joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Severe Storm season

downeastnc

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mod risk is for the run out of that derecho which has been pretty intense across Arkansas if it holds up it should be good for some decent wind as it moves in. Looking at parameters it might turn a bit more to the south as it gets closer to Georgia though Atlanta on the border of some fairly stable air.

The mod risk is for the run out of that derecho which has been pretty intense across Arkansas if it holds up it should be good for some decent wind as it moves in. Looking at parameters it might turn a bit more to the south as it gets closer to Georgia though Atlanta on the border of some fairly stable air.

I agree on the wind threat as a primary hazard. I do see some discrete cells forming now that look pretty wicked on their own.

I agree on the wind threat as a primary hazard. I do see some discrete cells forming now that look pretty wicked on their own.

If I had to guess the derecho will miss Atlanta to the SW but those cells firing in NE Alabama need to be watched they got the best chance of getting N GA but that threat should abate some once the sun goes down that derecho will kick ass till it hits the GOM lol.....

then again there is a lot of stuff firing out in front of that derecho, could be a new one is going to form or its just going to break down and get really messy really quickly.....

If I had to guess the derecho will miss Atlanta to the SW but those cells firing in NE Alabama need to be watched they got the best chance of getting N GA but that threat should abate some once the sun goes down that derecho will kick ass till it hits the GOM lol.....

Well we agree to disagree on the derecho. It looks to be headed directly for the Atlanta metro or at least the western metro.

cell heading towards me in Jville has strong rotation, hope I see some action, its heading right for me; the seabreeze was stalled near the vicinity earlier, maybe that will help some.

Yeah that Richland cell is a beast, a new line forming NW of me even has a small intense warned cell in it

Well we agree to disagree on the derecho. It looks to be headed directly for the Atlanta metro or at least the western metro.

Yeah it looks that way now cause it is, but I was looking mainly at these outputs  that seem to show the best support for the derecho is SW of ATL....so it may head east then head more SE as it gets closer to GA......

post-141-0-87488300-1402003047_thumb.gif

post-141-0-71763200-1402003063_thumb.gif

Wouldn't be surprised to see some wind damage reports out of North Onslow county especially near Richlands that storm was kicking ass for a few frames.

I just saw some crazy cloud motions, it was definitely rotating, it got fast for a few minutes and the lightning started going cloud to ground just by the lowering and then it started pouring, I took some video not sure if you can see the rotating but im 10 mins from richlands.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
626 PM EDT THU JUN 5 2014

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...
  BARTOW COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA
  EAST CENTRAL CHATTOOGA COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA
  FLOYD COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA
  SOUTHERN GORDON COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

* UNTIL 715 PM EDT

* AT 622 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
  LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZED
  HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS UP TO 60 MPH.  THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED
  ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 11 MILES NORTHWEST OF PLAINVILLE TO 6
  MILES NORTHWEST OF SHANNON TO 14 MILES WEST OF ROME...MOVING EAST
  AT 35 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
  ADAIRSVILLE...CALHOUN...KINGSTON...CASSVILLE...TAYLORSVILLE...WHITE
  AND EUHARLEE.

I don't think we have anything that meets even the most minimum definitions of a derecho.

The storms in GA do IMO, this event is part of a long lived MCS that had been generating bowing lines of  severe storms all day, granted they haven't been continuous but the storm reports clearly show the direction and strength this MCS has had over a extended period of time...

post-141-0-48949400-1402009893_thumb.gif

Yeah the list at the end of site I posted has some awesome reads on it

I remember this one cause it hit late at night

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/aug092000page.htm

Then there was this one

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/may82009page.htm#Memphis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9yDqnw-rEY

Yeah the list at the end of site I posted has some awesome reads on it

I remember this one cause it hit late at night

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/aug092000page.htm

Then there was this one

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/may82009page.htm#Memphis

That May 2009 Derecho was epic. Looked like an inland hurricane at one point. I think the June 2012 derecho surpasses the May 2009 though.

Looks like the MCV is falling apart. The entire stratiform rain shield associated with it disappeared. Wondering what kind of winds Marietta got. Jim Cantore said it may flare up again over Southern GA.

The winds were pretty disappointing. This may have technically fit the definition of a derecho, maybe not. Regardless for my area it was pretty tame. Just some gusty winds, lightning and some good ole rain.

same here - but not even all that much lightning or rain :( it looked great coming in on radar and out the window but results were pretty blah

Archived