• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe weather: 5/10-5/12 Plains/Midwest

Please read what I say regarding Type I and Type II errors. Dual pole does not give false TOR on the ground. It can miss TOR though. My 100% comment is in contrast to the old velocity TVS which could give false positive - Type I error. Everything else you say is right. Perhaps I should have written more clearly when I was lauding the improvements of dual pole. Cheers!

Dual-pol still wouldn't be able to see a debris signature (if there even is one to begin with) when the storm is too far away unless the debris was lofted high enough to begin with which I believe you stated. However, if there is minimal to no signature even when echo was in optimal distance (e.g. open empty field), then how could dual-pol still 100% confirm a TOR? (yes i understand likely will see a nice couplet, but even then still doesn't confirm without ground truth). I'm not arguing your chasers spotting 200 yards away, or that we still needs spotters... only the assumption that a radar can indicate, 100% that there is a tornado. 

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived