• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

Quick question, I have been here just reading as I like this forum better since it basically focuses on DC/Balto. I was just on the Accuweather forum til someone there put a link to here, anyway...... they (aacuweather forum) is saying that the CMC, GFS and the EURO have all gone north (way north they say for the CMC), now what I'm seeing here and what they are saying (maybe wishing) is totally different and they are saying they heard it on here. Are we Balto (mainly) still going to get the amount that was shown earlier today from the EURO ( I know no one knows exactly for sure, but I'm getting confused w/mixed reports. Which I love this forum and was only there to see the NY and NE ppl cry lol.

Thanks for any insight, sorry for the off topic, keep up the great work!

I'm not sure what they mean by the CMC, GFS, Euro going north (or "way north" for the CMC).  They haven't trended that way, their solutions as far as I can tell have been fairly consistent now for awhile.  The precip shield may have wavered some, but not nearly as dramatically as the past couple of NAM runs.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what they mean by the CMC, GFS, Euro going north (or "way north" for the CMC).  They haven't trended that way, their solutions as far as I can tell have been fairly consistent now for awhile.  The precip shield may have wavered some, but not nearly as dramatically as the past couple of NAM runs.

k thank you so much for answering my questions!

k thank you so much for answering my questions!

Not a problem!  Lord knows I ask my fair share as well.  I'm not totally sure of the validity of what I said, going by memory here (and at nearly 1:30AM!).  But perhaps others can chime in one way or another.  Just that it seems to me the major global guidance has been pretty solid for the past day or so worth of runs if I'm recalling correctly.

Thanks for that explanation on the NAM.  Brings to light why every other piece of 00Z guidance tonight has held serve.  Any detail on why you think it's getting the synoptic picture incorrect, in particular?  I can understand the differences you're describing and the impact it has on the resulting solution, but curious as to why its evolution would not be right.

I am assuming it's incorrect because of these differences with wave handling, driving the 850mb dry punch SE quicker than every other model. So, I don't know that it's wrong but I am tossing it for its differences. I'll also assume the GFS/ECMWF will better handle these sorts of things. If the NAM matched synoptically, and we had a convective element being modeled, then I would give it more credence. The picture is classic sloped frontogenesis but the undercutting cold/dry tightens gradient.

Not a problem!  Lord knows I ask my fair share as well.  I'm not totally sure of the validity of what I said, going by memory here (and at nearly 1:30AM!).  But perhaps others can chime in one way or another.  Just that it seems to me the major global guidance has been pretty solid for the past day or so worth of runs if I'm recalling correctly.

lol I just closed accuweather, they (NY ppl) arguing that all the pinks on EURO will be in PA tomorrow (talk abour wishcasting) and they are really bad mouthing American, I think I will stay here, lot less tension and more humor sometimes then they allow over there lol

Thanks again this forum has some very nice and knowledgeable people!

I will miss the storm but it's very important to me. I come back Wednesday morning so I want to see as much snow as possible in my yard. Plus I need my 8-12 to verify. I've stolen some snowstorms flying for work. One in Montreal. One in Chicago. Monday I lose big

I am assuming it's incorrect because of these differences with wave handling, driving the 850mb dry punch SE quicker than every other model. So, I don't know that it's wrong but I am tossing it for its differences. I'll also assume the GFS/ECMWF will better handle these sorts of things. If the NAM matched synoptically, and we had a convective element being modeled, then I would give it more credence. The picture is classic sloped frontogenesis but the undercutting cold/dry tightens gradient.

Ah, OK...thanks much for that explanation!  Makes things clearer.

Even with "only" 1.1 QPF the Mason Dixon area still will get a lashing with ratios.  Be curious to see how average ratios work out but I bet 15:1 for this whole region is doable, could be close to 20:1 by endgame.  Blowing and drifting fun.  For March this is a dream.

Euro has northern md at 26 degrees with -3 850's at 6z. By 12z surface temps are in low to mid teens with -10 850's. Can't rule out 20 to 1 ratios for the last .3 or so qpf. Total qpf. is 1.08. I would guess .75 of that is all snow. We can get a foot if we get a little lucky.

We are a rare breed lol. 98% of the population calls this a nightmare. To everyone here and myself. It's heaven on earth.

I love these storms and I am glad to see the whole subform is getting smashed.  I love the PA subforum also, but my climo is Baltimore County north.  Most of the PA forum is getting fringed which has been the case most of this season.  I am thrilled for DC, NOVA, and my office in Baltimore.  Game on.  March is roaring!

We are a rare breed lol. 98% of the population calls this a nightmare. To everyone here and myself. It's heaven on earth.

Even though this isn't the forum I should be in, this will be my only post here so I can say this. It's so boring at the Philadelphia region part of the forum because everybody went to bed because it's a bust for them. XD I think I'm one of two people on that forum who's getting like 10-14 inches ( NWS and other models )

FWIW, both 00z NMM and ARW bring 1+" QPF  in the run (48 hrs)... ARW is a lil bit more than the NMM and more expansive with a broad 1.0-1.25 QPF shield and the 1.25 to 1.50 QPF field... however, both have extremely sharp cut-offs at Mason-Dixon line

They can be found here -- http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller/model-guidance-model-area.php?group=Model%20Guidance&model=sref&area=namer&ps=area

NMM has 0c 850 line cross through DCA at ~2am... ARW has 0c 850 line cross through DCA around 2am or slightly before 3am

03z SREFs have 2mT 0c line cross through DCA around midnight... 06z (1am MON) map has it just south of DCA... crosses through IAD/BWI just after 03z (10pm SUN)

12z (7am) MON morning temps: DCA/IAD/BWI ~20 at while EZF ~23

0c 850 line crosses DCA ~3am... IAD/BWI just after 1am

FWIW, both 00z NMM and ARW bring 1+" QPF  in the run (48 hrs)... ARW is a lil bit more than the NMM and more expansive with a broad 1.0-1.25 QPF shield and the 1.25 to 1.50 QPF field... however, both have extremely sharp cut-offs at Mason-Dixon line

They can be found here -- http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller/model-guidance-model-area.php?group=Model%20Guidance&model=sref&area=namer&ps=area

NMM has 0c 850 line cross through DCA at ~2am... ARW has 0c 850 line cross through DCA around 2am or slightly before 3am

Thanks Yoda.  I'm not as familiar with the NMM and ARW.  So are these the operational runs while the NMM & ARW members are fed into the SREFs?  

Checking in from Waikiki--can anyone give a synopsis? 75 and pcloudy. Tell me what I'm missing here.

Why do you need a synopsis when you could just read the thread and get your answers sooner than waiting for someone to respond?

Archived