• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014 Severe Storm season

downeastnc

Looks like it will continue to build will an area of 4000 j/kg near Greenville.  Wow I bet it feels soupy out in those areas!  EHI is also starting to gain a little steam.

Yeah, was just getting ready to post that.  Along and east of the Triangle, MLcape is 2500+, MU and SBcape is 3000+, and cape in the hail growth zone is over 500 j/kg.  LIs are -5 or lower, and low level lapse rates are around 7/7.5 c/km.  Definitely steamy and getting primed.  We've got some insolation pollution going on now, as clouds are filling in, so that should put a bit of a damper on the rate of increase in instability for a while.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, was just getting ready to post that.  Along and east of the Triangle, MLcape is 2500+, MU and SBcape is 3000+, and cape in the hail growth zone is over 500 j/kg.  LIs are -5 or lower, and low level lapse rates are around 7/7.5 c/km.  Definitely steamy and getting primed.  We've got some insolation pollution going on now, as clouds are filling in, so that should put a bit of a damper on the rate of increase in instability for a while.

Yeah clouds look like they are inhibiting just a bit.  Hopefully cape is close to 5000 j/kg in Brick's backyard because that man needs some rain.  I am rooting for ya Brick!

So you're saying we're going to have storms here today for sure?

He is saying conditions are very favorable.  No one can predict how anvil blowoff from the storm 20 miles to your South is going to react.  A lot of times if you are upwind it drifts over your area blocking off the sun and thus limiting the instability in your backyard.  Until the storms start to pop, it is very difficult to narrow down specific regions around town that will get rain.  The best we can do is look at Meso Analysis to see how much convective potential energy is available and how much direction and speed shear exist in the atmosphere. 

He is saying conditions are very favorable. No one can predict how anvil blowoff from the storm 20 miles to your South is going to react. A lot of times if you are upwind it drifts over your area blocking off the sun and thus limiting the instability in your backyard. Until the storms start to pop, it is very difficult to narrow down specific regions around town that will get rain. The best we can do is look at Meso Analysis to see how much convective potential energy is available and how much direction and speed shear exist in the atmosphere.

Brick is just depressed because he hasn't had any rain lately (that he doesn't want anyway) and because the polar vortex isn't going to bring fall temperatures (that he doesn't want anyway). There will be storms around but maybe not over his house, though the best instability in the area should be located there, where the hot air is maximized.

I'm not talking about others. If the clouds limit instability enough where there are fewer storms, and I don't get one, then the clouds limited instability enough to not get a storm.

But I guess some action somewhere around here is better than none.

If you cannot stop obsessing over your backyard, I'm going to give you a warning and start moving all your posts to banter.  

I'm not talking about others. If the clouds limit instability enough where there are fewer storms, and I don't get one, then the clouds limited instability enough to not get a storm.

But if there are severe storms in the area to follow, that would be better than nothing. It's not like snow so much, where if I don't get any at my house then I don't care.

That's not the best explaination for why a storm didn't occur at your location, if it didn't.  You can have uniform instability and scattered thunderstorms.  In fact, most of the time, you generally do.

Just frustrated to have storms in the forecast and watches and such and not getting anything.

But if there are severe storms in the area to follow, that would be better than nothing. It's not like snow so much, where if I don't get any at my house then I don't care.

You really want severe weather to pop up just to have something to follow? Sucks for whoever gets hit.

In any event, I guess in the Triangle we're not looking at the storms till later this evening with the front, or should we expect activity well before then?

SB and MUcape at 4000+ over the eastern piedmont, with MLcape 2500/3000+.  LIs -6 and LL Lapse rates at 8.  Cape in the hail zone is 500-600 j/kg.  Instability shouldn't be a concern in this area.  It's a bit less to the west.

Cells now firing in the western piedmont and the sun is out here in Raleigh again.

mcd1388.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1388
   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
   1223 PM CDT TUE JUL 15 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...NEW YORK CITY...NJ...DE...FAR SE PA...MD...ERN
   VA...NE NC

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 151723Z - 151900Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT

SUMMARY...A SEVERE THREAT IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP FROM NE NC
   EXTENDING NEWD ACROSS THE MID-ATLANTIC TO THE VICINITY OF NEW YORK
   CITY THIS AFTERNOON. WIND DAMAGE AND ISOLATED LARGE HAIL SHOULD BE
   THE PRIMARY THREATS. WW ISSUANCE APPEARS LIKELY ACROSS THE REGION
   WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR.

DISCUSSION...THE LATEST SFC ANALYSIS SHOWS A COLD FRONT IN THE SRN
   AND CNTRL APPALACHIAN MTNS WITH A PRE-FRONTAL TROUGH EXTENDING FROM
   SRN PA SWD INTO VA AND NRN NC. SFC DEWPOINTS ALONG THE TROUGH ARE IN
   THE UPPER 60S AND LOWER 70S F AND THIS HAS CONTRIBUTED TO THE
   DEVELOPMENT OF MODERATE INSTABILITY. RAP MESOANALYSIS DATA IS
   SUGGESTING THAT TWO POCKETS OF MODERATE INSTABILITY EXIST. THE FIRST
   IS LOCATED IN SRN NJ WITH THE SECOND OVER SERN VA AND NERN NC WHERE
   MLCAPE VALUES ARE ESTIMATED IN THE 2000 TO 3500 J/KG RANGE.
   CONCERNING THE SHEAR ENVIRONMENT...WSR-88D VWPS FROM WASHINGTON DC
   NNEWD ALONG THE COAST TO NEAR NEWARK NJ SHOW UNIDIRECTIONAL WIND
   PROFILES WITH 40 KT OF FLOW IN THE 3 TO 5 KM LAYER. THIS IS CREATING
   MODERATE DEEP LAYER SHEAR WHICH ALONG WITH THE INSTABILITY SHOULD BE
   FAVORABLE FOR ISOLATED SUPERCELLS AND ORGANIZED MULTICELLS. ANY
   SUPERCELL THAT CAN DEVELOP SHOULD HAVE POTENTIAL FOR WIND DAMAGE AND
   ISOLATED LARGE HAIL. SHORT BOWING LINE SEGMENTS WILL ALSO HAVE A
   WIND DAMAGE THREAT. THE WIND DAMAGE POTENTIAL COULD BECOME MORE
   SUBSTANTIAL IF CELLS CAN CONGEAL INTO A LARGER LINE SEGMENTS WITH A
   COLD POOL ORGANIZING.

..BROYLES/HART.. 07/15/2014

Severe Watch for VA/NC border Co.'s