amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 25th-26th snow threat disco and obs

attml

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sure wish someone from the NWS could explain to me how the average high/low at DCA for 2/25 is 50/33 per this link:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/climate/dca/Dcafeb.txt

and yesterday came in at 39/30 gets you a day that was -6 vs. -7....here at the Preliminary info

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=lwx

I mean, add 50+33=83, then add 39+30=69 and the difference is 14/2=7

Even if you add the high and low for each day, then divide by 2 you still get 7 as the difference between the two

I mean I understand it says "Preliminary", but are the numbers that hard to figure?

It is in the order of operations.  The observed are always rounded up.  At the end of the month they are just totaling the highs and lows to get the monthly average, so that is how the departure is calculated, not from summing the (questionable) dailies. 

2.5" today so almost 4" in 3 days and now cold again. The bitchin*, moaning, winter over crap reached an all time high this weekend just past. Bunch of newbie whiners now also. I think myself, zwyts and about a dozen others(and you know who you are and are not) realoy enjoy winter and can roll with the ups and downs of it. Really not sure what is wrong with the rest of you and why you would want to be in a mid atlantic winter weather section if the weather causes you such despondency.

Just beside myself with joy over all the snow on all the north slopes, north sides of everything! We got 4 inches yesterday and 2.5 inches today! Not bad for late Feb with March only a few days away!

31 inches snow on the season - I am waaaaaayyyyyyyyy over climo and today is the 40th day of snow cover this winter! Wow, what a winter!!

It is in the order of operations.  The observed are always rounded up.  At the end of the month they are just totaling the highs and lows to get the monthly average, so that is how the departure is calculated, not from summing the (questionable) dailies. 

well no wonder there's global warming if you always round up instead of alternating up and down

Pretty amazing how strong the sun is this time of year. I noticed places in total shade look exactly how they did after it snowed. Places where sun hits are totally devoid of snow. I noticed snow blowing from a shady area this afternoon. It was the only spot nearby with snow. Looked like spring on one side of the street and the dead of winter on the other. Two beautiful mornings in a row. Great little events.

Yesterday was amazing with the surprise 4 inches of snow then after I thought it was over, wave after wave of snow showers passed over Dale City, darkening the skies and swirling snow all over the place. For a moment I thought I was standing in weathafella's or Ginxy's town. Or at I-83 Blizzard's 1,003 foot elevation. Or in the hills west of Westminster MD

Wednesday February 26 2014

This morning we got another snow which amounted to 2.5 inches in Dale City.

The sun lasered much of the snowpack that was not in the shade, but there is a lot of snow in shaded places.

We have gotten 6.5 inches of snow in 2 days.

The Glendale Slope homes have north facing lawns. There was plenty of snow on them this afternoon, about 4 inches. Even more of the Glendale Valley sidewalk has snow on it, about an inch and a half.

The plowed snowpiles in Center Plaza have an inch of new snow on them.

Leninskaya Slope (which is the rise on the southeastern part of the intersection of Minnieville Rd and Dale Blvd in Dale City), is very very snow covered. In places there are 4-5 inches of powdery snow.

In back of the Rec Center, in the sheltered place I refer to as Delaney Valley, snowpack is widespread, with as much as 4 inches of powdery snow. There is lots and lots of snow there, all the way to the west slopes of Minnieville Rd.

We're in great shape with shaded snowpack. Overall areal snowpack is down to about 40 percent but shaded areas are doing very well, especially when you realize it is nearly March 1 ! Today is our 40th day of snow cover this winter, and I have measured 31 inches of snow this season. It's hard to believe. I am so far above climo in terms of total snowfall for this winter that it feels like I am standing in Westminster, Maryland.

Temps tonight will fall into the low 20s and teens.

Forecast highs for Thursday are near 40 but I think we might overshoot to 45-48 so that sun will laser out more of the remaining snowpack. Thursday night and Friday will be very kind to the remaining snow.

Pretty amazing how strong the sun is this time of year. I noticed places in total shade look exactly how they did after it snowed. Places where sun hits are totally devoid of snow. I noticed snow blowing from a shady area this afternoon. It was the only spot nearby with snow. Looked like spring on one side of the street and the dead of winter on the other. Two beautiful mornings in a row. Great little events.

"this time of year"

Those shaded spots have spent all winter getting colder than the sunny spots.

Some years ago, I was working at Dalgren VA in a light snowfall. Of course, the shaded spots were accumulating snow while the unshaded melted. One unshaded place, however, had accumulation in a rectangular shape. I later learned that an out-of-commision car had been parked there for months, and had only recently been moved. Thus, the cold ground, in spite of the sun radiation on that particular day.

Archived