• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
3/6 - 3/7 Event is it this seasons last gasp?

WXinCanton

0z RGEM v/s 0z NAM at 48....

Edit:  The look of the RGEM looks pretty good for something wintery.  The RGEM at this range was warm with it's 2m temps for both the 2/11-12 event and for the event yesterday.  Once it got within 24 hours it was better with the temps, but still a little warm.  

How bad are the 850's? I don't care if the surface is below freezing. I want to see a snow bomb!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ice disaster or cold rain disaster?

Ice

Well. I'm going to give it till  12z tomorrow. If trends dont improve by then. Time to kill it.

Actually. If they were to be believed... gfs has folded to nam type solution with thermals.  Early nam showing precip moving in with surface and 925mb temps below 32. That extends roughly 85 corridor in NC and 85/40 corridor into NC,SC, GA.

But soundings show warming aloft, considering the time of day its coming into. Its rain pretty much for this system. A cold rain at that with mid 30s to 40.

But I have lost interest with this system unless somehow the HP in the NE can last longer but with the flow .....?

Well. I'm going to give it till  12z tomorrow. If trends dont improve by then. Time to kill it.

Actually. If they were to be believed... gfs has folded to nam type solution with thermals.  Early nam showing precip moving in with surface and 925mb temps below 32. That extends roughly 85 corridor in NC and 85/40 corridor into NC,SC, GA.

But soundings show warming aloft, considering the time of day its coming into. Its rain pretty much for this system. A cold rain at that with mid 30s to 40.

But I have lost interest with this system unless somehow the HP in the NE can last longer but with the flow .....?

I guess you are speaking mainly for your area?  Because here, the precip comes in around 3Z and is freezing rain until 12Z.  By that time nearly .50 has fallen.  This would be overnight Thursday into Friday so would be favored for freezing rain versus it coming in the afternoon.  Also, dewpoints in that time frame are around 29 degrees.

Edit: This is based on the 0Z NAM

Man, the GGEM really destroys central NC.  Tons and tons of precipitation.  Too bad it's rain with 850s in the 1-2C range and surface temperatures in the mid-30s. :(

Are you sure none of that is sleet? Is there wedging going on then?

Edit: Wow, NYC gets down to 10 F on Thursday morning on the 0Z GFS thanks to the much stronger high! Just a few runs back, they were progged to go down to only 30!! That is just a sample of the cold air that will fed into the CAD.

I guess you are speaking mainly for your area?  Because here, the precip comes in around 3Z and is freezing rain until 12Z.  By that time nearly .50 has fallen.  This would be overnight Thursday into Friday so would be favored for freezing rain versus it coming in the afternoon.  Also, dewpoints in that time frame are around 29 degrees.

Edit: This is based on the 0Z NAM

Yes and No. You may get some... but very limited.  With out a cold source its not going to happen. Technically the lower soundings support ZR maybe at first and here aswell. But zr is a self limiting process and appears to be with out a cold source thats ots. You can check soundings around your area...  Sure there about the same here 28-32 range. But there is a strong east wind with WAA to follow aloft in the 2-8k  foot range. Soundings continue to indicate temps 40-45 around here and into the triad aloft. There will not be much freezing rain with temps that warm aloft.

Yes and No. You may get some... but very limited. With out a cold source its not going to happen. Technically the lower soundings support ZR maybe at first and here aswell. But zr is a self limiting process and that appears with out a cold source thats ots. You can check soundings around your area... Sure there about the same here 28-32 range. But there is a strong east wind with WAA to follow aloft in the 2-8k foot range. Soundings continue to indicate temps 40-45 around here and into the triad aloft. There will not be much freezing rain with temps that warm aloft.

I suppose we can kindly disagree. If the temp is below 32 at the surface then the rain will freeze on contact regardless of temps aloft. That's independent of what happens at the surface. Now sure, there shouldn't be any accumulation on the roads but definitely on the elevated surfaces and trees, if this past run of NAM is correct.

