joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

06 GFS went crazy with the long range temps. At day 12 it indicates dew points in the 30s for a good portion of the NC, SC, Ga, Alabama piedmont/mountains. There is a large area of below 30 degrees showing up in western NC down through north Ga (even some mid 20s in western SC!!). If this actually was to occur there could some very early frost/freezes across the SE.

Now I know this is day 12 (and the 12z might show something totally different), but there's not much more to track.

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2014&model_mm=09&model_dd=15&model_init_hh=06&fhour=288&parameter=DPTF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

06 GFS went crazy with the long range temps. At day 12 it indicates dew points in the 30s for a good portion of the NC, SC, Ga, Alabama piedmont/mountains. There is a large area of below 30 degrees showing up in western NC down through north Ga (even some mid 20s in western SC!!). If this actually was to occur there could some very early frost/freezes across the SE.

Now I know this is day 12 (and the 12z might show something totally different), but there's not much more to track.

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2014&model_mm=09&model_dd=15&model_init_hh=06&fhour=288&parameter=DPTF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Not unheard of for late September. I've seen lows in the upper 30s in late September. I believe it was 2001.

Mid 20s in September in Upstate SC, would be very impressive! Would have to be record breaking. Probly just the GFS warming up for a winter of amazing arctic outbreaks showing up in the long range, only to never materialize! This will be a good first test.

Just to be clear on Falls' map:  The mid 20s were dew points, not temperatures.  Temperatures for the same time frame are forecasted to be in the 40s.

Just to be clear on Falls' map:  The mid 20s were dew points, not temperatures.  Temperatures for the same time frame are forecasted to be in the 40s.

Exactly, actual temps would be higher.  Now if we actually get dew points this low and if there are clear/calm nights the temp would have a chance to get closer to the dew point.

Here's a bit of climate data to verify these possibilities.  Most locations have seen sub 40 temps throughout the second half of september since we have been collecting climate data.

Asheville:

2mhh3dx.jpg

Greenville/Spartanburg:

2i05jeb.jpg

Greensboro:

hrh9c0.jpg

Couldn't get the last two in the screen shot but they were 37 & 35.

RDU:

bhahib.jpg

Looking at the latest model runs it still looks like there will be some kind of major cool down in the extended. As we expected, with a 10-12 day period, each run shows a different outcome(dry and cool, wet and cool, maybe frost, etc.); but the outcome depicted continuously shows a cool pattern for the end of the month.

Looking at the latest model runs it still looks like there will be some kind of major cool down in the extended. As we expected, with a 10-12 day period, each run shows a different outcome(dry and cool, wet and cool, maybe frost, etc.); but the outcome depicted continuously shows a cool pattern for the end of the month.

And Wow's GOA low/trough hangs in there pretty much through the balance of the month.

And Wow's GOA low/trough hangs in there pretty much through the balance of the month.

I'm ready to stop using the air conditioning. Need at least one nice electric bill...

I'm kind of torn for what I want to see going into October. We keep hearing about the statistics of a warm October leads to a cold winter, but the weather fanatic in me always wants it cold...

I'm ready to stop using the air conditioning. Need at least one nice electric bill...

I'm kind of torn for what I want to see going into October. We keep hearing about the statistics of a warm October leads to a cold winter, but the weather fanatic in me always wants it cold...

Yeah, I'm with you on the cold.  I'm ready to get a fire going in the fireplace.

The GFS in the 10 day range wants to build heights over the Eastern parts of the U.S.  Could lead to a warm ending to September.  The PNA is forecasted to go sharply negative, so this solution of the GFS may hold some truth.  

gfs_z500a_us_36.png

pna.sprd2.gif

Remember a warm start to October is not statistically bad if your looking for a cold winter.

The 12z GFS shows the pattern Kory mentioned, but it also shows a pretty stout high pressure hanging out in the GL, NE, and off the NE coast around roughly the same time frame.  500mb looks torchy, but the high might offset that to some degree.  Looks pretty dry for many in the SE until way out in fantasy land.

The 12z GFS shows the pattern Kory mentioned, but it also shows a pretty stout high pressure hanging out in the GL, NE, and off the NE coast around roughly the same time frame. 500mb looks torchy, but the high might offset that to some degree. Looks pretty dry for many in the SE until way out in fantasy land.

I remember that we had a dry and warm period around this time last year in Tuscaloosa as well. We went about 4 weeks without a drop of rain from late August through late September and highs well into the 90s. It was nice for tailgating and the football games because you didn't have to worry about it being sloppy or a game being rained out.

Archived