Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3-24 to 3-26 possible winter storm?

Rankin5150

Thank you for the statistics, Larry.

I remember the 3/30/2003 storm.  It was around 80 degrees or something like that they day before and by morning snow started mixing in with the rain and it changed over to snow and snowed a good portion of the mid-morning.  I think it only got up to like 40 degrees or something that day.  Whatever fell never stuck to the roads or anything, but it was cool.  Just two days later and it would have been an April storm!

---

I get a feeling the CIP's guys are going in and changing the analogs around just to tease us.  First, 1/25/00 endlessly shows up and now 3/13/93. :lol:  I've seen 3/13/93 earlier this season a few times, too, though I think this is the first time it's shown up as the top analog.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!  It must have really been a "Southern Slider."

Your area did a little better, though.  Suicidal cutoff on the north side...  Good storm for Raleigh, Charlotte, and of course Atlanta, Greenville, etc.

accum.19830325.gif

-------

BTW, looks like RAH has added rain/snow to the zone forecasts.  I've now got rain/snow for Monday night and Tuesday.  You know, just your typical late March weather. :lol:

This HWO from MHX really blows me away since this is not like them at all to honk on something like this in this time frame given the climo etc......

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC
432 AM EDT THU MAR 20 2014

NCZ029-044>047-079>081-090>095-098-103-104-210845-
MARTIN-PITT-WASHINGTON-TYRRELL-MAINLAND DARE-GREENE-BEAUFORT-
MAINLAND HYDE-DUPLIN-LENOIR-JONES-CRAVEN-PAMLICO-CARTERET-ONSLOW-
OUTER BANKS DARE-OUTER BANKS HYDE-
432 AM EDT THU MAR 20 2014

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

A VERY COLD AIRMASS WILL INVADE EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA SUNDAY
NIGHT AND PERSIST THROUGH AT LEAST WEDNESDAY WITH HIGH
TEMPERATURES 15 TO 20 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL. DEVELOPING LOW
PRESSURE OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY WILL
SPREAD MOISTURE ACROSS THE REGION. WITH THE COLD AIR ALREADY IN
PLACE...A PERIOD OF MIXED OR ALL WINTRY PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED
ACROSS PORTIONS OF EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO
TUESDAY AND POSSIBLY AGAIN TUESDAY NIGHT. THIS THREAT WILL BE
GREATEST OVER THE INTERIOR COASTAL PLAIN COUNTIES WEST OF HIGHWAY 17.

EPS looks like crap for KCAE.  Not a fan.

KCAE:

HE TIMING ISSUE IS  IMPORTANT BECAUSE OF THE COLD SURFACE HIGH TO THE NORTH ADVECTING  IN COLDER TEMPERATURES IN THE LOW LEVELS MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY  WHICH COULD INTRODUCE SOME WINTRY PRECIPITATION TO THE NORTHERN  MIDLANDS. FOR NOW HAVE DECIDED TO CONTINUE WITH A FAIRLY  PERSISTENT FORECAST WITH HIGHER CHANCE POPS MONDAY NIGHT AND  TUESDAY AND KEEPING ALL PRECIPITATION TYPE LIQUID RAIN.

Nice storm on 12z gfs but a little concerned about timing and 2m temps.

No wiggle room with temps, for sure.  I do like how the heights are falling in the TN Valley out ahead of the storm to keep the temps aloft in check

Gfs looks weak still.

But we beg for storms that look like that here in the lowlands   :)   Wouldn't be surprised at all to see more precip building across TN and N Bama / GA with that look

Not a bad run.  Still a little further east for those of us in the western half of the state, but not bad, as is (and, frankly, if we want all-snow, it's a good track).  2m temperatures are iffy further east, verbatim.  Looks like the precip arrives in the middle of the day, which probably isn't ideal.  850s are plenty cold, though.  Surface temperatures are fine in GSO, for example, though (30-32).  RDU is more iffy (32-34).  CLT looks like 32-33.  I'd take it and run.

It kind of has that look where a lot of the snowed in areas get 2-4" of paste (assuming ratios suck) with limited, if any, road stickage.

Not a bad run.  Still a little further east for those of us in the western half of the state, but not bad, as is.  2m temperatures are iffy further east, verbatim.  Looks like the precip arrives in the late afternoon, which probably isn't ideal.  850s are plenty cold, though.  Surface temperatures are fine in GSO, for example, though.  RDU is more iffy (33-34).  I'd take it and run.

Slushy!! I agree, we need it to hug the coast just a bit more I think.  Honestly it looks like it intensifies too late in general.  Need it stronger in the gulf.  Temps need to be like the 6Z run for something other than slop. 

Cjaf6upl.png

Nice run of the goofus could be better but still time.

GFS says too warm at 0z last night. But 6z and 12z razor sharp for the VA border counties for Sundays event too. Euro says it aint happening. But I think the euro out on dinner break. Nam is crap beyond 48 but continues to come further south with Sundays event.

Next 24-36 hours is going to make or break Sundays event. Euro has been consistant and so has the Goofus. I think if setups the way I think it will... Sunday is going to be game day too for the northern half of NC. Rain to Wintry mix of sleet/snow/zr

Isn't there two rounds of moisture.. Over running Sunday night and a low pressure slip for tuesdaym

Correct.

Considering that it appears to be overunning don't think the models are handling it well. But the surface front should pass ahead of the moisture and CAA. The moisture and cold should arrive about the same time. So what is being modeled by goofus and euro is likely not too accurate atleast for the northern half and N/W half of NC.

The surface front and Lp is to the south and east why moisture builds in with the cold air. Also probably not being model correctly is the big sprawling HP with ridge axis expanding east of the Apps. Which in a sense cold air will be working its way in on a backdoor cold front.

post-7245-0-84447900-1395335709_thumb.pn

How many times has 1993 shown up in the analogs this year?  None of them have come close in reality.

True, but none of the previous ones were trying to phase 3 pieces of energy, this potential storm is trying, which is why it has a chance to be huge, small chance but just maybe.  

gfs_z500_vort_namer_18.png

Archived