• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Severe weather: 5/10-5/12 Plains/Midwest

Maybe the outflow boundary from the cell to its SW will cut off inflow to the Omaha TVS. I'm skeptical that a violent tornado can come out of this before it passes closest to downtown Omaha, but it will be close. Environment is favorable. Unfortunately the next several miles are through populated areas, but fortunately the cell is so messy that nothing significant may come of it.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the outflow boundary cell to its SW will cut off inflow to the Omaha TVS. I'm skeptical that a violent tornado can come out of this before it passes closest to downtown Omaha, but it will be close. Environment is favorable.

Also looks like it may be veering to the northeast slightly. We'll see what happens, it is quite the HP mess now.

Seems like the rotation is trending more to the north than previous scans. May miss Omaha proper as it looks now.

Right now the environment down in KS looks more favorable for non-HP / classic supercell structures, fortunately. Anvil-level winds are weaker over the Omaha metro area. I think Omaha proper will dodge a bullet.

Right now the environment down in KS looks more favorable for non-HP / classic supercell structures, fortunately. Anvil-level winds are weaker over the Omaha metro area. I think Omaha proper will dodge a bullet.

Yeah, I agree. NE storms have become a mess, but may still produce some embedded QLCS tornadoes. KS is certainly becoming more interesting. If storms don't line out then we could see some nocturnal tornadoes as LLJ continues to strengthen.

Omaha cell had so much potential too...just a meh line of wind now.  But behind the initial push there does appear to be a significant slug of rain for the metro region.

You're disappointed that we didn't have a huge wedge going through a highly populated area?

My guess is that the cell to the south helped chock off the inflow.  God knows we've seen plenty of HP supercells produce violent tornadoes.

Well one thing that appeared to be happening is that the RFD was always overwhelming the inflow so that any tornadoes that developed were short lived before occluding.

Very impressive, 71 knots!

Omaha, NE:

KOMA 120052Z 27054G71KT 1/4SM R14R/1200VP6000FT +TSRA SQ FEW030CB BKN100 OVC110 18/17 A2955 RMK AO2 PK WND 27071/0051 WSHFT 0029 RAB10 SLP004 CONS LTGICCCCACG TS SW-OHD-NW MOV NE P0002 T01780167

Very impressive, 71 knots!

Omaha, NE:

KOMA 120052Z 27054G71KT 1/4SM R14R/1200VP6000FT +TSRA SQ FEW030CB BKN100 OVC110 18/17 A2955 RMK AO2 PK WND 27071/0051 WSHFT 0029 RAB10 SLP004 CONS LTGICCCCACG TS SW-OHD-NW MOV NE P0002 T01780167

Yeah, Omaha area got pounded for 5-10min with anywhere between 60-80mph winds after the supercell gusted out.

surprised cell heading towards Salina doesn't have a warning, nice rotation showing up on velocity

I was going to ask a similar question. Seems like ICT has been more conservative as of late to issue TOR warnings. Case in point... yesterday, even though the storm near Severy had several reports of funnel clouds and a couple of brief touchdowns there was never a TOR warning. 

Yeah, Omaha area got pounded for 5-10min with anywhere between 60-80mph winds after the supercell gusted out.

it started looking that way as it moved into the city. Told my buddy to prepare for really high winds. Hopefully no major damage in Omaha.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Any word on chasers getting hit today? It was a little sketchy outside of Cordova and it seemed like a fair amount of people were getting close to that rain wrapped beast. A lot of people were on that today.

Apparently someone got hit, but are okay. Pretty stupid if you ask me. There weren't any big surprises with that NE storm. Stay out of the mesocyclone or risk losing your life.

Any word on chasers getting hit today? It was a little sketchy outside of Cordova and it seemed like a fair amount of people were getting close to that rain wrapped beast. A lot of people were on that today.

Looks like Cloud 9 Tours got hit by farm equipment debris...not sure if they were directly in the circulation. Appears from Charles Edward's Facebook page that all are OK.

interesting.  Why would you think that would be the case?  

Well I could be wrong on this idea, but since most of the storm was actually on the cold side of the boundary (with northerly winds to the north of it) aside from the inflow region, since the RFD was being sourced from the colder air on that side of the boundary, instead of spurring on long-lived tornadoes, the relatively colder (and thus heavier/denser) air in the RFD (as compared to a storm further south) may have made it more effective at leading to occlusion/cutting off of the low level circulation/inflow. Again, this explanation might not be correct (feel free to correct me if it is), as my knowledge of these processes still needs some work, but the northerly winds north of the warm front intrigued me in this case.

Obviously, the fact that it was relatively HP from the start had a say in this as well.

Also there is a report of a house destroyed to the basement/foundation earlier near Sutton from the first large tornado that cell produced.

Well I could be wrong on this idea, but since most of the storm was actually on the cold side of the boundary (with northerly winds to the north of it) aside from the inflow region, since the RFD was being sourced from the colder air on that side of the boundary, instead of spurring on long-lived tornadoes, the relatively colder (and thus heavier/denser) air in the RFD (as compared to a storm further south) may have made it more effective at leading to occlusion/cutting off of the low level circulation/inflow. Again, this explanation might not be correct (feel free to correct me if it is), as my knowledge of these processes still needs some work, but the northerly winds north of the warm front intrigued me in this case.

Obviously, the fact that it was relatively HP from the start had a say in this as well.

Also there is a report of a house destroyed to the basement/foundation earlier near Sutton from the first large tornado that cell produced.

Actually that seems perfectly reasonable.  I was a bit "concerned" earlier when I noticed the best tornadic indices were north of the warm front, as areas south of the warm front had a combination of relatively low helicity and high LCLs.  

Archived