Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 11-12th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nam looks to be around 0.60" of QPF. Right in line with the 0z Euro, lol.

4-6" good call?

It's less. The 1/2" line cuts through the city. Areas up where you're at are more like 0.4"

Funny thing is the Feb 5 event followed a similar narrative. NAM went big about 30 hours out only to come back to reality a run or two later. Then, in the end, the bigger run 30 hours out ended up being what actually occurred.

I got a 7-11" call that seems massively inflated right now. Might have to cut it back substantially but I'll wait to see what the other models say.

It's less. The 1/2" line cuts through the city. Areas up where you're at are more like 0.4"

Funny thing is the Feb 5 event followed a similar narrative. NAM went big about 30 hours out only to come back to reality a run or two later. Then, in the end, the bigger run 30 hours out ended up being what actually occurred.

I got a 7-11" call that seems massively inflated right now. Might have to cut it back substantially but I'll wait to see what the other models say.

Interesting point.

The set up with the Feb 5 system is also quite similar to this one, too.

Wow, quite the cutback. That's unheard of within a 24-36 period as far as I know. If you analyze just the precip charts above you can see how much it shifted SE in just one run. Its crazy! How is current OBS looking compared to what the models showed?

We saw a perfect deformation band set up just north of the 401 with that storm. Hopefully parameters are supportive again.

I have noticed that a lately with these systems too.

I like to look at the 500MB Vort maps. There are distinct changes that explain the various affects.  We just need to wait and see how these Vorts actually interact.

Interesting little blurb from DVN.

FXUS63 KDVN 111443
AFDDVN

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL
943 AM CDT TUE MAR 11 2014

.UPDATE...
ISSUED AT 940 AM CDT TUE MAR 11 2014

THE NEXT 30 HOURS WILL BE QUITE INTERESTING. INITIAL DATA IS
POINTING TO THIS SYSTEM DEVELOPING IN A NON-LINEAR FASHION WHICH
MEANS THE MODELS WILL BE PLAYING CATCH UP. THUS A CAREFUL
ANALYSIS/REVIEW WILL BE REQUIRED IN CREATING A FORECAST.

IN THE IMMEDIATE TERM...THE OVERALL FORECAST LOOKS ON TRACK WITH
RAIN HOLDING OFF UNTIL THIS AFTERNOON.

Last four runs of the SREF mean snowfall totals for IKK. Almost as reliable as the NAM. :lol:

3/10 15z: 3.5"

3/10 21z: 4.4"

3/11 3z: 8.3"

3/11 9z: 10.2"

I was about to post that.  The 9z lowest number is 6.81".  Nice cluster between that and 12.89".  No doubt it will change, but I hope not. At least it is moving in the right direction.  haha.

Interesting little blurb from DVN.

FXUS63 KDVN 111443

AFDDVN

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA IL

943 AM CDT TUE MAR 11 2014

.UPDATE...

ISSUED AT 940 AM CDT TUE MAR 11 2014

THE NEXT 30 HOURS WILL BE QUITE INTERESTING. INITIAL DATA IS

POINTING TO THIS SYSTEM DEVELOPING IN A NON-LINEAR FASHION WHICH

MEANS THE MODELS WILL BE PLAYING CATCH UP. THUS A CAREFUL

ANALYSIS/REVIEW WILL BE REQUIRED IN CREATING A FORECAST.

IN THE IMMEDIATE TERM...THE OVERALL FORECAST LOOKS ON TRACK WITH

RAIN HOLDING OFF UNTIL THIS AFTERNOON.

classic DVN busting out the non-linear last grasp weenie card

Archived