joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7-8th Potential Coastal Storm Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's 12z GGEM has 2-3" of rain area wide.

P6_GZ_D5_PN_240_0000.gif

I guess the whole forecast comes down to whether the Euro is right and the high to the north forces a colder track

or the high backs off and allows the low to track further north like the CMC. 

2010 was the first truly epic winds since dec92 in long beach man that storm was intense. Highest gusts were stronger then irene.

I canceled my big trip north due to the snow fail. So I am holding out hope I can get a big one somewhere up there. March 2010 produced epic amounts over 50" way up in the eastern front of the Catskills. I'm talking the the ridge tops over 3000'. It largely missed Vermont though which is where I'm planning on heading

2010 was the first truly epic winds since dec92 in long beach man that storm was intense. Highest gusts were stronger then irene.

I canceled my big trip north due to the snow fail. So I am holding out hope I can get a big one somewhere up there. March 2010 produced epic amounts over 50" way up in the eastern front of the Catskills. I'm talking the the ridge tops over 3000'. It largely missed Vermont though which is where I'm planning on heading

The amount of trees that came down in March 2010 was staggering on the south shore of LI.

Just wanted to point out that the March 13-14, 2010 event produced 5-11" of very dense and elevation dependent snowfall in the Catskills with significant rainfall and flooding in lower elevation areas in the ALY CWA and LHV area of OKX that had seen the impressive snow amounts in the late February events. Some ski areas I believe saw possibly in excess of 70" of snow that last week of Feb 2010 (Belleayre might have been one of them).

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/aly/Past/2010/Mar_13-14_2010/Mar_13-14_2010.htm

Just wanted to point out that the March 13-14, 2010 event produced 5-11" of very dense and elevation dependent snowfall in the Catskills with significant rainfall and flooding in lower elevation areas in the ALY CWA and LHV area of OKX that had seen the impressive snow amounts in the late February events. Some ski areas I believe saw possibly in excess of 70" of snow that last week of Feb 2010 (Belleayre might have been one of them).

Yeah, plattekill and belleayre both claimed over 8 feet for that week! I skied hunter the following weekend and the snow cutoff from west to east was amazing.

March 2010 was amazing. Came out of nowhere or we weren't warned. Brooklyn lost powerOur park lost trees, boats were tossed into bridges. Pretty cool

I recall Upton had wind advisories the day before. But then upgraded to high wind warnings, when winds were already gusting into 40mph range, that morning. Strongest winds came during the early evening hours and I was out in it. JFK had a wind gust to 75mph that evening.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/pns/03132010.txt

5-11" that's all? I'm not talking at observation points I'm talking way higher up over 3k. At a certain elevation all the precip fell as snow.

The reason I'm so sure I happened to be driving home from killington right after the super mega melt down with 80s and from the thruway the very very tops of the ridges looked like they still had a mega glacier. This is after killington a mountain almost 1000' taller lost almost all it's natural base. And all of it below 3000'

Somewhere way way up on a ne facing slope 50" fell during that storm. Super uplift was also recorded on dec 92.

It's possible allot of it did fall prior but 5-11" seems impossible based on how much was left after the mega torch. I should have stopped and taken pics

Can we just agree that we won't open yet another date-specific thread until a legitimate threat actually appears? There are so many hodgepodge threads with no real direction and it'd be nice to keep general discussion in fewer places.

And not for nothing, but like I said last week, these day-8 threads have been killing our mojo!

The only value I get from a seven plus day model prog is to know what the larger scale pattern might be, a possible storm to track out of that pattern, and general teleconnections trends that may or may not support something interesting. Getting into details based on modelogy is foolish that far out because it will inevitably change. It's like trying to put a saddle on a wild horse for hours expecting it to just sit still in one particular position and be patient while you fumble around. Hanging your hat on details is most useful and least painful day 3 and closer.

The Euro ensembles were definitely not as enthused as they were last night, especially regarding the mean.

However, they become quite juiced beginning around day 8. Without getting too detailed specific, 5 individual members had in excess of 2" of QPF from hours 180-240 with very few members under one half inch. Something to at least watch as we move forward. 5 members had 12"+ of snow during that time period, and not necessarily the same members that were more juiced. (KLGA)

00z ECM kind of has a strange evolution tonight at Day 9 and 10 and that is the first thing that bothers me is that this threat is not moving UP or FORWARD in time.
At 210 hrs it has a low that is off the coast of Hatteras and this low looks to head east off the coast while another low is back over E KY

At 216 hrs A piece of the low off hatteras escapes east while another piece is left behind right along the coast while the other low hangs out over SW Ohio..
Heavy QPF across Central and Western PA 

222 Hrs the low that was left behind off the coast starts moving up the coast and deepens to 987 mbs.. East of DE
Hr 228 S of LI at 982 MBS 

Guest Pamela

atleast in Monmouth county you get what actually resembles severe storms. where I am I get mother natures horrible left overs. I am not lying saying I haven't seen a true severe storm in several years here at my house

I don't keep a rain gauge over here...and you probably make a fair statement about the fact that genuine severe weather not being that common in the area (i.e. large hail, damaging winds, & tornadoes)...but I can definitely say that there is a considerable amount of moderate thunderstorm & thundershower activity in the Port Jefferson area during the summertime...so much so that the only genuine drought around here in the last 20 years was during the Summer of 2005...broken by the astonishing rains of October 2005...locally over 20 inches worth.   Moreover, my sprinkler system went out in 2007 and I haven't been able to get it running since...but it hasn't mattered one bit because there has been so much summertime thunderstorm activity around here the last 6 years no irrigation has been needed. 

Archived