• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
NNE Summer Thread

mreaves

Woof, just went down the rabbit's hole of gov't documents trying to see if we had that information somewhere. Turns out it's buried pretty deep, as none of the technical, password-protected ASOS documents references anything other than that there is aspirator installed.

From bits and pieces though it seems like 3 m/s popped up a few times, and a few other gov't aspirators (non-ASOS) were around 3000 RPM. So I would guess we use similar.

Awesome. Thanks for digging deep for that. I find my temp to be more responsive than most home stations because of the motors I use, but I wanted to see how close I could get it to ASOS.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great shot eyewall.  I watched it too and it was just awesome.  Didn't last long, just around 8:45pm.  That's when Mount Washington got its shot too.  I was watching from a mountain top at 1700 feet.  Ran home to get my Cannon 5D  and by the time I got back 20 minutes later, nothing.  

Fired up the wood stove this PM.  Its amazing how fast the seasons change up here!

I am glad you saw it but sorry it was over when you had the camera ready. It definitely was short lived. I saw the MWN shot and it is awesome. What I like is you can actually see the same parts of it that I was photographing in their shot. That was a great wide angle on their part, and you can beat watching it up there.

Right. Nothing says fall better than 50F rain.

Woodstove felt good today. Our furnace was set for domestic hot water only, and the inside temp was 54, just a bit chillier than we prefer.

lol mine got down to 57F inside before I had to turn it on.

It is just downright nasty out. 50F with gusts of 20-25mph blowing sheet mist/drizzle (what I think Eek calls misery mist) sideways. It's very damp but it seems the rain is falling sideways as much as down due to very small droplets.

I can't remember conditions this miserable in general since probably April. The increase in SW winds is really what's taking it to the "ugh" level. If only the leaves were changed fully and and there were pumpkins everywhere would it feel more like autumn lol.

lol mine got down to 57F inside before I had to turn it on.

It is just downright nasty out. 50F with gusts of 20-25mph blowing sheet mist/drizzle (what I think Eek calls misery mist) sideways. It's very damp but it seems the rain is falling sideways as much as down due to very small droplets.

I can't remember conditions this miserable in general since probably April. The increase in SW winds is really what's taking it to the "ugh" level. If only the leaves were changed fully and and there were pumpkins everywhere would it feel more like autumn lol.

Was just thinking of posting similar thoughts. Wind driven sheet drizzle and 50. Nice!

Spent the day at the Tunbridge Fair. On the drive home the temp ranged from 42-46 with rain. Started a fire when we got home. Nothing quite like eating fried dough and watching pig races.

I misspent a goodly portion of my youth at the Tunbridge Worlds Fair. The beer hall there is legendary. Back in my teen years the sheriffs were much more lenient about people walking around with open containers and rarely checked ids. I also won several blue ribbons for sheep and maple syrup. Love that place and it is one of the prettiest valleys in the state. Almost like stepping back into the 19th century.

Another day of record low maxes...today at BTV, MSS, MPV, 1V4. Nice to see some record low maxes around here...don't get them too often anymore. I'm thinking March must've had a couple though.

Record Report

Statement as of 2:23 am EDT on September 13, 2014

... New record low maximum temperatures for September 12th set at Burlington

Vermont-Montpelier Vermont-Saint Johnsbury Vermont and Massena New York...

A new record low maximum temperature record for September 12th of

56 degrees was set at Burlington Vermont (btv). The previous record

low maximum temperature for September 12th for Burlington Vermont

was 57 degrees set in 1985 and 1964.

A new record low maximum temperature for September 12th of 52 degrees

was set at Montpelier Vermont (mpv). The previous record low

maximum temperature for September 12th for Montpelier Vermont was

55 degrees set in 1985.

A new record low maximum temperature for September 12th of 55 degrees

was set at Saint Johnsbury Vermont (1v4). The previous record low

maximum temperature for September 12th for Saint Johnsbury Vermont

was 58 degrees set in 1985.

A new record low maximum temperature for September 12th of 54 degrees

was set at Massena New York (mss). The previous record low maximum

temperature for September 12th for Massena New York was 56 degrees

set in 1964.

