• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
NNE Thread: Heading into the Heart of Winter

powderfreak

Light snow/flurries here. No real accumulation just a coating on the cars. Looking through the overnight stuff, I find it a little bit comforting that the clown maps have been creeping upwards in their estimates of snow here. Hopefully we can get another 4 or 5 inches. Would really like to see something other than the powder that we have been getting. This stuff has no substance at all. Oh well, any snow is good snow, so I'll be happy with whatever we can scrape together. :snowman:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm about 2 miles NE of Stowe village and only picked up 0.5"!

Well get the game. I haven't been to Stowe village in over 8 years and I got more than 0.5 last night. Okay it was 0.6 and was so fluffy you could see through it but it was fluffing still as I left the house at 7:30.

I figured the clouds had rolled in since temp had actually rose up to 18F, but I wasn't expecting the snow to be falling. Let's hope for the advisories/warnings to move west to cover you as well :)

Meh, I was just joking around. One thing I've learned over the years is that the weather will do what the weather will do and there's no sense getting cranky about it. ;)

Looks like we'll get a few inches out of the deal and I'll be glad for it.

3.2" of pure fluff on my car this morning in Stowe Village on the Mtn Road... stars are out and yet its still snowing pretty steadily. Was not expecting that overnight...

Beautiful morning out there! Looking down from the mountain, you can see a narrow corridor of caked trees down in Stowe village and that must be the small 1-2 mile wide area that picked up a decent overnight accumulation. Its very odd but you can definitely tell where it snowed 3"+ (very small spatial area) overnight based on where the trees are caked looking down over the valley.

It looked beautiful at 5am this morning and I'm sure with the sun coming out it looks like a candy-land forest down there with snow stuck to every twig as the stuff that fell last night fell in a completely calm environment.

Here's the webcam view from Ten Acres Lodge near my apartment (Luce Hill/Burrows Road intersection) showing the overnight fluff on the trees.

Some friends went swimming yesterday apparently. Reported plenty of deepness all over Mansfield yesterday. Def. confirmed the snowfall totals posted by Stowe/etc.

Looking past this storm- another pretty substantial upslope signature appears between 20z and 2z 12-13. time/height for btv shows good low level lift, -10c at the ridgelines and saturation up to and above 700mb. Didn't appear so robust yesterday so I suspect we'll have to monitor closely.

This storm is going to give me a heart attack, LOL. I think I'm just a little too far north for the good stuff as that low just wants to scoot east at the last minute, but still I think a 4-8 deal around here. Hopefully I can still squeeze a few more northward bumps on the good QPF before game time.

looks like it will a fun one down there, enjoy all, hoping burke can get a good shot in the arm out of this one

skiing from 1500' to 3000' ft today was good, not as loud or lumpy as last week, everything was coated, world of white, bonus today was finally getting eyes on the moose I've been seeing sign of along the ski route. dead calm 5F, diamond dust in the air - perfect ski tour conditions. same type of snow distribution as the stowe area it seemed, dusting at my house, 5 miles west 3-4 inches for a couple miles and then back to dusting

:snowman: 18z NAM is showing even more improvement for us up here in North Central VT. Looks like a WSW might pop up by morning time.

Yeah not much hope up this way but hoping to pick up a few more inches to add to the snowpack... I think you guys in the Greens south of I89 (Winooski Valley) will do pretty well. It all depends on if the NW side gets some high ratio snowbands going which often happens in the latter stages of these types of storms. Obviously not as good as SNE but I think someone in VT and NH could end up with a good total of high ratio snow.

I'm hoping we get some decent upslope on the backside though, that's usually a safe bet for us up this way that regardless of what happens with the synoptic part of the storm, the mountain will pull something out of the sky.

I wish we could get some water weight in the snowpack up this way, but I'm glad some of the other areas are able to get some snow in this pattern... we've done quite well around here in the past week it appears, all from upslope influences though.

Maybe CAR is bored by being mostly out of the action -- hence this appearing in the long-term discussion:

A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO ORGANIZE IN THE SOUTHEASTERN US AND MOVE TOWARDS NEW ENGLAND. THIS STORM APPEARS POISED TO DRAW SIGNIFICANT GULF AND ATLANTIC MOISTURE NORTHWARD INTO A COLD DOME OF AIR IN CANADA IN NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND. THUS THE STAGE MAY FOR A GOOD SNOW STORM TOWARDS THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK.

http://www.weather.g...type=discussion

Hey you guys, I'm jealous. Im down in the DC area for the next week to 10 days to have open heart surgery and Im missing the whole thing. My surgery is at 7amtomoorow so will not even be able to follow the progress on the NET, will be in ICU for a couple of days and can't have my laptop or droid.

I kiddingly asked the surgeon to postpone the surgery for a day or two but he wasn't keen on the idea. Should be back up there in 10 days. Snowing nicely in DC right now looks like 1" so far. Just enough to screw up their commute.

Good luck up there hope the models keep trending to bring the good QPF further north!

Gene

Hey you guys, I'm jealous. Im down in the DC area for the next week to 10 days to have open heart surgery and Im missing the whole thing. My surgery is at 7amtomoorow so will not even be able to follow the progress on the NET, will be in ICU for a couple of days and can't have my laptop or droid.

I kiddingly asked the surgeon to postpone the surgery for a day or two but he wasn't keen on the idea. Should be back up there in 10 days. Snowing nicely in DC right now looks like 1" so far. Just enough to screw up their commute.

Good luck up there hope the models keep trending to bring the good QPF further north!

Gene

Good luck. :scooter:

Gene

Once again, I hope your surgery goes as routinely as possible, same as my wife's emergency bypass went 3+ yr ago. For better (probably) or worse, we had only an hr notice - no time to get worried. Day after the operation she was walking (with nurse assistance) and the day after that on her own. On day 2 she could've had access to the computer in the cardio ward waiting room, but I was usually on it, keeping the widespread family (SC, Japan, NJ) updated on how things were going.

Once again, I hope your surgery goes as routinely as possible, same as my wife's emergency bypass went 3+ yr ago. For better (probably) or worse, we had only an hr notice - no time to get worried. Day after the operation she was walking (with nurse assistance) and the day after that on her own. On day 2 she could've had access to the computer in the cardio ward waiting room, but I was usually on it, keeping the widespread family (SC, Japan, NJ) updated on how things were going.

The way I look at it is, once you are going under the knife you are good to go. That's how far along we are with these things, I was more worried about you pre-surgery! So all the best to you wxeyeNH!! Talk to you on the other side!!

Saw this in the big storm thread. I know these maps need to be taken with a grain (or maybe a shaker full) of salt, but they have definitely been trendin in the right direction for NNE. 8-12 now touches my corner of the world.

I love the harris weather clown maps. How do I get them? This should be part of the AmericanWX FAQ!

Gene

Good Luck and hopefully a speedy recovery....

Archived