• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

Yesterday morning during his WDEV forecast in the 7 o’clock hour, Roger Hill said that it was going to be a “Chamber of Commerce” day, which reminded me of conversations here on the New England Regional Forum at American Weather.  Naturally it was a great COC day as expected, another in a bunch of great ones from the past couple of months.  During his broadcast this morning he was talking about how it’s been like a “Mediterranean climate” here this summer.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday morning during his WDEV forecast in the 7 o’clock hour, Roger Hill said that it was going to be a “Chamber of Commerce” day, which reminded me of conversations here on the New England Regional Forum at American Weather.  Naturally it was a great COC day as expected, another in a bunch of great ones from the past couple of months.  During his broadcast this morning he was talking about how it’s been like a “Mediterranean climate” here this summer.

Yeah what a stretch of great weather to be outside....today is another day of sunshine, no humidity, and comfy temperatures.  Perfect for a hike or mountain bike ride.

BTV to have a mild night tonight in the mid-60s most likely...should be quite gusty as well. 50kts at 925mb is fairly impressive.

"Temperatures remain seasonably mild under increasing southerly flow...generally in the 55 to 65 range tonight. Speaking of those winds...models continue to advertise the development of a fairly robust low level jet in the Champlain Valley later tonight with speeds nearing 50 knots at the 925 mb level after 09z."

NWS Point & click says 50% showers and precip between tenth and quarter inch.  BTV forecasters say:

THE PRECIPITATION IS PROGRESSIVE AND
DOWNSLOPING OVER PARTS OF THE AREA...ESPECIALLY IN THE CHAMPLAIN
VALLEY...WILL HELP LIMIT THE TOTAL PRECIPITATION. MOST AREAS
SHOULD GENERALLY SEE LESS THAN A HALF INCH WITH PRONOUNCED
SHADOWING FOR PARTS OF THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY WHERE AMOUNTS WILL BE
AROUND A TENTH OF AN INCH OR LESS

I go with BTV, and look for another goose egg.  Perhaps I'll be able to put a T in the Cocorhas report.

NWS Point & click says 50% showers and precip between tenth and quarter inch. BTV forecasters say:

I go with BTV, and look for another goose egg. Perhaps I'll be able to put a T in the Cocorhas report.

Doesn't look that wet anywhere...orographics are probably over-done but with relative strong flow we'll get the upslope/downslope couplets. J.Spin's area is the only part of I-89 between BTV and MPV that the WRF has getting over a tenth of an inch.

I am hoping we can get some clearing tonight for a shot at viewing some aurora. It looks like we have a shot but we shall see.

Two things need to line up: clear skies, as you mentioned, and KP = 6 or greater.  Seems like we usually get one or the other, but seldom both.  Crossing my fingers as well, as I'd love to sit out in the meadow and watch the dance with my kids.

eyewall - the KP is 6, but the clouds haven't cleared yet (oh, and there's the problem with the sun being up still for five more hours). 

Yeah there are three things working against us:

1) Timing of the CME

2) The relentless low clouds

3) Tonight if there is something to see, and the clouds clear, there will be plenty of moonlight to contend with.

We're gonna try and view the aurora up in NH this evening if things look promising in about 2-3 hours. Kp Index of 6 is decent...not amazing. Direction of IMF has turned south which is supposed to be good.

Yeah the IMF has been oscillating back and forth but definitely has taken some dips to the south.

Archived