wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Massive Nor'easter Disco 10/21-25

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, the GFS/NAM/ECMWF all show two areas of potentially very heavy rainfall, one just north of Boston and the other somewhere south of NYC. Whomever gets under those bands could see some 1"+ per hour rates in heavy convection. Seeing the Euro spit out 5-6" totals when that model is historically on the drier side raises a red flag.

To be fair, the GFS/NAM/ECMWF all show two areas of potentially very heavy rainfall, one just north of Boston and the other somewhere south of NYC. Whomever gets under those bands could see some 1"+ per hour rates in heavy convection. Seeing the Euro spit out 5-6" totals when that model is historically on the drier side raises a red flag.

Well this is certainly a setup where someone can and will see greater than 4-5" totals over a few days. With an onshore slug and convective activity it certainly would be plausible.

Meteorology , not modelology. So are you telling us that no areas in New England have the potential for double digit rainfall amounts?

First off, I'm the last person you should ever question about using meteorology over modelology. Second, I would assume that double digit rainfall amounts over the course of 2-3 days would certainly set some records. So one would need to look at what the record rainfall amounts for this time period is, and see what the setups were that produced those rainfall totals. Over three days would be about 3-4 inches a day to produce double digit amounts, and to me that would take a training convective setup rather than a large synoptic style event. Not to say that there won't be a training convective setup as this is a very slow mover, but i certainly wouldn't bank on it. 

First off, I'm the last person you should ever question about using meteorology over modelology. Second, I would assume that double digit rainfall amounts over the course of 2-3 days would certainly set some records. So one would need to look at what the record rainfall amounts for this time period is, and see what the setups were that produced those rainfall totals. Over three days would be about 3-4 inches a day to produce double digit amounts, and to me that would take a training convective setup rather than a large synoptic style event. Not to say that there won't be a training convective setup as this is a very slow mover, but i certainly wouldn't bank on it.

Ok thanks for explaining. Let's see how it all plays out upon verification.

Thoughts on whether this is a nor'easter?

CWG just posted an article really calling out TWC for their nor'easter headline.

At least personally I only call something a nor'easter for my are if it's producing gale force winds on the coast. In this case the only gale warnings are for coastal Maine.

Long gone are the days of John Hope, Paul Kocin and Steve Lyons. At least they still have Greg Forbes. I knew things were going downhill when they started putting Jim Cantore on the expert desk. He may be the current face of the station but he's no expert in Meteorology.

Why would you say that?

Cantore was probably one of the better on-air mets back in the day (1990s) who understood the meteorology.

Thoughts on whether this is a nor'easter?

CWG just posted an article really calling out TWC for their nor'easter headline.

At least personally I only call something a nor'easter for my are if it's producing gale force winds on the coast. In this case the only gale warnings are for coastal Maine.

I don't think their issue is calling it a Nor'Easter, but rather the incredibly misleading headline of 'Nor'Easter to threaten millions'

Archived