Another day of record low maxes...today at BTV, MSS, MPV, 1V4. Nice to see some record low maxes around here...don't get them too often anymore. I'm thinking March must've had a couple though.

Record Report

Statement as of 2:23 am EDT on September 13, 2014

... New record low maximum temperatures for September 12th set at Burlington

Vermont-Montpelier Vermont-Saint Johnsbury Vermont and Massena New York...

A new record low maximum temperature record for September 12th of

56 degrees was set at Burlington Vermont (btv). The previous record

low maximum temperature for September 12th for Burlington Vermont

was 57 degrees set in 1985 and 1964.

A new record low maximum temperature for September 12th of 52 degrees

was set at Montpelier Vermont (mpv). The previous record low

maximum temperature for September 12th for Montpelier Vermont was

55 degrees set in 1985.

A new record low maximum temperature for September 12th of 55 degrees

was set at Saint Johnsbury Vermont (1v4). The previous record low

maximum temperature for September 12th for Saint Johnsbury Vermont

was 58 degrees set in 1985.

A new record low maximum temperature for September 12th of 54 degrees

was set at Massena New York (mss). The previous record low maximum

temperature for September 12th for Massena New York was 56 degrees

set in 1964.

That was yesterday for 09/12.

I think MPV/1V4 still might've gotten them today.

Chilly days continue....low was 44F but as of 10am still 46F and going nowhere quickly.

Mansfield sitting at 32F right now and looks like it snuck down to 31F for the first freezing temps of the season.

Same as the last couple days, high temps getting lowered in the forecast.

"Sunday...low clouds hanging in across the region at this time. Most of this moisture is in the 1000-850 mb layer ..so have updated the sky grids using the nam12 model for guidance. Still expecting skies to become partly sunny this afternoon. Have lowered the maximum temperatures for today a few degrees based on latest GFS lamp guidance and 06z GFS MOS guidance. "

Chilly days continue....low was 44F but as of 10am still 46F and going nowhere quickly.

Mansfield sitting at 32F right now and looks like it snuck down to 31F for the first freezing temps of the season.

Same as the last couple days, high temps getting lowered in the forecast.

"Sunday...low clouds hanging in across the region at this time. Most of this moisture is in the 1000-850 mb layer ..so have updated the sky grids using the nam12 model for guidance. Still expecting skies to become partly sunny this afternoon. Have lowered the maximum temperatures for today a few degrees based on latest GFS lamp guidance and 06z GFS MOS guidance. "

MOS for the loss kind of days.

MOS for the loss kind of days.

And we must've just entered the time of year when mixing of the atmosphere just comes to a halt...MWN keeps coming out in the sun with undercast, while it's been murky, cold, low-ceiling cloudy from 2,000-5,000ft these few days.

Pesky inversion. Haven't seen the sun in days, in the NW flow areas. This is the exact opposite of the springtime when Eastern areas get locked in the cold murk banking up against the mountains, lol.

BTV going 32F here tonight.

I'm at 53F at noon. I start taking notice here with highs near 57F (I pretty much avg 25F drops on strong rad nights). I'd like to see dews drop a little more to prevent us from fogging up too early. There were lots of near freezing temps upstream in MI this morning.

That's freakin' awesome!  So is that wave dynamics at work?  Downslope downwind of MWN, but then rising air again further downstream?  Or are the arrows the vectors and its convergence behind the mountain?

It's not so much a wave in an up and down sense over the Presidentials, it's an around that converges again downstream and forces upward motion. Obviously some air is getting over MWN, but much of it is being forced around today.

It's not so much a wave in an up and down sense over the Presidentials, it's an around that converges again downstream and forces upward motion. Obviously some air is getting over MWN, but much of it is being forced around today.

Ah that makes a lot more sense in that those clouds are oriented more NW-SE instead of a linear band from SW-NE that's equidistant from the Presidentials (like downwind wave clouds in that area often are).

Ah that makes a lot more sense in that those clouds are oriented more NW-SE instead of a linear band from SW-NE that's equidistant from the Presidentials (like downwind wave clouds in that area often are).

You can see it right in the station obs plots. The LCI/1P1 barbs are 270-290° and LEW is about 350°.

Archived