00Z ECMWF/UKMET. THE ECMWF MADE A WESTWARD SHIFT WITH THE 00Z/09
CYCLE AS WELL..AND COULD JUST BE FLIP FLOPPING. PREFER TO STAY
STEADY WITH THE 12Z ECMWF AND NEW 00Z CMC GIVEN THEIR CLOSER
AGREEMENT IN POSITION/STRENGTH. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z Euro Ens mean

Tracks east of the OP, but not by as much as you might think...and isn't any colder really...I'd guess around 1.25" for DC metro...

With the Euro tending to "wind things up" a little at this range,  seeing the Ens east of the op is no surprise.  Still ample time for wiggle room over the next 48-72 hours.  Hopefully, things wiggle just a little more east.

MDstorm

06z NAM is 12-16" for DC metro. Impressive, and all snow.

The scope of this does not warrant a 'HECS'  label on an individual city basis outside of the SE, but its overall impact is going to be incredibly significant, and the media is probably going into crazy hype mode starting today.

The storm seems like it could rival '93 for widespread totals of 12"+, spanning from Georgia up into New England, and we have not seen an event like this in quite some time; I don't know what the closest comparison would be.

Travel impacts across the globe are going to be severe as the entire East Coast shuts down. And I have a ticket on Amtrak from NYC to DC set to leave at Penn Station 11AM on Thursday...

Also great to see DT gearing up viral content by posting a EURO map via WXB*** highlighting 20"+ totals across much of the Mid Atlantic. Bottom feeders.

06z NAM is 12-16" for DC metro. Impressive, and all snow.

The scope of this does not warrant a 'HECS'  label on an individual city basis outside of the SE, but its overall impact is going to be incredibly significant, and the media is probably going into crazy hype mode starting today.

The storm seems like it could rival '93 for widespread totals of 12"+, spanning from Georgia up into New England, and we have not seen an event like this in quite some time; I don't know what the closest comparison would be.

Travel impacts across the globe are going to be severe as the entire East Coast shuts down. And I have a ticket on Amtrak from NYC to DC set to leave at Penn Station 11AM on Thursday...

Also great to see DT gearing up viral content by posting a EURO map via WXB*** highlighting 20"+ totals across much of the Mid Atlantic. Bottom feeders.

I dont see how theres no mixing on the 6z NAM...Obv not a bad run but the 850 0c line is very close to DC, I would think theres at least sleet in there somewhere...

Just amazing what the models are printing out for the east coast region. Not sure what to think

According to the above loop sequence, we are snow then we mix for about 3 hours then right back to snow for another few hours

West of that, communities are going to be obliterated by snow

I dont see how theres no mixing on the 6z NAM...Obv not a bad run but the 850 0c line is very close to DC, I would think theres at least sleet in there somewhere...

There is mixiness for DC-BWI eastward before we change back to snow according to WxBell, otherwise, a pretty good run. 

There is mixiness for DC-BWI eastward before we change back to snow according to WxBell, otherwise, a pretty good run. 

Either way, with that track verbatim there has to be some mixing for the cities regardless of what the model prints out..and thats OK..the best storms sometimes have a period of mixing. As it has been said before, you have to flirt with the mixing line to score big in east coast big snows usually.

As someone noted before, most big storms mix or change to sleet at some point in DC/Baltimore. PD11 changed to sleet for about 8 hours, likely denying Baltimore from 30 inch mark. Feb 10 2010 was all sleet overnight in DC before the morning blizzard started. Though some will disagree, to this day I swear Northwest DC even saw 2 hours of snow/rain mix from 8 to 10 pm on the night of Feb 5 2010, denying DC and/or DCA of at least 4 inches of snow. Only major storm in past decade without mixing dangers was Dec 19 2009 and if you go back farther the surprise January storm in 2000.

Yeah I mean it is a frustrating model, but we all pretty much know it has a southeast bias in situations like this one so, it was bound to cave eventually.

this is twice in two weeks that the GFS has shown a solution, 2 days before the event, that the other models have shown way before. Its rather comical that the model is this way lorn. 

You guys r sitting pretty down there. We just need this system to NOT do anything crazy or unexpected now and we can all be in on the fun. Little shifts good....big shifts bad.

I hope we can keep counting on you to tell us we are ok. I need tha blanket of comfort as the track is still undetermined.

West shifts can still happen and need to be considered. Looks like others have already stated mix issues for DC east and we know that happens with amped coastals

I hope we can keep counting on you to tell us we are ok. I need tha blanket of comfort as the track is still undetermined.

West shifts can still happen and need to be considered. Looks like others have already stated mix issues for DC east and we know that happens with amped coastals

track is becoming clear obx to the bm. It will fluctuate from run to run but you guys make out just fine.i hope this makes you feel warm and fuzzy :-)

Theres pretty high probability of receiving accumlating snow out of this...ultimate question is does it ever track far enough west to change to sleet or even rain...Id probably make a bet already now that DC reports sleet at least for 1 hr obs but like I said, most great storms will do that

Theres pretty high probability of receiving accumlating snow out of this...ultimate question is does it ever track far enough west to change to sleet or even rain...Id probably make a bet already now that DC reports sleet at least for 1 hr obs but like I said, most great storms will do that

It looks like to me that the Low gets its act together early enough to get flow from northeast to southwest for a considerable amount of time over our area.. with the antecedent air mass being decent, I think we trap enough cold air in for solid thump in the beginning.  The is not a transfer type deal.. we have a amped up short wave in Georgia with a strong trough developing behind it... the dynamics for flow will be favorable at the beginning and on the tail end.. so we really only have to worry about mixing in the middle... I like upper level low rotating through on the back end... I can remember plenty of storms where we made our Money on the upper air stuff at the tail end

Archived