joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 19 Minor Event. Obs Banter. Models.

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you have to consider terrain and urban environment but seems like its more of a experience deal right? For instance you know a 55 + DBZ cell sitting over the same area for even 10 minutes will cause FF. Is there a criteria? I feel like that's one of those warnings where it's ok to have a bit of a higher false alarm rate.

That's the thing, there is criteria but it's all based on local knowledge. Whereas we know that 50 dBZ to a certain height with a certain freezing level will produce 1" hail 8 times out of 10. There is no such rule for flash floods.

That's the thing, there is criteria but it's all based on local knowledge. Whereas we know that 50 dBZ to a certain height with a certain freezing level will produce 1" hail 8 times out of 10. There is no such rule for flash floods.

Yeah true. I can see why working them is such a pain. I feel like PWM hasnt had a FF in a while...at least I can't recall one.

awesome to see another poster so close!! 30.2 here had zr earlier

Just drove around my town in Suffield and somewhat entered into Agawam. Car was glazed when I came back after my 10 minute ride around and the car thermo read 32 the entire time. Looks like it is 31-32 around Suffield and Agawam and the freezing rain keeps on coming. 

The occluded front is now through here as we have a gusty WNW wind and snow showers. Some of these gusts are likely close to 30 MPH. Temperature actually rose from 32 to 34 as things mixed out and we went from freezing drizzle and fog to snow showers in the process. Things will probably clear a bit and drop into the mid 20s here later, which will make things very icy.

The occluded front is now through here as we have a gusty WNW wind and snow showers. Some of these gusts are likely close to 30 MPH. Temperature actually rose from 32 to 34 as things mixed out and we went from freezing drizzle and fog to snow showers in the process. Things will probably clear a bit and drop into the mid 20s here later, which will make things very icy.

Looking at radar I was wondering what was going on out there.  Maybe add a coating?  What was your total today?  Almost 4" in Greenfield.

I'll be calling the wife and texting MPM for NW MA wx updates the next few days.  lol

That was me yesterday, was absolutely insane. Those vehicles suck in the snow, rear wheel drive and no weight to them whatsoever. Was a period where vis was no more than a hundred feet

I am in Mumbai now, but talked to my partner a few minutes ago.  He said the neighbor measured 12.5 yesterday (of pure fluff that he would shovel and it would just slide back down the pile.  And then today as he was driving home from Concord he hit a whiteout in Boscawen and we got a very fast few inches, enough for the plow guy to do the driveway.

Archived