Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014 Severe Storm season

downeastnc

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if this line holds and comes through, then it clears and the sun comes out it is going to feel even more humid and muggy. Question is will the storms early this morning take away instability for later today and tonight, or add to it?

It wont add or take away really if the sun comes back out, the atmosphere can only become as unstable as the setup allows. Add a bunch of sun and it will fire again the question is how much time do you get between rounds of storms if the gap is small then you wil lget mostly non severe but if we get 3-4 hrs of sun then this afternoon will be rough.

It wont add or take away really if the sun comes back out, the atmosphere can only become as unstable as the setup allows. Add a bunch of sun and it will fire again the question is how much time do you get between rounds of storms if the gap is small then you wil lget mostly non severe but if we get 3-4 hrs of sun then this afternoon will be rough.

Yes, that is what I am talking about. Sometimes if it storms earlier it just makes things soupier for later. If we get a lot of sun for a few hours and it gets up to the upper 90s with full sun, then it might bring round two later.

Yes, that is what I am talking about. Sometimes if it storms earlier it just makes things soupier for later. If we get a lot of sun for a few hours and it gets up to the upper 90s with full sun, then it might bring round two later.

I doubt we get upper 90's, it would have to cap off after this line to do that and that wont happen, maybe 88-92 is possible but upper 90's would shock me.

The shear is pushing south into NC pretty fast the last few updates on Meso have it moving 20-30 miles south every update so storms will be ongoing most of the day I suspect

I doubt we get upper 90's, it would have to cap off after this line to do that and that wont happen, maybe 88-92 is possible but upper 90's would shock me.

The shear is pushing south into NC pretty fast the last few updates on Meso have it moving 20-30 miles south every update so storms will be ongoing most of the day I suspect

Would these storms be confined to east of I-95 or could some of us in central NC see some more action too?

I was basing it on the forecast high today of 97. But I don't think these storms were in the forecast this morning, so that might change things.

The northern part of the line really kinda fizzed out the last 20 mins or so and the southern part is kinda lame as well. Parameters much better east of I95 though since there has been more sun and time to destabilize.....

SPC saw fit to do a MD on it

post-141-0-78182900-1406471138_thumb.gif

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...40 PERCENT

SUMMARY...A LINE OF TSTMS MOVING ACROSS CNTRL NC MAY POSE A RISK FOR
   A FEW STRONG WIND GUSTS THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON AS IT APPROACHES THE
   COAST. ALTHOUGH A WATCH IS NOT CURRENTLY ANTICIPATED...TRENDS WILL
   CONTINUE TO BE MONITORED FOR AN INCREASE IN WIND POTENTIAL.

DISCUSSION...A LINE OF TSTMS HAS FORMED THIS MORNING...ALONG THE
   LEADING EDGE OF ASCENT ACCOMPANYING A LONG-LIVED MCV MOVING OUT OF
   THE SRN APPALACHIANS. KRAX RADAR FROM 14Z SAMPLED APPROXIMATELY
   30-35 KT ON BASE VELOCITY W OF RALEIGH AT 1-2K FT...AND WITH
   CONVECTION LIKELY STILL SOMEWHAT ELEVATED...THE POTENTIAL FOR SVR
   WIND GUSTS APPEARS MINIMAL ATTM. STRONG HEATING IS OCCURRING
   DOWNSHEAR FROM THIS LINE AND WILL ERODE WEAK CINH PRESENT IN THE 12Z
   GSO/MHX SOUNDINGS...WHICH SHOULD RESULT IN THE CONVECTIVE LINE
   BECOMING ROOTED NEAR THE SFC OVER THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO. AS A
   RESULT...SOME INTENSIFICATION COULD OCCUR THROUGH LATE
   MORNING...WITH A CORRESPONDING INCREASE IN A STRONG WIND THREAT
   POSSIBLE AS THE LINE APPROACHES THE NC COASTAL PLAIN. HOWEVER...THE
   POTENTIAL FOR STRONGER/SVR WIND GUSTS THROUGH THE LATE MORNING AND
   EARLY AFTERNOON IS STILL UNCERTAIN...AND TRENDS WILL CONTINUE TO BE
   MONITORED.

Decent hook but not a tight couplet on BV and no debris on CC...funnel?

I am sure at the least its got a funnel but the RFD looks to be cutting it off its moving pretty darn quick.....last couple of scans where beyond nasty though...in fact its gotta be a TOG in that last scan debris for sure

2% tor risk was extended further southward into NC by SPC almost covering much of the state, wind and hail as well.

18z RAP supercell parameter is 10+ over central NC at 00z, previous runs were staying north or around 2, 4ish

NWS 3:40pm

IT IS PROBABLE THAT SCATTERED STORMS WILL DEVELOP INVOF THE OUTFLOW
BOUNDARY/EFFECTIVE FRONT FROM SOUTHWEST VA INTO THE NORTHERN NC
PIEDMONT...ON THE SOUTHERN FRINGE OF AN MCV MOVING ESE INTO WEST-
CENTRAL VA THIS AFTERNOON...AND AMIDST INCREASING LARGE SCALE LIFT
AHEAD OF THE UPPER LOW APPROACHING FROM THE UPPER MIDWEST. THE LAST
SEVERAL RUNS OF THE HRRR HAVE FINALLY PICKED UP ON THIS POTENTIAL.
WILL ADVERTISE A CHANCE OF STORMS MAINLY OVER THE NORTHERN HALF OF
THE FORECAST AREA (INVOF THE BOUNDARY) THROUGH THIS EVENING...WITH
AN ASSOCIATED CONDITIONAL PROBABILITY OF A MULTI-FACETED SVR RISK OF
DAMAGING WINDS...LARGE HAIL...AND EVEN AN ISOLATED TORNADO GIVEN THE
EXPECTED STRONG LOW LEVEL SHEAR CENTERED OVER THE NE PIEDMONT AROUND
00Z.

qCP0mqT.gif

Archived