• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Severe Storm season

downeastnc

Not sure why there isn't another severe thunderstorm warning for that storm that just went through Peachtree City. That storm went from nothing on radar to a severe thunderstorm in 3 frames. I wonder if this is the start of the redevelopment of the MCV that the HRRR and RAP have been showing.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The winds were pretty disappointing. This may have technically fit the definition of a derecho, maybe not. Regardless for my area it was pretty tame. Just some gusty winds, lightning and some good ole rain.

Had a top gust here of 43mph. Not overly impressive but better than nothing.  Whether it technically fits the definition of a derecho or not, is pretty moot to me. It was neat  to know his complex started way back in western Kansas. To think a complex of storms that far away made it all the way here is pretty damn cool..  It's actually very rare for a derecho or cluster of storms  to start that far away and make it here just because the general flow doesn't support it. Usually they are well to the north.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0852.html

Looks like our long-lived MCS for today is about to leave OK. Looks to be tracking south of the one yesterday, will be interesting to see if it holds together that long.

HRRR has this. Apparently the MCS will be in GA by the end of the day.

http://models.weatherbell.com/news/hrrr_current_se.gif

WxSouth just said this on facebook.

A very active day today and again tomorrow. The upper low will be pulling north soon, so the Gulf inflow will continue, piling up rain totals in mid Tenn. down through Alabama today, along with strong thunderstorms, especially eastern Alabama, TN, Georgia where conditions are sunnier and more instability. By tomorrow, this slides a little more east, still with a strong tap to the Gulf in the Florida panhandle, through most of Georgia and the Carolinas, with again the areas getting severe storms where there is the most daytime sun.

Instability is becoming pretty impressive in Western Georgia right now,  Thermodynamic parameters are high enough that we should see some pretty good action in a couple of hours around here.  I anticipate seeing the Severe T-Storm watch extended to the east in the coming hours.

Instability is becoming pretty impressive in Western Georgia right now,  Thermodynamic parameters are high enough that we should see some pretty good action in a couple of hours around here.  I anticipate seeing the Severe T-Storm watch extended to the east in the coming hours.

Finally some action coming in during the day instead of in the middle of the night when I'm trying to sleep. :lol:

EDIT: New watch out.

ww0276_radar.gif

Absolutely insane out here. It doesn't have a warning either. Heavy rain with 55-80mph gusts is what I'm estimating.

In my experience I have found it very hard to estimate winds. I always find myself estimating on the high end. 55-80mph things like trees and branches and leaves start breaking and you will get lots of debris. Ive experienced sustained winds of 60mph and gusts to 80mph it's pretty intense and as I said before things start breaking.

I must say the drop from 88 to 70 degrees in a few minutes was a very pleasant event this afternoon. The weather this afternoon has left everything very humid and wet this evening.

I was in Chamblee and thought it was quite an impressive storm, the most impressive I've seen in quite a number of weeks. The clouds in advance of it were pretty intimidating looking! The cooling was quite a treat!

In my experience I have found it very hard to estimate winds. I always find myself estimating on the high end. 55-80mph things like trees and branches and leaves start breaking and you will get lots of debris. Ive experienced sustained winds of 60mph and gusts to 80mph it's pretty intense and as I said before things start breaking.

We had lots of trees and power lines down. It was the most intense storm I have ever seen. I was just so amazed at the storm. Best storm ever lol. Someone reported penny sized hail as well. I was just looking at the winds and didn't even notice the hail. It was also some flooding that went on because of the rainfall rates. NWS Jacksonville never issued a warning and issued the flood warning 2 hours late. GSP in SC is issuing Severe thunderstorm warnings every where for the storms currently. Still no cable and Internet here and thousands are still without power.

I was in Chamblee and thought it was quite an impressive storm, the most impressive I've seen in quite a number of weeks. The clouds in advance of it were pretty intimidating looking! The cooling was quite a treat!

It went from completely sunny to ominous clouds and very threatening skies in 5 minutes. I knew the storm would be significant when those outflow winds were as strong as they were.

Archived