

I'm never going to put all my bags in a basket for Jan-Feb only to deliver a huge winter

The cool thing about the warm up on the GFS is that on Thanksgiving itself it drags a rather intense cold front through.

We've had many warm thanksgivings before so low 70s wouldn't be shocking..perhaps November won't be all that below normal after all just like it won't be a torch..such as the peril in putting stock into long range forecasts that don't usually work out

Lots of panic about December now from the

forums. The METS suggest a mid December reload but don't sound too confident. In order for this to be a huge winter December has to produce something.

Who's panicking?

So we are writing off NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER  now ? 

We've had many warm thanksgivings before so low 70s wouldn't be shocking..perhaps November won't be all that below normal after all just like it won't be a torch..such as the peril in putting stock into long range forecasts that don't usually work out

I'm pretty sure low 70s in late November is record breaking so it is a big deal. Yea I initially thought November would average a -1 and then I thought between -2 and -3 was possible. If the last week of November torches then that -1 would be far more likely.

I believe as of today everyone is close to 0.5+ for a departure.

It looks like the pattern will relax a bit by Thanksgiving on the Euro Ensembles...you can see the same on the GEFS. But the -EPO looks likely to continue so we won't exactly be breaking out the shorts. Can't wait for the panic to begin as we start December with a less than perfect pattern...

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ENSHGTAVGNH_6z/f252.gif

John meant to say the panic will start on Nov 13th . 

I'm pretty sure low 70s in late November is record breaking so it is a big deal. Yea I initially thought November would average a -1 and then I thought between -2 and -3 was possible. If the last week of November torches then that -1 would be far more likely.

I believe as of today everyone is close to 0.5+ for a departure.

Back to average after today but why does it matter if we end up -1 or -3? It could be -5 that doesn't mean we're getting snow

Also 2004-05 did nothing until January and turned into a pretty great winter.

No but I noticed in the New England forums there was far more worry about December.

I would not worry about it . I think most point to a colder winter pattern for several reasons  . You may see the a real winter pattern start in mid or late DEC . As it should . Very hard to start Nov 1 and run the table for 4 months. It just does not work that way .

When push comes to shove I think you will be happy with it`s outcome 

If I'm worried it's because of the hype monster that's been created this season. Expectations are so high that less than ideal conditions in December bring out the worries. I think I would've been a lot happier if all forecasts called for another 2011-2012 because then there would be zero expectations thus no worries.

I would not worry about it . I think most point to a colder winter pattern for several reasons . You may see the a real winter pattern start in mid or late DEC . As it should . Very hard to start Nov 1 and run the table for 4 months. It just does not work that way .

When push comes to shove I think you will be happy with it`s outcome

Gotta hand it to john not only giving a great winter forecast but also predicting how soon the weenies will be writing off winter :lol:

If I'm worried it's because of the hype monster that's been created this season. Expectations are so high that less than ideal conditions in December bring out the worries. I think I would've been a lot happier if all forecasts called for another 2011-2012 because then there would be zero expectations thus no worries.

Agree, a warm December puts the kabash on an epic winter.

Many people are calling for a frigid December, so this could be the early signal of the train off the tracks.

Archived