Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014 Severe Storm season

downeastnc

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah those cells are beastly. Bath looks to be getting hammered in just a second. Lots of embeded rotation in the line.

I was at a river house between Bath and Belhaven all week last week and couldn't get a storm like these all week.....these things are awesome to watch on the big water down there. Pretty sure there is a stout wind gust on the leading edge with that storm.

I was at a river house between Bath and Belhaven all week last week and couldn't get a storm like these all week.....these things are awesome to watch on the big water down there. Pretty sure there is a stout wind gust on the leading edge with that storm.

Yeah I bet!  The cell South of Cove City is note worth as of the last scan.  Just popped an appendage way South.  Might not have enough shear present to get these going today, but if there were to be rotation develop it will head right for New Bern.  Interesting day to watch the radar.

As we came down highway 13 we had to go through the path of the delay storm/tornado. Tree damage was moderate with mostly just large branches and partially broken trees. Had to be one heck of a hail core because the hail fog was thick. We had to go down to one lane to get around that tractor tailer that was flipped over. 

Didn't seem like severe damage but when a tornado hits a RV and camper campground it doesn't take much.

WRAL saying the storms are still on the way.

There's not much on the radar right now, but we do expect that to change in the next couple of hours. We are tracking a cold front to our west that is moving closer to us that will trigger greater growth of showers and storms through the afternoon and evening commute. Watch out for localized flooding and gusty winds for the next few hours.

624 PM EDT Thu Jul 24 2014

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  central Wake County in central North Carolina...
  southwestern Franklin County in central North Carolina...
  southeastern Durham County in central North Carolina...

* until 715 PM EDT

* at 624 PM EDT...Doppler radar indicated a severe thunderstorm
  capable of producing quarter size hail and damaging winds in excess
  of 58 mph. This storm was located 8 miles west of Wake Forest...or
  8 miles north of Raleigh...and moving southeast at 30 mph.

* Locations impacted include...
  Raleigh...Wake Forest...Garner...Zebulon...rdu international...
  Knightdale...Wendell...Rolesville...William B Umstead State Park...
  Pilot...Falls lake state rec area...Falls Lake...Falls Lake boat
  ramp...Purnell and rollingview Marina.

552 PM EDT Thu Jul 24 2014

The National Weather Service has issued Severe Thunderstorm Watch
440 in effect until 11 PM EDT this evening for the following
areas

In North Carolina this watch includes 10 counties

In central North Carolina

Edgecombe             Franklin              Granville           
Halifax               Nash                  person              
Vance                 wake                  Warren              
Wilson               

This includes the cities of...Butner...Cary...Creedmoor...
Franklinton...Henderson...Louisburg...Nashville...Norlina...
Oxford...Raleigh...Red Oak...Roanoke Rapids...Rocky Mount...
Roxboro...Sharpsburg...Spring Hope...Warrenton and Wilson.

Props to the NWS.  Two warnings were issued here about two hours ago.  One just to my north and one just to my south. A county line runs through my yard. The warning boxes almost touched right over me but not quite.  When I zoomed in on my GR radar I was exactly between both. Well less than a mile between them.  Now I know this was almost certainly just a graphics limitation, but I called my wife over to show her that we weren't in the warning but most of our neighbors were.  We enjoyed a chuckle.....but then.

The solid line of storms that were approaching showed a tiny gap opening up as it approached my location. And then it was on us, 50+dbz just to the south, 50+dbz just to the north.  My storm total......0.03".  

Pretty damn cool.

Archived