joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for this post! All those descriptives do get annoying after awhile. The first one that got me years ago was when folks said it was "pouring snow". Just say you have heavy snow, or sn+.

That being said, while we are still fairly light here, I like the snow growth. We have decent sized flakes falling, and not a super fine, or even pixie dust, type of snow. My temp is creeping up steadily though. Currently sitting at 26 degrees. It was 22 when I got up at 3:30AM. I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment, though, due to how the past few coastals have worked out for my immediate area. Time will tell, but I'm hoping for good things from this one, and I hope the good folks to my northwest also do well!

We've got some decent sized flakes just north of Lancaster. They appear to be approximately the size of a quarter. Quite a change from the barely visible dust that was falling at the onset.

Pretty much the same to report here in Lebanon County. Nice fluffy flakes coming down moderately. Better than the radar would suggest, typical for us being so far from the radar sites. I think we are in a good spot. Far enough NW to avoid the worst of the dry slot and mixing, but far enough SE to cash in on some heavy precip. I liked the look of the Euro...would be 14-17".

Folks, I'll help out PennMan and Jamie here. Please, since locations are turned off, it would be helpful to put your town in your obs post so we know what location you are actually in.

Here in Tamaqua, snow has picked up in intensity over the past half hour to almost moderate. Currently up to 1.3" accumulation.

Parents reporting 1.3" in S.Williamsport. Warm and nice in Daytona..out for a walk.

Interesting that Williamsport (if the measurement is correct) has the same amount as I do at the same time in the storm. This is where I really believe there is some sort of terrain issue, or other factor, with where I live that keeps precipitation amounts lower than surrounding areas.

Already seeing the back edge crossing the VA/NC border. What the current forecast evolution of this?

The precipitation field is already becoming aligned in a SW-NE axis. It will continue to pivot around. CTP mentioned in their latest AFD that south east of a line from roughly Hagerstown - York - Ft Indiantown Gap may dry slot or lull late morning till mid afternoon as the Deformation band becomes set out west

fwiw KLWX radar is operating under VCP 21 while state college radar VCP 12.... I dont fully understand what that means but I wonder if that is why LWX makes it look like higher DBZ coming down than up here but reports of similar rates

measured 3" at 7am and currently melting for liquid equiv

Archived