• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Severe Storm season

downeastnc

We had lots of trees and power lines down. It was the most intense storm I have ever seen. I was just so amazed at the storm. Best storm ever lol. Someone reported penny sized hail as well. I was just looking at the winds and didn't even notice the hail. It was also some flooding that went on because of the rainfall rates. NWS Jacksonville never issued a warning and issued the flood warning 2 hours late. GSP in SC is issuing Severe thunderstorm warnings every where for the storms currently. Still no cable and Internet here and thousands are still without power.

Sounds like the damage is what you would expect with winds in that range of 60-80 mph, also its been my experience when you get a good downburst you usually get that swirling almost whited out effect from the mist being blown off everything as the winds pick up. So you might have averaged 50-60 mph. Again it can be deceiving though this video is a 60ish mph wind gust but it was never lower than 40 or so for the entire video just about, and a few miles down the road it hit 80-100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzxlLhmUtNs

that video was this event

http://www.weather.gov/mhx/Jul012012EventReview

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had lots of trees and power lines down. It was the most intense storm I have ever seen. I was just so amazed at the storm. Best storm ever lol. Someone reported penny sized hail as well. I was just looking at the winds and didn't even notice the hail. It was also some flooding that went on because of the rainfall rates. NWS Jacksonville never issued a warning and issued the flood warning 2 hours late. GSP in SC is issuing Severe thunderstorm warnings every where for the storms currently. Still no cable and Internet here and thousands are still without power.

Hold up. Waycross has power?

Glad you got a good storm.

Looks like more of NC could see action today and tomorrow.

Looks like you boys and galz in Carolina should be seeing some decent storms late this afternoon and tomorrow.  Good luck and may the lapse rates be ever in your favor.

Broward and Palm Beach County are going to get absolutely pummelled for the next 2-3 days.  Have a feeling were going to see some crazy rainfall totals by this weekend.  Some of the storms over the last few days have packed a punch. According to my wind meter, the storm I had on Sunday had a few 40-50 MPH gusts.  However, in my opinion, the main threat today and tomorrow will be significant street flooding. 

Bad News is the Heat lost to the Spurs last night

Good News is  that I'm a Knicks fan

Bad News: I'm a Knicks fan

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
CHATHAM COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...
NORTHERN LEE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 230 PM EDT

* AT 143 PM EDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM
CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS
OF 58 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 8 MILES NORTH OF SANFORD...AND
MOVING NORTH AT 10 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
SANFORD...PITTSBORO...CUMNOCK...FEARRINGTON...MONCURE... BYNUM...
AND LAKE JORDAN.

Sounds like the damage is what you would expect with winds in that range of 60-80 mph, also its been my experience when you get a good downburst you usually get that swirling almost whited out effect from the mist being blown off everything as the winds pick up. So you might have averaged 50-60 mph. Again it can be deceiving though this video is a 60ish mph wind gust but it was never lower than 40 or so for the entire video just about, and a few miles down the road it hit 80-100.

that video was this event

http://www.weather.gov/mhx/Jul012012EventReview

The winds looked like the winds in his next video somewhat. They were slightly stronger than the ones in the video above. It probably was a downburst that we had. Next time I will go outside and use my handheld anemometer and get an accurate measure whenever we see a storm like that in the next 20 years. :)

Yes Brick, Waycross has power and the power lines aren't made of bamboo and yarn. :lol:

:yikes::unsure:

ULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC  203 PM EDT WED JUN 11 2014    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEWPORT HAS ISSUED A    * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...    SOUTHEASTERN PITT COUNTY IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA    NORTHWESTERN CRAVEN COUNTY IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA    WEST CENTRAL BEAUFORT COUNTY IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA    * UNTIL 245 PM EDT    * AT 158 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A    SEVERE THUNDERSTORM 5 MILES EAST OF FORT BARNWELL...OR 13 MILES    NORTHWEST OF NEW BERN...MOVING NORTH AT 30 MPH. QUARTER SIZED HAIL    AND WINDS IN EXCESS OF 58 MPH LIKELY WITH THIS STORM.    * LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...    RIVERSIDE...    HONOLULU...    CALICO...WILMAR...    SHELMERDINE...    BELGRADE...BLACK JACK...    GRIMESLAND...SIMPSON...    PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...    DESTRUCTIVE WINDS 80 TO 100 MPH OR GREATER AND VERY LARGE HAIL ARE  LIKELY WITH THIS STORM...WINDS OF THIS MAGNITUDE CAN CAUSE DAMAGE  SIMILAR TO A TORNADO...THE STRONG WINDS OFTEN OCCUR WELL IN ADVANCE  OF THE STORM...SEEK SHELTER NOW IN A STURDY BUILDING...AVOID WINDOWS.  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
ALAMANCE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...
WESTERN ORANGE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 330 PM EDT

