• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Severe weather: 5/10-5/12 Plains/Midwest

Did anyone happen to save a radar screen shot of the storm near Cordova, NE around 5:20? I had an interesting time on Denton Rd just east of 80e/420th St with some power poles snapping next to me. I figure it was RFD but I am really curious to see how fast it was moving because I was going at least 45-50mph and those rain/wind curtains caught me easily.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rotational couplet didn't seem that strong from the ICT radar... hopefully it wasn't too bad.

NWSWichita retweeted this from @travisheying that works for the Wichita Eagle.

Guess it was just south of the gas refinery.

BnZ6QWUCMAEpxg3.jpg

Did anyone happen to save a radar screen shot of the storm near Cordova, NE around 5:20? I had an interesting time on Denton Rd just east of 80e/420th St with some power poles snapping next to me. I figure it was RFD but I am really curious to see how fast it was moving because I was going at least 45-50mph and those rain/wind curtains caught me easily.

Is that you in Bart's video with the mesonet on top of the car? Powerpoles snapped on his video with another vehicle right there with him.

Pretty challenging chase today with all the traffic, and the HP nature of the beast.  Followed the storm from near Friend NE, up to near Omaha.  Caught a glimpse through the rain of the tornado east of Beaver Crossing.  Definitely not the most photogenic to say the least.  Low light and wrapping rain curtains made for some frustrating photo/vid ops lol.  All in all a fun chase.  Always fun to see such a dominant beast of a storm.

Time lapse as the monster couplet approached north of Friend NE.

Grungy view of the tornado east of Beaver Crossing.

2m2esly.jpg

Just north of Lincoln NE

1z23qrp.jpg

5:07 PM

6p2es5.jpg

5:07 PM

24ytj69.jpg

5:14 PM

11kw08n.jpg

5:14 PM

ji2dtu.jpg

5:20 PM (only have velocity scan)

a4a2kz.jpg

5:27 PM

dorjab.jpg

xmtw6q.jpg

29w8flt.jpg

My involvement with a "chase" was a few miles south of Missouri Valley, IA with my uncle, where the rotation headed and was weakening substantially. Unfortunatley, camera on phone did not catch the entire remnants of the wall cloud but it was still there and rotating in part 1 of my video. We got hit with constant 40+mph winds and a few instances I could feel it hitting 70 or above. On the drive back south on I-29, there was a few large trees across the interstate that were already pulverized by semi's.

We saw a truck crushed on road next to interstate so we had to loop around and get to him. A lot of downed trees in the way but we eventually got to him and he was shaken up but safe. The most interesting part about the area just on the northern edge of Council Bluffs was small clusters of trees along the road that were clearly slammed hard to the ground with how much the large branches from the trees were broken apart. I would have gotten more pictures of them but we were more focused on making sure the guy was ok.

post-5624-0-77955100-1399908492_thumb.jp

post-5624-0-56382200-1399908502_thumb.jp

post-5624-0-20815400-1399908512_thumb.jp

Also there is a report of a house destroyed to the basement/foundation earlier near Sutton from the first large tornado that cell produced.

The supercell had quite an intense couplet at that time and location. For a time I was very concerned about the south half of Sutton, but the tornado just missed it. Maybe we'll see an EF4 rating based upon the destruction of the single home, as in the case of New Linden, IL, last fall.

As an aside, how did Beaver Crossing fare? The TVS went almost directly overhead.

Were the Dominators near you as well?

Yesterday sucked, plain and simple. High UH on convection-allowing models and tornadic supercells don't mean squat when the RFDs are as big as the FFDs and you have to risk your life for fleeting, rain-soaked views of dancing vortices. We didn't see much of anything on the long-track Sutton-Lincoln-Omaha supercell, and dropped it just W of Lincoln; that was far more time than it deserved. Then while trying to get S out of the grungefest, we lost data for awhile and suddenly found ourselves within a couple miles of a brief but intense spinup W of Swanton (N of Fairbury). It was associated with one of many messy, transient supercells training along the KS/NE border which were eager to tilt the outrageous low-level shear during their short lifespans.

The dew point map at 00z last night was one of the most deflating images I've ever seen, and felt like the death knell for the 2014 chase season for southern areas (I know it's not that simple, but my goodness). I thought the intense advection at low-levels would finally help to offset drought effects, but something clearly went awry. I haven't had a chance to analyze everything in detail due to being the driver for chases both Sat-Sun, though.

Saturday, OTOH, was one of the top few non-tornadic chase days I've ever had. Jaw-dropping structure on multiple storms training over the same area E of Wichita with great lighting and blue skies behind them. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being my favorite chase of the year.

Holy crap, I saw the still image from that tornado passed around Twitter yesterday and was slightly skeptical that the entire thing was the tornado. After watching that video clip though...wow.

Yeah, I think soon enough the chaser community is going to start giving up these wall cloud on the ground HP ones. Rare as they are, no fun at all. Wide RFD and vorticies whipping around.

Yeah there's no sign the chaser community has learned anything other than sticking the tornado needle in your arm is quite a rush.  Tho I wonder how much of this recent stuff is just us finding out about it when it was not mentioned prior.

Yeah there's no sign the chaser community has learned anything other than sticking the tornado needle in your arm is quite a rush.  Tho I wonder how much of this recent stuff is just us finding out about it when it was not mentioned prior.

Yep. I've counted 3 different "experienced" chase groups that were impacted by tornadoes on Sunday. I thought it might change after Kirkwood and especially El Reno. I guess I thought wrong.

Yeah there's no sign the chaser community has learned anything other than sticking the tornado needle in your arm is quite a rush.

I thought it might change after Kirkwood and especially El Reno. I guess I thought wrong.

This "I guess no one learned anything after El Reno" stuff is lol worthy nonsense.

What did we learn that day that we didn't already know? Tornadoes kill...knew it. Tornadoes and storms are unpredictable...knew it. Chasing can be risky...knew it. Getting close can be deadly...knew it. There's nothing different that we know now compared to before El Reno occurred.

The people that sit behind a computer and post about how others should go about their life are the problem. Each person has a choice to do what they want. Some, such as Reed, like to get right up in it. While you have others that generally like to watch things from a given distance. There's no right and wrong, just a lot of idiotic opinion.

Beaver's Crossing tornado rated EF3 and 1.5 miles wide in Seward County... 7 other tornadoes confirmed thus far in the Omaha CWA with one other strong tornado at EF2... Hastings office has not published surveys yet that I have seen.

Beaver's Crossing tornado rated EF3 and 1.5 miles wide in Seward County... 7 other tornadoes confirmed thus far in the Omaha CWA with one other strong tornado at EF2... Hastings office has not published surveys yet that I have seen.

GID put out a PNS with survey info this evening.

Sutton tor was an EF-3 and the Fairmont tor was an EF-2.

Archived