Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Historic Lake Effect Snowstorm

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just WOW!  From someone who has witnessed a dozen or so events in my lifetime of 50+"....it never ceases to amaze me the true beauty of nature....the unbelievable physics involved....that OUR area (W. and C. NYS) have two lakes, that when conditions are right:

A.  Can produce snowfall rates that may not be experienced ANYWHERE else in the world. 7-12"/hr.  (And sustain those rates for days on end.)

B.  Can produce total snowfalls/event that are only matched in the highest of terrains of the worlds mountains.

C.  Can produce snowfall gradients that ARE NOT OBSERVED ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD!

D.  Can do all the above in populous areas.

E.  Etc......etc...(add your own)

Folks of W. and C. NY.......WE truly live in a most fantastic part of the world, wrt snow.  There are probably only .001 percent of people on this planet who ever get to see this type of INCREDIBLENESS!!!  Take time to appreciate, just how rare these types of events are and how special our region is on a global level. 

Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!!!!

-George

Just WOW! From someone who has witnessed a dozen or so events in my lifetime of 50+"....it never ceases to amaze me the true beauty of nature....the unbelievable physics involved....that OUR area (W. and C. NYS) have two lakes, that when conditions are right:

A. Can produce snowfall rates that may not be experienced ANYWHERE else in the world. 7-12"/hr. (And sustain those rates for days on end.)

B. Can produce total snowfalls/event that are only matched in the highest of terrains of the worlds mountains.

C. Can produce snowfall gradients that ARE NOT OBSERVED ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD!

D. Can do all the above in populous areas.

E. Etc......etc...(add your own)

Folks of W. and C. NY.......WE truly live in a most fantastic part of the world, wrt snow. There are probably only .001 percent of people on this planet who ever get to see this type of INCREDIBLENESS!!! Take time to appreciate, just how rare these types of events are and how special our region is on a global level.

-George

great post George. Wow Nick

Band looks to be finally moving north. Was modeled to do so then weaken around this time.

Check out the zone forecast for Buffalo

• Tonight Lake effect snow. Areas of blowing snow. Snow may be heavy at times. Additional accumulation 4 to 7 inches in the most persistent snows. Cold with lows 20 to 25. South winds 15 to 20 mph...becoming west. Chance of snow near 100 percent.
  • Thursday Lake effect snow. Areas of blowing snow. Snow may be heavy at times. Additional accumulation 10 to 19 inches in the most persistent snows. Cold with highs in the mid 20s. West winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Latest AFD

...MORE SIGNIFICANT LAKE SNOWS EXPECTED TO IMPACT AREAS ALREADY HARD
HIT DOWNWIND OF LAKE ERIE AND LAKE ONTARIO...

ANOTHER SURGE OF FRESH ARCTIC AIR WILL REINVIGORATE LAKE EFFECT
SNOWS DOWNWIND OF THE LAKES THROUGH THE PERIOD. IT IS LIKELY THAT
THE HEAVIEST AND MOST PERSISTENT SNOWS WILL IMPACT AREAS ALREADY
HARD HIT FROM THE RECENT LAKE SNOW EVENT.

OVER-LAKE INSTABILITY WILL ONCE AGAIN BECOME EXTREME...AS 850 MB
TEMPERATURES DROP TO NEAR -14C CREATING DELTA T/S AT OR ABOVE 20C.
LAKE INDUCED CAPES LOOK TO RISE TO NEAR 1000 J/KG WITH EQUILIBRIUM
LEVELS ONCE AGAIN TOPPING 15K FEET. THESE PARAMETERS LOOK TO BE A
LITTLE MORE EXTREME OFF LAKE ONTARIO...ESPECIALLY THURSDAY NIGHT AND
EARLY FRIDAY.

WITH THE LATEST PROFILES SHOWING OMEGA MAXIMIZED ONCE AGAIN IN THE
FAVORED DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE ALONG WITH DEEP MOISTURE...WE ARE
LIKELY TO SEE SIGNIFICANT ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS.

