CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rain letting up but wind continues to roar, most impressive summer storm for duration I can remember.  Only worst conditions I have seen is Hurricane Gloria in Boston.  Just checked,  25% of town is now without power and 50% of Hebron next town west is now out.

My neighbor lost a tree on the edge of his yard. Not sure if it was wind, soft ground, or lightning related.

Rain letting up but wind continues to roar, most impressive summer storm for duration I can remember.  Only worst conditions I have seen is Hurricane Gloria in Boston.  Just checked,  25% of town is now without power and 50% of Hebron next town west is now out.

Wow, it was legit windy here with a gust or two likely into the 30's and the power flickered a couple times but was a few steps away from damage like that.

Rain about over   3.22".  Just took a quick ride down off my hill but the road is blocked with a large tree and powerlines down.  Road is just covered with branches and leaves.  There was quite a bit of lightning and thunder and wind for a couple of hours.  Usually wind like this is just a quick minute or two with a gust front but this was much more like a summer nor easter with pounding precip and high winds for a couple hours.  Great storm!

BTV getting into the deformation zone though... half inch of rain in the last two hours. That's decent.

Yeah, started raining harder here too. In winter, we'd probably end up with like 8"-10" while Dendrite and others were cresting 20". We would then have to here that we shouldn't complain yada, yada, yadda....

Yeah, started raining harder here too. In winter, we'd probably end up with like 8"-10" while Dendrite and others were cresting 20". We would then have to here that we shouldn't complain yada, yada, yadda....

Haha, be really really thankful its not winter.  That's a true middle finger shaft.

These will need to be updated...but BTV put together a nice visual map of the rainfall totals through early evening:

I guess the NNY rainfall did pan out...I had been going by what the SLK ASOS was reporting, but for whatever reason SLK is by far the low standout in that area.

10524714_706603329411571_504047876583449

It was still a steady light rain at the house when I left this morning, but heading to Burlington resulted in a dramatic change – there’s a good amount of clear sky and a crisp, dry feel to the air.  One very telling visual is that the clouds are those fall-like stratus clouds vs. the more cumulus types that are common with warmer weather.  The wind is currently from the northwest, so that early fall feel isn’t surprising, and temperatures are expected to be on the cool side today per the BTV NWS discussion:

FAIRLY DRY MID LEVELS POST- FRONTAL PASSAGE SHOULD PRECLUDE PRECIPITATION THROUGH MUCH OF THE DAY UNTIL DEEPER MOISTURE FILLS BACK IN LATER THIS AFTERNOON IN ADVANCE OF APPROACHING SHORTWAVE ENERGY. FAIRLY COLD TEMPS ALOFT ONLY AROUND +5C AT 850MB ALONG WITH PLENTY OF CLOUD COVER WILL KEEP TEMPS WELL BELOW NORMAL FOR MID AUGUST WITH HIGHS ONLY IN THE 60S.

Had a quick trip yesterday to look at some state lands just west of CAR/PQI.  Nice PC day there, but I fully expected a challenging drive south thru the storm.  Only sporadic light rain until 7:30 PM, 20 minutes after I got home, then came the downpour - storm total 2.60" as of 7 this morning (and not much after that), but lots of 3-4" reports nearby, and up to 6"+ for PWM and a few places just north of there.  Only moderate winds for my area, though there were significant power outages to the south, whether from wind, lightning, flooding, or AOTA I don't know.

It was definitely a solid soaking here and it is nice to see some cooler weather. My goal this winter is not to be the ass I became last year LOL. All in all March ended up being solid. Bring on the fall :)

Haha just give us a warning storm before February and we'll be alright. A bunch of us up here were losing it by the end of January.

Haha just give us a warning storm before February and we'll be alright. A bunch of us up here were losing it by the end of January.

'Fraid so - got tired of seeing my snow total in the bottom half of KevInMA's table, behind all those CT/MA peeps (and everyone else in Maine, too.)  Mid-Feb onward, foothill force came to the fore.

Archived