joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The closest we came would have been March 2001 had it worked out. Since it was supposed to snow for 3 days with the storm stalling and looping back we could have seen the 2 to 3 feet that was possible and that was with borderline temps.

March 2001 obviously fell short of expectations, but still a pretty decent storm for L.I....the nicest thing about it was the extended duration of the snowfall...continuing light to moderate for roughly 40 hours straight...one of the longest I can remember around here.  Several spots out here saw around 16 inches, give or take.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT - SNOW AMOUNTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

1105 AM EST WED MAR 7 2001

THE FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF FINAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS FROM THE

RECENT LONG DURATION SNOW EVENT. SNOW FINALLY ENDED ACROSS EASTERN LONG

ISLAND AROUND DAYBREAK THIS MORNING. THESE AMOUNTS INDICATE THE MAXIMUM

SNOW RECEIVED FOR THE ENTIRE EVENT.

LOCATION                 SNOW

(INCHES)

SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...

SUFFOLK COUNTY...

AQUEBOGUE                12.2

CENTEREACH               15.6

CENTERPORT                7.3

DIX HILLS                 7.8

EAST QUOGUE              10.0

EAST SETAUKET            16.0

EAST HAMPTON AIRPORT     10.0

EAST YAPHANK             12.6

FARMINGVILLE              9.5

HOLBROOK                  8.5

HUNTINGTON               16.0

ISLIP AIRPORT             8.0

LAKE GROVE                9.0

MATTITUCK                10.1

MANORVILLE               13.0

MELVILLE                  5.0

MIDDLE ISLAND            10.5

MILLER PLACE             13.0

MONTAUK POINT             5.6

MOUNT SINAI              13.0

NWS UPTON                14.2

ORIENT POINT              7.0

PLUM ISLAND              12.0

PORT JEFFERSON            9.0

PORT JEFFERSON STATION   13.3

QUOGUE                    8.0

RIDGE                    15.0

RIVERHEAD                13.2

ROCKY POINT              10.0

RONKONKOMA               11.0

SAG HARBOR               11.0

SELDEN                   14.0

SETAUKET                 10.5

SHOREHAM                 14.0

ST. JAMES                12.5

WADING RIVER             13.0

WESTHAMPTON              12.0

The March 2001 debacle still gives me fits. I remember Al Roker showed a snow map. The New York metro area a widespread 2 to 3 feet. As you got into western half of New Jersey 3 to 4 feet. All systems were go 48 hours before game time. I believe the old AVN model went north first, and then as they say the rest is history. What might of been. :angry:

I don't know why but I remembered someone in upstate NY getting a 50"+ amount but I was wrong. Mount Le Conte in Tennessee did pick up 60".

6k feet will do that!

93 was a fun storm. Coastal flooding and a foot of snow made for serious ice bergs. The pouring rain was painful though.

To get the biggest numbers around here you gotta do a loop or two aka 88.

Late season would be the best time to do it too. Still enough low level cold available but more energy and moisture then mid winter.

I think we really could see a NYC 40" storm in the next 25 years. The continued slowing of the jet and some super blocking with a well placed slow moving 970 fun bomb making a little bench mark loop in early march and it's game on

I'll just leave P003 here

To save my fellow posters valuable time, I'll respond on their behalf.

REDMK6GLI: "that definitely looks interesting john ;):lol:;):lol: but we should wait to see what happens. We'll know more tomorrow, and more the day after that, and even more the day after that. We should definitely know more by next week."

IsentropicLift: "Wow. I'm not saying that member bears any similarity to January '96, but if you look at the way the isobars encircle the low just like January '96, we could see a storm just like January '96 if that model is right."

TonyLovesSnow: "We will get 4.23 inches, if you dont believe me your an idiot."

PB GFI: <insert secret weatherbell snow map for that frame, only available to personal friends of JB and those willing to sacrifice their firstborn>

Snow88: "Looks like a nor'easter."

Highzenberg: "FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW MUCH THAT SHOWS FOR PHILADELPHIA. But I don't really care. But seriously, HOW MUCH?"

REDMK6GLI: "that definitely looks interesting john ;):lol:;):lol: but we should wait to see what happens. We'll know more tomorrow, and more the day after that, and even more the day after that. We should definitely know more by next week."

IsentropicLift: "Wow. I'm not saying that member bears any similarity to January '96, but if you look at the way the isobars encircle the low just like January '96, we could see a storm just like January '96 if that model is right."

PB GFI: <insert secret weatherbell snow map for that frame, only available to personal friends of JB and those willing to sacrifice their firstborn>

Highzenberg: "FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW MUCH THAT SHOWS FOR PHILADELPHIA. But I don't really care. But seriously, HOW MUCH?"

Dyin. Perfect.

Hahaha spot on

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Fantastic!

Lmao, the first one really got me

That is LOL worthy, well done sir :lol:

You lump me in with those guys ? Jag.

Archived