• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 2014

Rtd208

Agree, a warm December puts the kabash on an epic winter.

Many people are calling for a frigid December, so this could be the early signal of the train off the tracks.

Some of worst stuff ive read here recently all brought about by a well predicted pattern RELAXATION and not REVERSAL. This was well explained that relaxing and reloading would happen beginning to middle of december with the cold returning. Some of you gotta get a grip

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of worst stuff ive read here recently all brought about by a well predicted pattern RELAXATION and not REVERSAL. This was well explained that relaxing and reloading would happen beginning to middle of december with the cold returning. Some of you gotta get a grip

How. December is a cold month. January is a cold month. February is a cold month. March is a not a cold month.

You need to get the 3 in a row to be in an epic winter catergory imop.

How. December is a cold month. January is a cold month. February is a cold month. March is a not a cold month.

Thats your flaw right there, its a personal not professional statement/ opinion. Winters are judged by cumulative snowfall/temps not by what your standards are. Some of blockbuster winters featured torched decembers only to be lights out awesome january and february. December can many times be a transitional month as well as we may see this year with blocking and cold being re-established.

Point being is that one has to realize DJF isnt gonna be wall to wall cold with NO relaxation at one point or another

Unless you pull off an epic 30 day snow pattern a la 10-11 which is very rare. For me a good to great winter is pulling off one good storm per winter month on average with minor events (1-3" type stuff) sprinkled around them.

Winters are judged by cumulative snowfall/temps not by what your standards are.

Yet most of you folks seem to be of the opinion that the lack of a blockbuster snowstorm last winter prevented the season from joining the greats, despite ample snowfall and memorable cold. I get the vague impression that many of us would never be fully satisfied with any winter.

Yet most of you folks seem to be of the opinion that the lack of a blockbuster snowstorm last winter prevented the season from joining the greats, despite ample snowfall and memorable cold. I get the vague impression that many of us would never be fully satisfied with any winter.

Last winter was awesome and was among the greats IMO. Bone cold, snowed in the single digits and between 50-60" of snow for the season. Five star winter if you ask me ;)

Truth. Expectations have simply gotten too crazy lately. We could use a string of 01-02/11-12 type winters to shake things up, lower the hype, and allow us to come back down to Earth.

Have we recently experienced any back to back bad winters. The only winters close would be 06-07 and 07-08 but the sleet storms were too epic for me to group those two winters together.

Back to average after today but why does it matter if we end up -1 or -3? It could be -5 that doesn't mean we're getting snow

Also 2004-05 did nothing until January and turned into a pretty great winter.

December 2004 was pretty good.  The first 2 weeks of January 2005 were a bit of a torch, yet even during that period we managed to squeeze some light snows out of unlikely situations.  It was a winter where it found a way to snow if at all possible.  Parts of LI wound up near 80".

Are we seriously panicing already, my god. Take the weenism somewhere else, like a banter thread.

People need to realize that November sensible weather here means very little for the winter on most occasions as 

the October patterns carry most of the weight. 

Man, you guys are playing right into my post from a few days ago when I spoke about the pattern regression causing panic. Give it a rest. It's November 13th. Good lord.

Meanwhile, really great looking recent SSTA. PDO/NAO regions look classic...El Nino regions improving.

You nailed it! Thanksgiving is looking warm, fine with me as I have my annual flag football game that Saturday! Last year was too cold

Lol..this is your typical November weather..November is NOT a winter month.It warms up in November,EVERY year.To have temps in the 50's or even near 60 on Thanksgiving is not uncommon.Even blockbuster winters had very warm days in December like,umm last year..Early December 1960 it was in the 60's before a historic winter pattern kicked in..The cold will ease every winter.i would rather have a November thaw than one later in the winter.Relax guys

You nailed it! Thanksgiving is looking warm, fine with me as I have my annual flag football game that Saturday! Last year was too cold

I have my annual football game and saturday night go to the house of butcher from my store and have post thankgiving feast! Warm or cold im still gonna be happy person thanksgiving day and weekend!

Man, you guys are playing right into my post from a few days ago when I spoke about the pattern regression causing panic. Give it a rest. It's November 13th. Good lord.

Meanwhile, really great looking recent SSTA. PDO/NAO regions look classic...El Nino regions improving.

Indeed looks nice and promising once the relaxation, i mean winter cancel passes :lol:

December 2004 was pretty good.  The first 2 weeks of January 2005 were a bit of a torch, yet even during that period we managed to squeeze some light snows out of unlikely situations.  It was a winter where it found a way to snow if at all possible.  Parts of LI wound up near 80".

Through Jan 20th Central Park only had 4.4" of snow (I really can't even imagine the panic that would ensue if that were to occur again)...but 36" from Jan 22nd thru mid March. I do recall some near misses and storms which clipped LI so amounts there were considerably higher

I can't imagine what these threads would have looked like if the forum was around for the 80's into early 90's snow drought years.

attachicon.gifnysnow.gif

I was there,back when it hardly ever snowed in December..you were lucky to get a few weeks of winter weather..believe me folks,what we have experienced in the last 10-15 years is NOT typical NYC winters..If most of you lived in the 70's 80's and the 90's you wouldn't be spoiled 

Through Jan 20th Central Park only had 4.4" of snow (I really can't even imagine the panic that would ensue if that were to occur again)...but 36" from Jan 22nd thru mid March. I do recall some near misses and storms which clipped LI so amounts there were considerably higher

There was a joke thread that winter "places with more snow than NYC" on Christmas eve it was a gold mine with that Texas snow storm, someone posted "oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico."

Archived