• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
3/6 - 3/7 Event is it this seasons last gasp?

WXinCanton

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its frustrating the lack of major (and some model runs ANY) qpf for here in the foothills and the mountains

I think you spoke a bit too soon. The 00z NAM gives WNC between .5 and .75 inches qpf.

Edit: Actually much more than that...it just keeps going.

Not sure if that might be some areas of heavy wet snow in the mountains?

EDIT: Eh, probably not.

Looks like another NAM run with ZR to RN here.  Pretty terrible run if you want snow.  The western half of NC is getting raked by the comma head... with rain.  It's so warm in the mid-levels...

Not sure if that might be some areas of heavy wet snow in the mountains?

EDIT: Eh, probably not.

Looks like another NAM run with ZR to RN here. Pretty terrible run if you want snow.

Verbatim yes but I think that's a great trend in the right direction. I think the cold/dynamics are not being modeled properly

I am beginning to think there will be ZERO snow, *maybe the mtns, but that is going to be tough*  I know ULL manufacture there cold, and models do bad at predicting that, but virtually nothing shows any wintry unless you want some front end ZR/IP over WNC.

I am beginning to think there will be ZERO snow, *maybe the mtns, but that is going to be tough*  I know ULL manufacture there cold, and models do bad at predicting that, but virtually nothing shows any wintry unless you want some front end ZR/IP over WNC.

SREF plumes show like 2% chance of ZR at one point in KCAE.

Definitely not looking like a Wintry deal for either batch of precipitation right now for us further South.

SREF plumes show like 2% chance of ZR at one point in KCAE.

Definitely not looking like a Wintry deal for either batch of precipitation right now for us further South.

I still think thermals will be colder, especially with a closed ULL like that, but man...we running out of time.

I still think thermals will be colder, especially with a closed ULL like that, but man...we running out of time.

Correct.  I was just speaking on that point about how volatile temps can and will be with ULL and High Pressure systems.  My yard busted about 8 degrees too warm in today's forecast.

KCAE office are using the top down method tools to determine precip type..but if those surface temps are too warm... like today... yeah a big surprise could happen.

Definitely thinking the upstate, nc, possible central & northern midlands of SC are seeing a higher chance at something going haywire the models may be wrong on... Macon is a great deal further South.. but still could be some fun and games come verification time.

As I said before.. those once in a decade "never saw it coming" storms can happen... and it's been about that long.  Add on top of that a deal with an ULL and CAD.. well.. yeah you know that the bust potential is high for temps and ptype both ways.. just as stormsfury said earlier.

How can the models suck this much?  All this taxpayer money into a broken system.

ULL looks great, but thermals are a TORCH

No disrespect intended... but you're a met.

There is 

A developing deep 500mb trough over the east 

It cuts off but still over all a board trough over the east.

850 cyclogenesis north/along the Gulf coast

Surface cyclogenesis in the northern GOM.

If you look at the maps below and the flow... if heights and in between are considered equal. How come the models aren't showing more cold then what is there. I realize you also need interactions between the stream to get cold and sometimes powerful storms. 

But I don't understand what the deal is with models not showing the proper amount of cold air with a setup like this.

nam_namer_072_500_vort_ht.gif

0z RGEM v/s 0z NAM at 48....

Edit:  The look of the RGEM looks pretty good for something wintery.  The RGEM at this range was warm with it's 2m temps for both the 2/11-12 event and for the event yesterday.  Once it got within 24 hours it was better with the temps, but still a little warm.  

GZ_D5_PN_048_0000.gif

GZ_D5_PN_048_0000.gif

Just throwing this out there... I've been taking a look at a lot of the experimental products... so they're pretty pointless to talk about/show off... plus I'm not sure I'm allowed to...  anyway...

Some of these forecasts/grids on the development branch are showing very very cold temps with ZR/Snow for a lot of us in SC & NC by 7am tomorrow morning... on experimental GFS/MOS/NAM etc.

In fact, the CAD is all the way down to the SC coast on some of this.

The point is... high bust potential either way for some of us..

Archived