• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

57.5F right now...not bad for 5pm. I'll be watching for aurora too.

Afternoon high of 51F so far at MVL...I'm really pissed about the 55F at midnight, haha. I wanted a high of 51F on September 12th. We didn't come close to the forecast highs.

Fall day all around...temps 49-51F at max heating with overcast and slate gray skies.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have a good link for that info?

I was reading ona blog, but didn't know where to find the data in real time.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ace/MAG_SWEPAM_2h.html

You want a high Bt and low Bz... if the Bz is positive you won't see anything.

Faster updating raw data http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ftpdir/lists/ace/ace_mag_1m.txt

Keep in mind the ACE spacecraft is almost a million miles out in space and conditions there don't impact the earth for about 30 minutes depending on solar wind speed.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ace/MAG_SWEPAM_2h.html

You want a high Bt and low Bz... if the Bz is positive you won't see anything.

Faster updating raw data http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ftpdir/lists/ace/ace_mag_1m.txt

Keep in mind the ACE spacecraft is almost a million miles out in space and conditions there don't impact the earth for about 30 minutes depending on solar wind speed.

Nice, this is helpful. Thanks.

swpc is forecastin the Kp index to max out later tonight around 7...not sure how accurate their forecasts are, but hopefully there will be a window of decent acitvity. 7 isn't awesome, but usually you can get some good photos anyway and if lucky see with naked eye.

Nice, this is helpful. Thanks.

swpc is forecastin the Kp index to max out later tonight around 7...not sure how accurate their forecasts are, but hopefully there will be a window of decent acitvity. 7 isn't awesome, but usually you can get some good photos anyway and if lucky see with naked eye.

A kp of 7 can definitely lead to activity you can see with the naked eye.  I've found that it's the point at which you can start to make out visible movement, vertical rays and even colors other than green.  It really depends on proximity of local substorming within the main auroral belt.

I have pictures I've taken from 2001-2004 that show what each kp looks like from 5 up through 9... maybe I'll see if I can find them and post.

A kp of 7 can definitely lead to activity you can see with the naked eye.  I've found that it's the point at which you can start to make out visible movement, vertical rays and even colors other than green.  It really depends on proximity of local substorming within the main auroral belt.

I have pictures I've taken from 2001-2004 that show what each kp looks like from 5 up through 9... maybe I'll see if I can find them and post.

I assume the 2003 event was a 9?

I know next to nothing about solar weather.  Is this good or bad?  

Bad.

Aurora cancel?

Delayed, but not necessarily cancelled since the Btotal is still at a very high level of 30.  We're just waiting for things to flip.

This graph shows the average over the last 3 hours... it's at 7 because of that prolonged period of negative Bz's a little while ago.  The next update will probably be a 5.

Bad.

Delayed, but not necessarily cancelled since the Btotal is still at a very high level of 30.  We're just waiting for things to flip.

This graph shows the average over the last 3 hours... it's at 7 because of that prolonged period of negative Bz's a little while ago.  The next update will probably be a 5.

Oh, you're harshing on my mellow!

Archived