I suppose we can kindly disagree. If the temp is below 32 at the surface then the rain will freeze on contact regardless of temps aloft. That's independent of what happens at the surface. Now sure, there shouldn't be any accumulation on the roads but definitely on the elevated surfaces and trees, if this past run of NAM is correct.

It's more complicated than that.  A 35º raindrop freezing will release more heat into the atmosphere than one that falls at 33º. At a 30 to 31º surface temperature the process is indeed self limiting, unless there is a constant resupply of cold air.  That cold air resupply is currently not expected to occur.

Are you sure none of that is sleet? Is there wedging going on then?

Edit: Wow, NYC gets down to 10 F on Thursday morning on the 0Z GFS thanks to the much stronger high! Just a few runs back, they were progged to go down to only 30!! That is just a sample of the cold air that will fed into the CAD.

Larry, any early thoughts on the doc?

If the euro busts as much as it is doing here tonight, could be a mess in north carolina..maybe even down into the upstate.  It has my location well above freezing tonight while currently I have freezing rain and 31.4. I don't think there is going to be anything here but a cold rain but  I would have to believe there would be freezing temps over north carolina at least where it has temps at or just barely above freezing (through friday morning) and plenty of precip. It has 1.00 to 1.5 inches overall but best bets are that about half of that is freezing rain as it probably warms up monday.

Verbatim, the Euro has a pretty bad ice storm for N NC prior to warming up a little above freezing.  It's too bad all that banding is not snow, though... Such a nice track.

The clown is being particularly generous tonight with the maximum 9.5" centered right over MBY. :lol:  I'm pretty sure none of it is snow, but I suppose some could be IP rather than ZR.

I guess if you take into account the Euro's warm bias, it could be worse.

If the euro busts as much as it is doing here tonight, could be a mess in north carolina..maybe even down into the upstate. It has my location well above freezing tonight while currently I have freezing rain and 31.4. I don't think there is going to be anything here but a cold rain but I would have to believe there would be freezing temps over north carolina at least where it has temps at or just barely above freezing (through friday morning) and plenty of precip. It has 1.00 to 1.5 inches overall but best bets are that about half of that is freezing rain as it probably warms up monday.

Lookout,

There is the potential of a 4-5 degree too warm bust as that 2/9 run did at ATL for 2/12 . We'll see. This is so close to the first major ZR for the CAD regions in March since 3/25/71!

Hazardous Weather OutlookHAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

412 PM EST TUE MAR 4 2014

NCZ007>011-021>027-038>041-073>076-083-052115-

PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-HALIFAX-FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-

ORANGE-DURHAM-FRANKLIN-NASH-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-CHATHAM-WAKE-STANLY-

MONTGOMERY-MOORE-LEE-ANSON-

412 PM EST TUE MAR 4 2014

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL DEVELOP IN THE GULF OF MEXICO EARLY IN

THE DAY THURSDAY...THEN TRACK NORTHEAST ALONG OR OFFSHORE THE

CAROLINA COAST LATE THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY. A PERIOD OF WINTER

WEATHER WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THIS SYSTEM...PRIMARILY IN THE TRIAD

AND NORTHWEST PIEDMONT.

ABOVE AVERAGE UNCERTAINTY PERSISTS WITH REGARD TO THIS SYSTEM.

RESIDENTS OF CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA ARE ENCOURAGED TO PAY CLOSE

ATTENTION TO THE FORECAST AS THE WEEK PROGRESSES.

Wow, the 6Z GFS verbatim is very close to ZR for KATL and KAHN with 33 now for the coldest Thursday night! Even MCN and ATS get down to 35 per that run. CAE gets to 34. RDU gets some IP tomorrow night per this run.

Greenville,SC gets down to 31.5 on the GFS at 1am Friday morning during the heaviest precip.  It is also very close to a snow sounding as all levels are below freezing except it’s 1.5C at 850mb.

I just don’t know what to think with this system.  It’s hard to believe we won’t get freezing rain with one of the strongest CAD set ups I have ever seen on Thursday.  It’s a shame that precip is not moving in earlier.

Archived