* AT 241 PM EDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM
CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS
OF 58 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 8 MILES SOUTHEAST OF GRAHAM...AND
MOVING NORTH AT 25 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
BURLINGTON...GRAHAM...HILLSBOROUGH...MEBANE...HAW RIVER...
SWEPSONVILLE...CARR...ALTAMAHAW...PLEASANT GROVE...SAXAPAHAW...
LAKE BURLINGTON AND EFLAND

mcd0955.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0955

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0125 PM CDT WED JUN 11 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...CAROLINAS TO SOUTHERN/CENTRAL VA

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY

VALID 111825Z - 112000Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...20 PERCENT

SUMMARY...ISOLATED BOUTS OF DAMAGING WINDS/SEVERE HAIL WILL BE

POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE CAROLINAS INTO

SOUTHERN/CENTRAL VA. A SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WATCH ISSUANCE IS

GENERALLY NOT EXPECTED ACROSS THE REGION...BUT PORTIONS OF VA ARE

BEING MONITORED FOR A POSSIBLE WATCH.

DISCUSSION...WIDELY SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS CONTINUE TO

DEVELOP/INTENSIFY ACROSS THE CAROLINAS/SOUTHERN VA EARLY

AFTERNOON...SEMI-FOCUSED ON VARIOUS BOUNDARIES INCLUDING COASTAL SEA

BREEZES IN ADDITION TO OTHER DEVELOPMENT ACROSS PIEDMONT/WESTERN

CAROLINAS. THESE STORMS GENERALLY COINCIDE WITH ONLY SUBTLE HEIGHT

FALLS AND WEAK BACKGROUND ASCENT...WITH RELATIVELY WEAK VERTICAL

SHEAR /25 KT OR LESS/ IN MOST AREAS /ALBEIT SLIGHTLY STRONGER INTO

VA/. AMPLE HEATING/STEEPENING LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES AND A GENERAL

PREVALENCE OF UPPER 60S/LOWER 70S F DEWPOINTS ARE YIELDING AS MUCH

AS 2000-2500 J/KG OF MLCAPE ESPECIALLY IN PIEDMONT/COASTAL AREAS.

MULTICELLS WILL BE COMMON GIVEN THE AMPLE BUOYANCY/MODEST SHEAR WITH

LOCALLY DAMAGING WINDS/PERIODIC BOUTS OF SEVERE HAIL THE PRIMARY

CONCERN.

CAE says I just might get to see some gusty winds and hail   :D  

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
MOISTURE HAS BEEN INCREASING THROUGH THE MORNING AND SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS HAVE DEVELOPED OVER THE WESTERN PART OF THE CWA AS
OF 17Z. EXPECT THIS TREND TO CONTINUE THROUGH THE AFTERNOON INTO
THE EARLY EVENING WITH SHOWER AND THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY
OVERSPREADING MOST OF THE CWA. CURRENTLY HAVE POPS IN THE 50 TO
60 PERCENT RANGE. MAY HAVE TO INCREASE THESE TO ACCOUNT FOR LINEAR
CONVECTION MOVING EAST ACROSS THE AREA.

SEVERE PARAMETERS HAVE BECOME MORE FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE WEATHER
THAN WAS ORIGINALLY FORECAST BY THE MODELS WITH SB LI/S IN THE -6
TO -7 RANGE AND THE CRAVEN/BROOKS SIG SEVERE PARAMETER IN THE
20000 TO 30000 RANGE JUST AHEAD OF THE DEVELOPING LINE. MAIN
THREAT WILL BE WINDS
. ALSO WITH PW VALUES GREATER THAN 1.8 IN AND
SOME TRAINING OCCURRING...LOCALIZED FLOODING IS POSSIBLE. HI-RES
MODELS HAVE CONVECTION DISSIPATING AFTER 00Z WITH ONLY SCT TO
WIDELY SCATTERED SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF
THE NIGHT.

Just had some serious wind and gusts just prior to the storms moving in. Was blowing the dead leaves off the Bradfords from the road clear past the house into the back yard on the fly. Had the limbs on the Tulip Poplar bent the wrong way. The ones facing right were pointed to the left! I'm going to guess easily 50-60 mph - a type of wind I haven't seen in quite a while. Heavy rain now- not white-out conditions, but maybe 1/2 mile visibility. Not hearing much in the way of thunder.

I thought sometimes if there is rain early, and then the sun comes out, it gets muggier and that can help create more instability.

If it's long enough in between, then the atmosphere can destabilize, but generally (not always) convection works over the atmosphere and it takes some time to recover.

Archived