joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+SN, loving it.  The snow shield that is the river 75 yards from my house has finally broken down and allowed the heavier stuff to come in from Mt Holly.  No clue on what I've seen so far this morning, over an inch and a half for sure.  Based on what I see on top of some wood stakes I have in the ground, I'm around 2 inches.  2-3 more hours of what I have going on outside now and I might squeak out another 3".

We had about 2.5" of snow last night.  Sun's out, it's warming up fast, and melting even faster here.  There's so much snow and ice melt off the trees that it looks like a light rain in the woods.  At every breeze there's a cascade of water and a few more pine branches *sproing* back into their normal shape as the load melts.

Power was out for a bit over an hour this morning.  Every now and then there's a little brownout but overall, we've been really lucky (and the crews are working their butts off).

Yeah but it's filling in right behind it.. this is going to last a while given the ULL is moving right over us.

As someone currently getting the bands that will rotate your way, this is the heaviest I've seen it snow i think all morning.. mainly cause I missed the first heavy bands to my SE a bit. So this is heading your way I imagine! 

Edit: Forgot about locations off, Im in Alexander County.. 1 county north of Catawba ... I have dark returns currently on me now.

As someone currently getting the bands that will rotate your way, this is the heaviest I've seen it snow i think all morning.. mainly cause I missed the first heavy bands to my SE a bit. So this is heading your way I imagine! 

Edit: Forgot about locations off, Im in Alexander County.. 1 county north of Catawba ... I have dark returns currently on me now.

Yeah that looks to be coming this way looking at the TCLT radar.

How'd the folks in Pickens and Oconee Co, SC do with the snow last night?  The Clemson webcams showed some snow this morning, but it seems like this was a big bust for you guys.  

There's something about the location of those areas relative to the mountains that causes them to miss out on the big snows so often.  It weird: that never seemed to happen there when I was growing up in the 80s but you can almost count on it with every storm now.

Yeah, I think the higher mtns on both the north and west put us in sort of a downslopping corner, so whichever direction the precip comes from we are dryslotted. It has to come from just the right angle like with jan 88. Really the best places for snow in upstate since mid nineties have been greenwood to simpsonville to Gaffney. The whole NW of 85 used to be true but now you have be south of it, east of GSP , but north of Aiken, to Newberry.

Archived