Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014 Severe Storm season

downeastnc

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone seeing any hint of rotation in that Smithfield NC storm? There's a layer of low clouds moving from E to W while the storms are coming in from the SW. I'm not picking up anything on my old GR3.

There is a tad of broad rotation on that one. The best rotation currently is on the cell near Holly Springs/Apex and the cell near Sanford/Broadway. The one near Holly Springs looks pretty mean.  North of Broadway that cell is developing nicely too.  These look to move close to Raleigh metro.

Does NWS Raleigh issue a STW for every storm that pops up? The only storm that needs a warning is the one in Clayton. The other two don't look impressive. Solak is getting in on all the fun.

You worry about Waycross, Brick Fischel has Raleigh under control! Severe storms downed some trees and produced 1 inch hail, that was a severe storm!

That was impressive - not much wind, a lot of lightning, and 2.86" in 45 minutes! Glad I had the funnel out of the gauge, or it would have been vastly under measured, as intense as it was coming down. It was rolling off the roof so hard it backed up into one of the vent fan caps and was dripping down in the kitchen! Lynne said that had happened once before... she couldn't remember if it was Dennis or Floyd. First time for me though, in the 9 years (yesterday) we've been married.

I didn't go to the park tonight snd walk because I thought it was going to storm. It looked like it was ging to, and I heard the thunder, but then it didn't do anything. Not even any rain but a few sprinkles. I didn't want to be walking in the park and get caught in a storm. Sucks I wasted my time.

What?? How did you waste your time?

Meso Discussion for today.  Looks like Central NC could see a damaging wind threat.

mcd1366.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1366
   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
   1150 AM CDT MON JUL 14 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...SRN WV...WRN AND CNTRL VA...WRN AND CNTRL NC

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE

VALID 141650Z - 141815Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...40 PERCENT

SUMMARY...MARGINALLY SEVERE WIND GUSTS AND HAIL WILL BE POSSIBLE AS
   CELLS INCREASE IN COVERAGE EARLY THIS AFTERNOON ACROSS WRN VA AND
   WCNTRL NC. THERE IS UNCERTAINTY CONCERNING WHETHER THIS AREA WILL
   NEED A WATCH THIS AFTERNOON.

DISCUSSION...THE LATEST SFC ANALYSIS SHOWS A SFC TROUGH IN THE LEE
   OF THE APPALACHIANS EXTENDING FROM CNTRL VA SWWD ACROSS CNTRL NC.
   SFC DEWPOINTS ALONG THE SFC TROUGH ARE IN THE UPPER 60S AND LOWER
   70S F AND MLCAPE IS ESTIMATED IN THE 1500 TO 2000 J/KG RANGE
   ACCORDING TO THE RAP. THUNDERSTORMS HAVE ALREADY DEVELOPED ACROSS
   FAR ERN KY AND IN WRN VIRGINA. SHORT-TERM MODEL FORECASTS GRADUALLY
   EXPAND CONVECTIVE COVERAGE AND MOVE THIS ACTIVITY EWD ACROSS THE MCD
   AREA THIS AFTERNOON. ALTHOUGH DEEP LAYER SHEAR IS RELATIVELY
   WEAK...LESS THAN 20 KT ACROSS MUCH OF WRN VA AND WRN NC ACCORDING TO
   88D VWPS...LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES ARE STEEPENING WITH 0-3 KM LAPSE
   RATES ESTIMATED AROUND 8.0 C/KM. THIS COMBINED WITH UNIDIRECTIONAL
   WIND PROFILES SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT FOR A MARGINAL WIND DAMAGE
   THREAT. THE WIND DAMAGE THREAT SHOULD BE MAXIMIZED WITH SHORT
   MULTICELL LINE-SEGMENTS AND CELL MERGERS.

..BROYLES/HART.. 07/14/2014

Was coming to post about Mesoscale Analysis Brick, I can see why.  Good shear moving in from the west with the front will meet up with a moist southerly flow that has already built unstable cape values above 2000 j/kg this am across Central/Eastern NC.  The HRRR has these storms moving NE which seems to be the direction that gives us the best spin-ups in NC (or anywhere else) so today could be a bit interesting, but I am skeptical due to the time of year it is.  Nonetheless, it will be neat to see how high the cape gets this afternoon!

