joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to stop looking at radar (already) this morning. It appeared that some of the heavier precipitation (15+dbz) was just about to enter Schuylkill County, it just collapsed back southward as if there was a dry intrusion of air at just the right time...wow!

Time sensitive image...

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/northeast_loop.php

Surprising for such low dbz's

The visibility? I'm kind of guessing with that since it's dark out yet, and from my house, the way the town is laid out, I can't see more than about a mile anyway. I was just outside and I can attest to the fact that it's quite light at the moment, having to block the streetlight to get a true idea of how much is falling.

The visibility? I'm kind of guessing with that since it's dark out yet, and from my house, the way the town is laid out, I can't see more than about a mile anyway. I was just outside and I can attest to the fact that it's quite light at the moment, having to block the streetlight to get a true idea of how much is falling.

I was going on vis as reported in nws obs which is what is standard. There's a few guides online, I learned how to do vis at night via my Skywarn training using Google satellite maps. Fortunately I have a cell tower exactly a mile away.

Radar has improved for us unv people. We're about where I thought we'd be overall.

I was going on vis as reported in nws obs which is what is standard. There's a few guides online, I learned how to do vis at night via my Skywarn training using Google satellite maps. Fortunately I have a cell tower exactly a mile away.

Radar has improved for us unv people. We're about where I thought we'd be overall.

Yeah, the precip shield looks good. Just have to get those rates from the south up here. Looks like they are slowly creeping northward.

I just finished reading the overnight posts and I must say, it's been difficult to follow the discussion to say the least.

I understand that there is a ton of excitement, but could we keep posts such as "OMG crushing here" and "dumping atm," as well as reactionary posts to a minimum? These type of posts do not add to the discussion one bit. If one desires to make an obs post, use your best guess for vis, rates and/or accumulation. "Crushing" and "dumping" are subjective in nature and do not provide data that is understood similarly by everyone.  Likewise, if a map gets posted that shows your area getting slammed, there's no need to post your emotional reaction to it.

With all that said, sitting at about 3" a mile north of Lancaster.

I just finished reading the overnight posts and I must say, it's been difficult to follow the discussion to say the least.

I understand that there is a ton of excitement, but could we keep posts such as "OMG crushing here" and "dumping atm," as well as reactionary posts to a minimum? These type of posts do not add to the discussion one bit. If one desires to make an obs post, use your best guess for vis, rates and/or accumulation. "Crushing" and "dumping" are subjective in nature and do not provide data that is understood similarly by everyone.  Likewise, if a map gets posted that shows your area getting slammed, there's no need to post your emotional reaction to it.

With all that said, sitting at about 3" a mile north of Lancaster.

Thank you for this post! All those descriptives do get annoying after awhile. The first one that got me years ago was when folks said it was "pouring snow". Just say you have heavy snow, or sn+.

That being said, while we are still fairly light here, I like the snow growth. We have decent sized flakes falling, and not a super fine, or even pixie dust, type of snow. My temp is creeping up steadily though. Currently sitting at 26 degrees. It was 22 when I got up at 3:30AM. I'm cautiously optimistic at the moment, though, due to how the past few coastals have worked out for my immediate area. Time will tell, but I'm hoping for good things from this one, and I hope the good folks to my northwest also do well!

Archived