Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 12-13 Storm: Title TBD

stormtracker

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the NAM post 48 hours.  It's not going to be exactly right...may be totally off.  But it is a good track for DC, regardless of what it shows for aerial precip coverage.  No point in sweating that on the NAM.

Yea, the track, timing,  and closing off @ h5 can't be nailed down yet by the best model that hasn't even been invented yet. Verbatim it's a bomb right next to us. Thundersnow for sure if the evolution goes like that. 

I don't buy that cutoff to the WNW... what would be causing it to be so compressed?  That SLP over NE Minn can't be doing that much dmg... 

The cutoff is there because of the kicker in the midwest. It may be a bit extreme on the NAM, but it is legitimate and it's something that has to be watched. Earthlight mentioned it in the NYC forum

The NAM is picking up on the kicker pressing in on the pattern over the Great Lakes and nudging into the Northeast at 72 hours. Mid level winds are pressing on the system and so the area of enhanced lift and dynamics is really pinched on the Northwest side of the precipitation shield.

The cutoff is there because of the kicker in the midwest. It may be a bit extreme on the NAM, but it is legitimate and it's something that has to be watched. Earthlight mentioned it in the NYC forum

It's called a deformation zone and they are known for sharp cutoffs in precip in comma heads. Standard stuff.

you be sure to hug whoever forecasts you the most snow regardless of how many times you've thrown that forecaster under the bus

Good to see it not go further west last night, the euro. Hoping the night before was the off run there. It probably was at this pt. I dunno how you don't hug the euro envelope at this pt one way or another. But it could certainly show a 12z yday again too.. Tho I wonder if maybe we end up between there and last night. It is still kinda early but another euro or two and it won't be.

Right where we want it.

And also the nam still sucks but less than yesterday. ;)

This.

I lived in central VA for 10 years, from 2001-11.  This is the sort of track we'd see 48-60 hours out.  Yet in rare Miller A, amping up coastals, very rarely did we see the max snowfall centered over central/south-central VA...it ends up being farther n-nw or closer to the coast.  I cannot think of 12-24" events (are there even any?) where the I95 areas in central VA made out better than areas w-nw-n.  I think thermal profiles aloft (uvv's in the dendritic growth zone and thus snowfall rates) have had a lot to do with that.

Is this the step in the proceedings where the folks N&W of the cities start complaining about getting fringed?

Despite the fact that 99 times out of 100, they end up getting the death band?

This storm is a classic Miller A and it's always about getting as close to the pump without going above freezing. These storms are not going to follow those rules should a more south and east track win.

Good to see it not go further west last night, the euro. Hoping the night before was the off run there. It probably was at this pt. I dunno how you don't hug the euro envelope at this pt one way or another. But it could certainly show a 12z yday again too.. Tho I wonder if maybe we end up between there and last night. It is still kinda early but another euro or two and it won't be.

40-50 miles makes all the difference with this storm

the good thing about the Euro is that it drops so much qpf that taint won't ruin it

me, I'll take the NAM and quietly enjoy my 10-12" and the he!! with the Euro

Archived