joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although highly improbable, could you imagine a storm of that magnitude bearing down on the NYC metro area? It would be absolute bedlam in this forum to say the least. I'm trying to imagine such a scary scenario. Perhaps a strong phased system that's stalled out with the intense ccb band right over us for days on end pouring out 20-1 snow ratios. We would be witnessing weenie heaven and hell  at the same time :yikes:

Although highly improbable, could you imagine a storm of that magnitude bearing down on the NYC metro area? It would be absolute bedlam in this forum to say the least. I'm trying to imagine such a scary scenario. Perhaps a strong phased system that's stalled out with the intense ccb band right over us for days on end pouring out 20-1 snow ratios. We would be witnessing weenie heaven and hell  at the same time :yikes:

The closest we came would have been March 2001 had it worked out. Since it was supposed to snow for 3 days with the storm stalling and looping back we could have seen the 2 to 3 feet that was possible and that was with borderline temps.

This storm is about as close as I can think of. Obviously it didn't drop insane totals, but the storm basically cut off to our southwest in a perfect position to send a non stop moisture feed into the area. It stalled and basically snowed itself out over us. The higher elevations of NJ received over 30", although I believe officially West Milford had 28.0" and Sussex County airport recoreded 26.5". By me it was about 15" of cement, and less as you got closer to the city. It was the ultimate revenge for the February 5-6 event with most of Central and Southern NJ receiving well under a foot.

022521.png

I don't think sustained LES-type rates or totals are plausible in a synoptic storm system. Mid-latitude cyclones have a relatively short window to take advantage of the surrounding baroclinicity (of which the conveyor belt structure is borne) before they occlude and the mechanisms for ascent start to dwindle. The ceiling is probably somewhere along the lines of March 1888, and even then, totals maxed out around 50 inches I believe.

This storm is about as close as I can think of. Obviously it didn't drop insane totals, but the storm basically cut off to our southwest in a perfect position to send a non stop moisture feed into the area. It stalled and basically snowed itself out over us. The higher elevations of NJ received over 30", although I believe officially West Milford had 28.0" and Sussex County airport recoreded 26.5". By me it was about 15" of cement, and less as you got closer to the city. It was the ultimate revenge for the February 5-6 event with most of Central and Southern NJ receiving well under a foot.

022521.png

Still remember Paul Kocin (although busted badly) saying he wouldnt be shocked if people on LI would not be able to get out of their houses in the morning. Was a surreal experience that sadly never transpired to the immediate NYC area on east which may of very well rivaled 96' snowfall totals

I don't think sustained LES-type rates or totals are plausible in a synoptic storm system. Mid-latitude cyclones have a relatively short window to take advantage of the surrounding baroclinicity (of which the conveyor belt structure is borne) before they occlude and the mechanisms for ascent start to dwindle. The ceiling is probably somewhere along the lines of March 1888, and even then, totals maxed out around 50 inches I believe.

Yeah alot of people like to say when we see 4-6" of rain in storms or from tropical systems 'wow imagine if that was snow'!. But its really not possible to get snow in that sort of scenario that produces those huge rainfall amounts.

I think 50" was the max in the Blizzard of 78 as well so that probably is the absolute max we could see in a synoptic event.

The closest we came would have been March 2001 had it worked out. Since it was supposed to snow for 3 days with the storm stalling and looping back we could have seen the 2 to 3 feet that was possible and that was with borderline temps.

March 2001 was an interesting setup. I'm pretty certain that what went wrong is that the phase occured too late. We would have probably been better off without a phase at all, as the initial low had already gotten going and was in good position, but then as the late phasing occured, a seperate system developed and the baroclinic zone was already too far east for us. I couldn be wrong though, I was in High School back then.

030509.png

030515.png

030521.png

Still remember Paul Kocin (although busted badly) saying he wouldnt be shocked if people on LI would not be able to get out of their houses in the morning. Was a surreal experience that sadly never transpired to the immediate NYC area on east which may of very well rivaled 96' snowfall totals

I'm not sad about it at all. That's the storm that saved Winter up here, with most of the other big ones going well South.

I could see where a couple of monster storms dump over 50" but not just one storm. I think 40-50" is the max as well with one storm.

You would have to combine massive over running with a stalled out coastal. And even with good ratios of say 15:1, it's nearly impossible to get more than say 3" water equivlent out of a single event here in Winter.

Our are was forecasted to get 2-3 feet of snow for March 2001. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the forecast amounts. They closed schools the day before the storm . I ended up with 5 inches :(

But then you got February 2003 and all of the amazing KU events that have happened since then. Stop crying about it like someone stole your puppy.

It's kind of funny, you look at the maps from 2 days prior to PDII and the setup at H5 looks pretty harmless. We've already seen similar looks so far this season that haven't produced anything. That 50/50 low was probably just enough to slow things down and give that shortwave over the Dakotas room to amplify.

021400.png

Yeah alot of people like to say when we see 4-6" of rain in storms or from tropical systems 'wow imagine if that was snow'!. But its really not possible to get snow in that sort of scenario that produces those huge rainfall amounts.

I think 50" was the max in the Blizzard of 78 as well so that probably is the absolute max we could see in a synoptic event.

I guess in theory a transitioning hurricane could exceed the snowfall amounts of a purely ET system. The October 1804 snowicane yielded reports of 48" in NNE, but given the obvious scarcity of reports, the lukewarm antecedent airmass (melting was rapid and immediate, as I understand), and the lack of incremental measurements to compensate for the quick melting... I think a similar system in the modern era with lower heights over the region would produce some astounding totals.

March 1888 had 58" in Saratoga.

A lot of the totals were probably undermeasured, especially around NYC, since there was no 6-hour measuring requirement.

You would have to combine massive over running with a stalled out coastal. And even with good ratios of say 15:1, it's nearly impossible to get more than say 3" water equivlent out of a single event here in Winter.

Didn't the mid atlantic get over 3" QPF during early Feb 2010 and they got pretty much back to back monster snow producers.

Archived