Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

beautiful down here,perfect day

I can't remember such a cold few days this early in September since I've been here. It's like 50-52F has been the ceiling the past 72 hours. Temps rise up through the 40s and hit a brick wall as they approach 50F.

Woodsmoke smell drifting through town and heat on, windows closed tight. If it goes back to 70+ (which it will Indian Summer style), it's going to feel downright hot. Hard to believe BTV had a 74F overnight low temp like 8 days ago lol.

I can't remember such a cold few days this early in September since I've been here. It's like 50-52F has been the ceiling the past 72 hours. Temps rise up through the 40s and hit a brick wall as they approach 50F.

Woodsmoke smell drifting through town and heat on, windows closed tight. If it goes back to 70+ (which it will Indian Summer style), it's going to feel downright hot. Hard to believe BTV had a 74F overnight low temp like 8 days ago lol.

Looks like ending on 9/30/00 BTV averaged 45.7 for 3 days.

MVL averaged 41.0 for that same stretch (I think they are about 51 for this most recent 3 days).

top of Mansfield pic on Twitter IMG_20140914_151649_1.jpg

Looks like ending on 9/30/00 BTV averaged 45.7 for 3 days.

MVL averaged 41.0 for that same stretch (I think they are about 51 for this most recent 3 days).

Ahhh yeah before my time up here. Gotta imagine MVL was lower than a 51F average lately or is that including the last day of warmth?

Nice winter followed that other cold SEPT in 2000/2001 ;)

It won't include today's misery, so I suspect that it will drop several degrees if I look tomorrow.

Ahhh, and is that midnight to midnight...or 12z?

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?table=1&banner=off&sid=KMVL

The 12z high/lows tomorrow morning and previous 72 hours will be interesting.

So far it's 54/37, 53/36, and whatever tomorrow morning is.

Ahhh, and is that midnight to midnight...or 12z?

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?table=1&banner=off&sid=KMVL

The 12z high/lows tomorrow morning and previous 72 hours will be interesting.

So far it's 54/37, 53/36, and whatever tomorrow morning is.

Should be the midnight to midnight you would see in the CLIMVL

So nice to see the sun after like 72 hours of inversion.

I'm surprised the foliage seems very weak and mostly green or brown-green right now, even up high at 3000ft. Hopefully the cold spell will jump start it...wish we can get some high diurnal ranges in the coming couple weeks...I want like 70/35 type days with sunshine.

I'm surprised the foliage seems very weak and mostly green or brown-green right now, even up high at 3000ft. Hopefully the cold spell will jump start it...wish we can get some high diurnal ranges in the coming couple weeks...I want like 70/35 type days with sunshine.

I am with you here. It would be nice to get something good fired up soon. We need those crisp nights and warm dry days.

Powder,  I've decided I just don't like the look of Mansfield.  Never really thought much about it but some mountains are just more appealing than others.  Mount Washington is a good looking mountain but Mansfield just looks "weird".  We need to bring up a few thousand bulldozers and build a nice peak to the ridge.

Already down to 44F up on th hill as of 8pm, winter closing in quickly!

Powder,  I've decided I just don't like the look of Mansfield.  Never really thought much about it but some mountains are just more appealing than others.  Mount Washington is a good looking mountain but Mansfield just looks "weird".  We need to bring up a few thousand bulldozers and build a nice peak to the ridge.

Already down to 44F up on th hill as of 8pm, winter closing in quickly!

Camels Hump to me is the most aesthetically pleasing mountain in VT...I agree, Mansfield is more a "wall" than a mountain.  There are many others like it along the Green Mountain spine.  Like Sugarbush ski area/Lincoln Peak/Mount Ellen are very similar in just a long ridgeline up near 4,000ft with smaller "peaks" along the ridgeline...Same with the Killington area and why Killington occupies "7 peaks"...all along the same ridge.  VT is in essence a lot of ridgelines, two in particular.  The Orange Heights area up through Walden, and the Spine.  The Adirondacks and Whites have many more stand-alone peaks.

However, the benefit is the orographic effects of precipitation is much more enhanced in VT over the other areas in general because the air is forced up and over the higher ridgelines...where as with stand alone peaks the air can flow around them.  I know the NWS has stated this as to why the Greens get more snow than the Adirondack high peaks...you get a larger area of concentrated rising air, instead of air that is able to go around a summit cone.

This is Camels Hump from Lake Champlain...which is still situated on a 2,000ft ridge but the peak has more relief than a lot of other VT mountains.

CamelsHump.jpg

This is Mansfield viewed from the south...you always only see it from the side in my photos, haha.

Mansfield-from-the-summit-of-Camels-Hump

Yeah that's what you need, a wetter summer, but then a dry sunny fall with warm days, cool nights, but also equally important no hard freezes.

Well we absolutely torched the first week of September so my guess it will accelerate soon with the next cold shot.

9pm..it is cold outside! 40F at the house like MVL.

49F CON

48F LEW

47F HIE (still OVC though)

46F BML (OVC)

46F BTV

44F LEB

43F IZG

42F 1V4

40F MVL

38F MPV

36F SLK

1P1 down to 38F, but went from 10SM to 2SM in 20 mins. They'll fog up fairly soon...maybe they tack off another 3F or so.

42.5F here currently, but the drop has slowed.

Archived