CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty cool to hear loons daily now. Years ago you never saw them.

When i was up to my brothers camp in Peru, Maine last week for a few days on the pond their was actually 3 adult loons that were around, They're usually in pairs but it looks like the other one lost its mate and was accepted by the other two

Surface layers getting a bit dry, with less than 1/4" since the big dump 2 weeks ago - would be a problem in a just-planted garden but no issue now.  Last night's action stayed south.  This week (and month) topped out with Monday's 82; it was warmer (84) in CAR on Tuesday, and fairly muggy when bushwhacking thru the woods on our 2-day field tour.  Got muggy with partial sun yesterday afternoon, as well.  Woods roads are mega-dusty, but fortunately it was breezy - in calm wx the dust can hang in the R-O-W for 10 minutes after a log truck passes.  Back in the firetower days, watchers had to be aware that linear "smoke" plumes were actually dust clouds.  Considerable leaf change in Aroostook, with an obvious lightening of summer's deep green on the hardwood forest, though no more than a week ahead of the avg.

Embrace it.............

Random Temperatures across Maine early this morning ... as of Friday 4:00 am est: Boundary Bald Mountain 37, Big Black River 40, Clayton Lake 41, Frenchville 43, Pittston Farm 44, US/Canada Border Station (Jackman) 44, Caribou 46, Northland Hotel 49, Houlton 50, Greenville 50, West Forks 52, Bangor 55, Bingham 57, Portland 57.

According to one PWM wxcaster, the USGS site in Estcourt Station (very northern tip of Maine) recorded 31 yesterday morning.  That's a notorious cold spot; when I lived in Ft. Kent there was a logging camp at E. Station and they would always report temps 5F or more lower than FK on cold winter mornings.  (I recorded 32 or lower during August 3 years of my 10 there, and the median for August's lowest was 34.  E.Station probably went 32 and lower about 7 of those 10 years.)

Archived