Was coming to post about Mesoscale Analysis Brick, I can see why.  Good shear moving in from the west with the front will meet up with a moist southerly flow that has already built unstable cape values above 2000 j/kg this am across Central/Eastern NC.  The HRRR has these storms moving NE which seems to be the direction that gives us the best spin-ups in NC (or anywhere else) so today could be a bit interesting, but I am skeptical due to the time of year it is.  Nonetheless, it will be neat to see how high the cape gets this afternoon!

We'll see. Seems like they have been hyping storms a lot this year only for them never to materialize, or to be very isolated in nature.

Was coming to post about Mesoscale Analysis Brick, I can see why. Good shear moving in from the west with the front will meet up with a moist southerly flow that has already built unstable cape values above 2000 j/kg this am across Central/Eastern NC. The HRRR has these storms moving NE which seems to be the direction that gives us the best spin-ups in NC (or anywhere else) so today could be a bit interesting, but I am skeptical due to the time of year it is. Nonetheless, it will be neat to see how high the cape gets this afternoon!

CAPE seems to diminish some after mixing starts. I wonder if today will be the typical case of cape dropping off a bit later today or if it will just build all day.

from the Avaition part of the AFD update..

AS OF 745 AM TUESDAY...

VFR CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED THIS MORNING AHEAD OF A COLD FRONT WHICH
WILL BE MOVING INTO THE NORTHWEST EARLY THIS AFTERNOON. CONVECTION
WILL BECOME WIDESPREAD AHEAD OF THE FRONT...WITH SCATTERED
THUNDERSTORM PEPPERING THE AREA DURING MAX HEATING INTO EVENING.
MVFR OR EVEN IFR CONDITIONS WILL BRIEFLY ACCOMPANY HEAVY SHOWERS AND
STORMS. THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE MOST LIKELY AND AT THEIR STRONGEST IN
THE 19-22Z TIME FRAME IN THE WEST (GSO/INT)...AND IN THE 22-02Z TIME
FRAME IN THE EAST (RDU/FAY/RWI).
PREVAILING WINDS WILL BE SOUTHWEST
AT 10 TO 12 KNOTS...WITH STRONG WIND GUSTS EXPECTED WITH
THUNDERSTORMS...A FEW OF WHICH COULD BECOME SEVERE AND PRODUCE GUSTS
UP TO 50 KNOTS.

CAPE seems to diminish some after mixing starts. I wonder if today will be the typical case of cape dropping off a bit later today or if it will just build all day.

Looks like it will continue to build with an area of 4000 j/kg near Greenville.  Wow I bet it feels soupy out in those areas!  EHI is also starting to gain a little steam.

Fancy words:

AS OF 1120 AM TUESDAY...FEW ADJUSTMENTS NEEDED FOR THE LATE MORNING UPDATE. SEEING A FEW SMALL SHOWERS DEVELOP AND SCOOT RAPIDLY NORTHEAST AT AROUND 30 MPH  ACROSS THE SOUTHERN COASTAL PLAIN LATE THIS MORNING. MEANWHILE...THE CAULDRON SIMMERS NICELY WITH UPPER 80S OVER MID 70S ACROSS THE SOUTHEASTERN CWFA. STILL WAITING ON THE NORTHWEST WHERE SURFACECONVERGENCE AT 15Z WAS MORE FOCUSED BUT IT WAS ALSO A LITTLE MORESTABLE IN THAT AREA...EXPECT RAPID EXPANSION IN COVERAGE JUST ABOUTEVERYWHERE OVER THE NEXT 2-3 HOURS...WITH ONGOING LIKELY POPS LOOKINGGOOD ACROSS THE AREA AFTER 18Z. A FEW MINOR TWEAKS WERE MADE TO TEMP/TDTRENDS OTHERWISE STEADY AS SHE GOES. 

Archived