CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 12-13 Storm IV, Model Discussion

stormtracker

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A tired Matt got me interested in the Wes deathband.   I used twister to get a NAM sounding over my house tomorrow night at 10PM.  Here's the sounding I found. 

post-70-0-56595200-1392259426_thumb.png

Look between 700 and 500 mb and follow the sounding and compare it to the curved moist adiabat, it's unstable.  I don't know whether that means we get thundersnow but do think explains why the NAM is pretty bullish with the QPF in the band. 

i dunno...Im honestly too exhausted to keep analyzing models...   :)

not directed at you at all but 

everyone believes whatever they want to believe anyway...if it is sleeting at 5am, 100 people will be posting that no model showed it, and how could this be happening...when it comes to weenieism you can scream at people for an hour that it will rain and they simply wont accept that it was ever said...I am too tired to keep answering questions that have been overanalyzed and answered and discussed ad nauseum for the last 48 hours....if people don't understand at this point the general outline of how this storm might evolve, they are simply unteachable  

I totally agree. Most of the Raleigh area is probably going to reach 6" or more through a combo of snow, sleet, and maybe snow at the end. Charlotte is busting on the snow part so far but may reach the forecast range through heavy sleet and snow at the end. It does read like people are treating this as a 'snowstorm' for the metro areas. A better description is a 'winter storm.' We'll get to our ranges somehow, but it'll include sleet for many of us. 

Looking at the nest 12k NAM, it has parts of AA and Calvert counties getting 6"+ during a 3-hr period ending tomorrow at 10pm. Doesn't seem realistic, but ya never know with these bands.

Of course, it also has places with >4" liquid by then too, so.....

And snowfall well over 20"

I see three bits of evidence on the surface analysis that are encouraging for this storm to remain cold at the surface.

1.  The shoreline reporting stations in North Carolina have 2 meter temperatures in the thirties.

2.  The system dropping down in to the upper Mid-west seems stalled or occluded and therefore may

not assist our big storm in wrapping warm air around to the back side of the low.

3.   A persistent small high pressure system over the Great Lakes.

I posted a sounding that sort of explains why the rates are so heavy.  The sounding shows instability. 

Lol Wes, I thought it was valid for right now (03Z), not 03Z Fri.  Anyway, I am becoming more and more curious about that deformation potential.  I would lock 2-4" right now if I could.  That will make something to look forward to once we mix/turn over to sleet or dry slot for a while (freezing drizzle).

Lol Wes, I thought it was valid for right now (03Z), not 03Z Fri.  Anyway, I am becoming more and more curious about that deformation potential.  I would lock 2-4" right now if I could.  That will make something to look forward to once we mix/turn over to sleet or dry slot for a while (freezing drizzle).

I should have specified.  The band tomorrow night is interesting as three models have it. the GFS didn't

Archived