WE ENVISION THAT FRESH AMOUNTS FROM TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT
COULD NEAR OR EXCEED TWO FEET EAST OF LAKE ERIE...WITH THE MAIN
FOCAL AREA ONCE AGAIN POINTED RIGHT AT THE BUFFALO SOUTHTOWNS ON A
PROLONGED 250-260 FLOW.

SINCE LAKE PARAMETERS OFF LAKE ONTARIO APPEAR TO BE A BIT MORE
EXTREME...WE EXPECT HIGHER ADDITIONAL TOTALS FROM LATE TONIGHT
THROUGH FRIDAY...WITH THE TUG HILL REGION LIKELY TO BE NEAR OR EVEN
EXCEED THREE FEET.

TEMPERATURES WILL REMAIN WELL BELOW NORMAL THROUGH THE END OF THE
WEEK...MORE TYPICAL OF JANUARY THAN LATE NOVEMBER. IT WILL BE QUITE
WINDY AGAIN ON THURSDAY WITH PLENTY OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND
NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES IN AND NEAR THE STRONGER BANDS.
SNOWFALL RATES MAY AGAIN REACH 3 PLUS INCHES PER HOUR IN THE MORE
INTENSE BANDS.

THIS EVENT MAY RESULT IN ADDITIONAL MAJOR TRAVEL DISRUPTIONS IN THE
BUFFALO AREA AND ALSO NEAR WATERTOWN WITH MAJOR ROAD CLOSURES
POSSIBLE.

Just WOW!  From someone who has witnessed a dozen or so events in my lifetime of 50+"....it never ceases to amaze me the true beauty of nature....the unbelievable physics involved....that OUR area (W. and C. NYS) have two lakes, that when conditions are right:

A.  Can produce snowfall rates that may not be experienced ANYWHERE else in the world. 7-12"/hr.  (And sustain those rates for days on end.)

B.  Can produce total snowfalls/event that are only matched in the highest of terrains of the worlds mountains.

C.  Can produce snowfall gradients that ARE NOT OBSERVED ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD!

Folks of W. and C. NY.......WE truly live in a most fantastic part of the world, wrt snow.  There are probably only .001 percent of people on this planet who ever get to see this type of INCREDIBLENESS!!!  Take time to appreciate, just how rare these types of events are and how special our region is on a global level. 

-George

I agree 100%, even as I have had only a tiny taste of the beauty of LES. When my 3-year old is old enough to appreciate it, I'll take him out to see a LES event. It's an amazing thing.

-George

In my 5 years living in the Keweenaw I know Superior does the same thing ... except D ... the UP/NE MN/part of Ontario off Superior totally lack the population. When Calumet MI is buried it just life as normal up there and it doesn't even make front page news.  :)  Just got to love the Great Lakes :snowing: 

In my 5 years living in the Keweenaw I know Superior does the same thing ... except D ... the UP/NE MN/part of Ontario off Superior totally lack the population. When Calumet MI is buried it just life as normal up there and it doesn't even make front page news.  :)  Just got to love the Great Lakes :snowing:

Oh....certainly not taking away the other snowbelts of the upper lakes....but down here, the geometry/orientation of Erie and Ontario, along with the upstream connections that often seed our lakes down here, kick up the rates to levels that are truly unique to the lee of Erie and Ontario.

But, that said, there are certainly areas of Superior and in S. Ontario province, that have us beat down here, wrt number of events....you guys get decent snows with a sneeze from someone upwind!!! :)

Round 2 anyone? :mapsnow:

LOCATIONS...ERIE COUNTY INCLUDING THE BUFFALO METRO AREA.* TIMING...FIRST WARNING CONTINUES THROUGH MIDDAY TODAY. THE  SECOND WARNING LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT.* ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 8 INCHES TODAY.  ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO 2 FEET LATE TONIGHT THROUGH  THURSDAY NIGHT IN PERSISTENT BANDS. THE HEAVIEST AMOUNTS MAY  AGAIN FOCUS ON THE BUFFALO SOUTHTOWNS.

What a storm...We got destroyed overnight. Parents in Amherst look like they are getting hit hard based on the picture they sent me. Nice picture Nick. I don't think your boss is going to have much luck lol....

Its been 3 and a half hours since I talked to him.  I'm pretty he just called it a lost cause lol.  

Archived