• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
May 2014

uncle W

Really lucked out this past Memorial weekend. Can you imagine if it was like this a couple of days ago. 

We lucked out a few years, last year we had 40 degree weather 2 days prior.  All in all not bad and we deal with this for a day and 1/2 and then cool but very nice fri - sun. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS continues to be the most enthusiastic with the ridge and subsequent warmth building in next week.  By no means is this a super hot airmass as projected but by mon - wed look warm with potentially another run at 90 for many areas. We'll see where it goes on the rest of the guidance.  Also kinda normal-ish look after that perhaps overall warmer than normal if ever so slightly beyond day 7.

The CFS is going with above normal temps here in June. But the interesting thing to watch

for is if we do it the same way as this month. This month was defined by above normal

average temperatures but lackluster high temperatures only maxing out in upper 80's at Newark.

We probably need a few weeks to see how things evolve. We should eventually see some 90

degree days at some point during the month, but real June heat has been defined by 95 and

up at Newark.

We lucked out a few years, last year we had 40 degree weather 2 days prior.  All in all not bad and we deal with this for a day and 1/2 and then cool but very nice fri - sun. 

I mean I love this kind of weather. It would be great to have a few days of warmth and then a few days of cool going back and forth all summer. While there's an above normal look for June, I don't expect anything too crazy or record breaking. I doubt we see a lot of 90F days for June TBH. 

The CFS is going with above normal temps here in June. But the interesting thing to watch

for is if we do it the same way as this month. This month was defined by above normal

average temperatures but lackluster high temperatures only maxing out in upper 80's at Newark.

We probably need a few weeks to see how things evolve. We should eventually see some 90

degree days at some point during the month, but real June heat has been defined by 95 and

up at Newark.

attachicon.gifCFSv2.NaT2m.20140528.201406.gif

Considering Newark seems to hit 90 under airmasses conducive for mid 80s in the summer, I would agree that 95F defines real heat for them.

If June is in fact warmer than normal in our area, probabilities increase significantly for a warmer than average JJA period overall. Most summers that featured a normal to above normal June yielded the entire JJA normal to above normal (similar to the December -->DJF temp correlation as well).

The JMA and ECMWF weeklies generally look near normal for the coming weeks, with periods of above and below. Right now I'm not seeing any strong signals for big cold or big heat for the month of June.

up at Newark.

attachicon.gifCFSv2.NaT2m.20140528.201406.gif

Interesingly in this last stretch of hot summers (2005,06,08,10,11,12,13) only June 2008 and 05 stood out as the hottest against normals or featured the hottest temps of the season.  2011 was near normal as was last year.  I still think we'll follow the past few years and see a period in July as the hottest against the mean and hottest of the summer.

Before it was 88 in dc and 40s in boston

That was similar to my basement and upstairs yesterday afternoon.  GFS hinting the Western Atlantic ridge flexes west a bit the middle of next week.  We'll see to what extent looks like it could lead to more of a humid flow after some early week warmth.   

going from hot to cold this time of year isn't new...It has happened many times before...The Ocean played a big roll each time...I remember when I was 12 we had a record high temp set on June 13th of 96...The next day it was 88 when a cold front passed with thunder storms dropping the temperature to 53 before midnight...the next day's max/min was 66/54...Then it got hot again a few days later...

tue/wed looks active with a humid airmass, a front nearby, and an approaching s/w

The Euro has been hinting at this for awhile now and the 12z GFS is a soaker from Monday through much of Wednesday. We might get in on some remnant tropical rains as well should something get going in the gulf or Caribbean and propagate around the periphery of the western Atlantic ridge. Wet fun times ahead.

The Euro has been hinting at this for awhile now and the 12z GFS is a soaker from Monday through much of Wednesday. We might get in on some remnant tropical rains as well should something get going in the gulf or Caribbean and propagate around the periphery of the western Atlantic ridge. Wet fun times ahead.

I don't trust the gfs in the qpf department. It was insistent we'd see widespread 1"+ amounts Tuesday and many of us saw nothing

I don't trust the gfs in the qpf department. It was insistent we'd see widespread 1"+ amounts Tuesday and many of us saw nothing

it has convective feedback problems (all models do to some extent btw). there are also lots of occasions where it develops widespread convective precip too early in the day and lowballs high temperatures

Archived