Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Feb. 2014 Part V

JamieOber

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10:00AM Observation, Tamaqua, PA

Heavy snow falling at close to 2 inch per hour rates. Temp is up to 33 degrees which is a bit unnerving. I didn't expect it to get QUITE that warm here. Right now the flakes are easily the size of dimes so I hope sleet isn't in our future. Anyway, I had to take my brother in law to work since I have a lifted Jeep, so I took the camera with me. Here is a teaser shot from when it was snowing the heaviest. Pic was taken on Broad Street (US209) looking east.

Temp: 33 degrees

Conditions: Heavy snow

Accumulation: 4.75" inches

post-317-0-92398700-1392304480_thumb.jpg

Here in Hanover temp is now at 30 degrees, 13 1/2 inches on the ground and with 2" rates at this time. Snow has become very icy and think we will probably start seeing sleet shortly. To lazy to check upper air levels to see where the warm layer is and how long I might have to deal with it.

And as I finish writing this we now have a sleet and snow mix. :(

interesting how the nature of the storm slowly advancing north this morning is the difference of several inches in just 30 miles...

11" in Gettysburg where it started first

9" in Carlisle where the band moved into a little before harrisburg

8" in harrisburg

7" just north of enola

- had 3" when I measured at 7am

- 4" at 8 for 1" in hour

- 5.75" at 9 when that death band was overhead for 1.75" in hour

-7" at 10 for 1.25" in hour

I'm in between the band north of Harrisburg & the band around York here in Camp Hill. Radar doesn't show much buts it's still snowing mod - heavy. What causing the radar to not show this? I looked at both CTP & LWX, both show the same hole

I think the radar is having trouble seeing through each of those two heavy bands so it is not getting a full return when beam trying to get back through those bands

Oh, I think we'll be getting accumulating snows through at least 8PM. So that's good. :)

Boy, if that band DOES make it here, it'll probably stall right over us. Wouldn't THAT be something?

I think I'd die and go to heaven lol. But with the way the higher DBZs are creeping in regardless, we'll do all right.

Yeah, it definitely looks nice out there. :)

I'd just like to see 1"/hr rates at least once this winter. Haha.

The storm last Tuesday probably had the heaviest stuff I've seen here this winter for a short while. 3/4mi vis or so here and about 2" on the ground, gonna be a nice day of snow watching even if we just miss out on the real heavy stuff.

Light sleet (some snow).

Waiting for pivot to come on through later.

About 13" on ground (good phase 1)

Lancaster, PA

If you can keep the mix down to a minimum I think you might end up being in a great spot with some great rates just north and west of where I think the dry slot will probably set up. Of course if you do get the heavier rates you have a good possibility that they will overcome the warm nose above you anyway.

I think we will make the 25dbz stuff on radar. The 30dbz might fall just a bit short.

I'm actually starting to think we might get solidly into the band. I might have to completely reverse what I said earlier. Even the part of the band between Breezewood and Bedford is showing plenty of motion, still (it briefly seemed to stall earlier). The only stall I'm seeing is still over Cumberland, MD. Maybe I should be more worried about the band PASSING us over. Haha.

Awesome shot of a warm nose working it's way over LNS which caused us to go to IP/ZR

attachicon.gifgrearth 2014-02-13 10-29-24-53.png

Euro really nailed that finger of warm intrusion into the cold sector. Euro has been a beast on forecasting this storm so far. Lets hope that it performs just as well with the deform and the back end snow.

Archived