wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First frost, with dew solidly frozen atop both vehicles, temp 31-32. Might zap the zucchini but should not tickle the tomatoes. Since my median date for first frost is the 18th, nothing special about this year's date.

Could not see any display last night, though the trees limit our horizon and I didn't go out looking for better views.

Thank you guys! I didn't do all that much enhancement to that either. It was quite a site when the spikes were dancing. It was also quite chilly which was nice for the atmosphere of it all. The downside is I came home smelling like a cow pasture as I was pull off a dirt road on a big farm's field (no crops on the side I was standing on, just grass but there were definitely cows somewhere close by). Across the road you can see the corn stalks in the shot. I got lucky and followed my hunch that it would be best right after dark with the storm already ongoing for hours. Sure enough that was correct as it faded out even before the moon rose.

Thank you guys! I didn't do all that much enhancement to that either. It was quite a site when the spikes were dancing. It was also quite chilly which was nice for the atmosphere of it all. The downside is I came home smelling like a cow pasture as I was pull off a dirt road on a big farm's field (no crops on the side I was standing on, just grass but there were definitely cows somewhere close by). Across the road you can see the corn stalks in the shot. I got lucky and followed my hunch that it would be best right after dark with the storm already ongoing for hours. Sure enough that was correct as it faded out even before the moon rose.

\

Cornstalks! I thought maybe it was the march of the triffids.

Gorgeous colors!

Looks like 55.6F may be the high today...down to 54.8F with rain moving in.

Feels like it one of those sleety/graupel type days in October. It is brutally raw out there after the high heat a week ago.

37F at the summit restaurant but nothing chunky falling. I half expect someone to radio down that they have pellets falling or something.

I drove north to get out of the cloud bank and took this in Swanton, VT! It was impressive for about 20 minutes with dancing spikes/curtains.

gallery_139_48_17243.jpg

Great shot eyewall.  I watched it too and it was just awesome.  Didn't last long, just around 8:45pm.  That's when Mount Washington got its shot too.  I was watching from a mountain top at 1700 feet.  Ran home to get my Cannon 5D  and by the time I got back 20 minutes later, nothing.  

Fired up the wood stove this PM.  Its amazing how fast the seasons change up here!

Great shot eyewall. I watched it too and it was just awesome. Didn't last long, just around 8:45pm. That's when Mount Washington got its shot too. I was watching from a mountain top at 1700 feet. Ran home to get my Cannon 5D and by the time I got back 20 minutes later, nothing.

Fired up the wood stove this PM. Its amazing how fast the seasons change up here!

heat

That high picks a perfect time to crest over us. CON record is somewhat susceptible (30F). That's the last record of the cold season of 30F+. GFS has 2m temps below freezing here.

If you use the old rule of thumb and chop a couple degrees off your 850 mb temps to get the low, that would definitely be flirting with the record.

Pittsburg had a midnight high of 49 yesterday and hovered in the mid 40s most of the day. Fall is here.

I just turned the heat on... from AC to heat in 7-8 days.

This was yesterday's and today will look similar...again highs in the low 50s, possible record low maxes again.  I'm just shocked that a week after a day of 86/70 we are doing 51/36 type stuff.  Not sure any models really grasped this...people are walking around in shorts and t-shirts like WTF while its 49-50F in the middle of the afternoon.  BTV had a high temp that was 20-degrees colder than the Key West type low temperature a week ago.

Look at the 24 hour high of 40s in the Adirondacks, higher terrain of the Spine, and higher terrain NE VT up towards Pittsburgh, NH.

I just turned the heat on... from AC to heat in 7-8 days.

This was yesterday's and today will look similar...again highs in the low 50s, possible record low maxes again.  I'm just shocked that a week after a day of 86/70 we are doing 51/36 type stuff.  Not sure any models really grasped this...people are walking around in shorts and t-shirts like WTF while its 49-50F in the middle of the afternoon.

attachicon.gifmax_temp.png

attachicon.gifmin_temp.png

Going to be a chilly night for Grand Point North down on the waterfront in Burlington.

If you use the old rule of thumb and chop a couple degrees off your 850 mb temps to get the low, that would definitely be flirting with the record.

Yeah...that usually works well for CON. I usually use the exact 850 temp as a guide for mby since I'm on a hillside and don't radiate as well as they do. So if that prog came to fruition I could envision 32-33F here and 29-31F at CON. MEX has 35F which isn't too bad for d6.

Yeah...that usually works well for CON. I usually use the exact 850 temp as a guide for mby since I'm on a hillside and don't radiate as well as they do. So if that prog came to fruition I could envision 32-33F here and 29-31F at CON. MEX has 35F which isn't too bad for d6.

The 12z suite definitely came in much cooler too, our consensus blend of all guidance dropped 3-4 degrees from 06z to 12z.

The 12z suite definitely came in much cooler too, our consensus blend of all guidance dropped 3-4 degrees from 06z to 12z.

Chris....random question.

Do you know what the aspiration rate or fan rpms is for ASOS temp sensors? My fan motor is about 2000rpm, but I'm considering getting a 6v motor (versus 3v) that runs at almost 3000rpm.

First frost comes so much later for me than the surrounding lowlands.  People who settled this area knew what they were doing.  My house was built in 1795 and being 600 feet higher than the surrounding area really delays the frosts.  Hill just to the NW of the house helps with the wind too.  

Guess this cold shot coming up will really get the foliage going.  

Chris....random question.

Do you know what the aspiration rate or fan rpms is for ASOS temp sensors? My fan motor is about 2000rpm, but I'm considering getting a 6v motor (versus 3v) that runs at almost 3000rpm.

Woof, just went down the rabbit's hole of gov't documents trying to see if we had that information somewhere. Turns out it's buried pretty deep, as none of the technical, password-protected ASOS documents references anything other than that there is aspirator installed.

From bits and pieces though it seems like 3 m/s popped up a few times, and a few other gov't aspirators (non-ASOS) were around 3000 RPM. So I would guess we use similar.

Archived