• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

North of kville NC looks like it is wrapping up now after a couple hours of banding. Had 4.5" from 13:30-17:30 yesterday. Measured board today at 12noon and had an additional 4.5" including 3/16" ice. Total measured to now is about 11" not including amount lost due to compaction last night due to heavy sleet and occasional freezing rain, though no icing was observed on trees.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow stopped about 45 min ago there's a band over us now but it's 30 and mixed zr and snow not what I was looking for. Just measured in 4 different spots got 22" in the nw part of roanoke county va

Wow!  NICE!!!

Still light to moderate snow here as the band pulls out.  I'm pleased now.  I'm not sure how much we got (maybe 8", but it's so hard to measure).  I'll probably defer to what KGSO reports.  If we got 8", this is the biggest storm since January 2002.

How much did you get from this morning's system, Big Frosty?

Congrats! I knew you were in the right spot last night!!! But I was too! biggest ever for me..

Heck yea man!! I measured this morning and had 14" I was excited looking at the rap and what not that ull looked nice but I definitely was not expecting to pick up 8" at all. There are accidents all over on 81 13 mile backup southbound 7 mile backup northbound people don't adhere to the warnings haven't even plowed my roads yet.

Edit: depending on what the airport got which I think that's where they officially measure for nws purposes this may have been the 2nd biggest snowstorm in ROA history behind the 25" 96 blizzard

We 'only' got 4.8" from the storm, and just a little zr. Biggest surprise for me was how wet it was. I melted down the core that collected in the CoCoRaHS rain gauge this morning, and had 1.2" liquid!!! That was a heck of a lot of potential snow and freezing rain, that was all snow and a heck of a lot of drizzle and light rain overnight. Had one burst of sleet around noon today, and just a few flurries this afternoon.

Clayton, NC

Torch to end all torches here. Water pouring off roofs. Local weather stations pushing 50 degrees. Weirdly, roads still have a fair bit of slush on them, likely from the sleet. SCDOT appears to not do anything when it snows.

Same here. I can't believe it got so warm today considering all the snow on the ground. Amazing that it was snowing here as late as 9:45 this morning but we still managed to get a high of 48. I thought low 40s (as well as FFC) because of all the snow but I guess downslope flow gave us a mini chinook wind. It sucks to see our beautiful snow cover get destroyed so fast.

It's melting so fast in fact, there's a creek in the driveway. It looks neat though seeing huge portions of snow become water logged and water flowing through and on top of the snow. Should make for quite a sheet of ice by morning.

Ravenel Bridge still closed down because of the ice falling off cables. Still a major power situation. Over 20,000 customers out with Berkeley Electric in Berkeley County, with some towns completely dark. Another 1,500 with SCE&G. Still over 15,000 out in Dorchester County, over 2,000 in Charleston County.

Probably will take days for all of the power to come back.

We'll I'm like James there's definitely 8 in spots but it became impossible to measure. We have been out the entire day sledding. Just finished cleaning off my folks driveway and the sun is setting over the beautiful late winter landscape. Shot of some rain to flakes tomorrow night. If we get flakes it would be the 5th day in a row. The worst part about a snowstorm is it has/ will melt. These mid February / March snows are usually big boys, but they have zero staying power. Congrats big frosty on the 19. Several in laws tell me they hand close to 20 up that way. Not sure if we will get to chase another one this year, if not I definitely cant complain about this winter. Been cold for long duration and got a tick above the seasonal average.

We'll I'm like James there's definitely 8 in spots but it became impossible to measure. We have been out the entire day sledding. Just finished cleaning off my folks driveway and the sun is setting over the beautiful late winter landscape. Shot of some rain to flakes tomorrow night. If we get flakes it would be the 5th day in a row. The worst part about a snowstorm is it has/ will melt. These mid February / March snows are usually big boys, but they have zero staying power. Congrats big frosty on the 19. Several in laws tell me they hand close to 20 up that way. Not sure if we will get to chase another one this year, if not I definitely cant complain about this winter. Been cold for long duration and got a tick above the seasonal average.

watching a video a little while ago Bernie Rayno says rain changing to snow tomorrow night maybe trace to 1-2 inches Winston, G-boro? 

NWS says maybe 1-2 here? IDK we'll see! Spring comes next week, then deep trough following week in the east...

I ended up with 18-19" here about 20mi west of Martinsville (about 45min from Big Frosty).

Last EURO run before the event ended had me at 20.1" of snow.

It snowed heavily from 1:00pm-10:00pm yesterday before changing to sleet after 9" of accumulation. Sleeted all night, mixing with snow after 3:00am or so.

Then all snow arrived again from the ULL and absolutely destroyed us from 9:00am-4:00pm with the heaviest rates/biggest flakes/highest winds of the event.

Ended with 18-20" depending on where you measure, and we have some 4-foot drifts.

Overall, I thought the sleet would be a killer for this storm, but with the intense ULL snows today, it more than made up for it.

Robert nailed it here with his 10-15" with locally higher totals.

DT also verified with his gutsy 16-20" call.

EURO verified with its 13-20" run-to-run totals.

This was definitely the best, most intense winter storm I vividly remember for my area (I'm 25, so I was only 4 in March '93) Can't say that I'm ready for spring just yet, but I'm very happy with this winter. Only two events, but topped the 20" mark either way. :)

We had .5" on Tuesday with a little rain and 2" of snow. The total from yesterday and this morning was 1.2" of qpf. That resulted in 1" of sleet, .15" of zr, and 3" of snow. There was probably a little rain at the onset. So the euros qpf totals were pretty accurate we just had so much mixing that we didn't end up with a lot of anything.

Archived