Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 12-13 Storm: Title TBD

stormtracker

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like everything I see this am. First challenge is to feel confidence in the existence of a storm for our latitude.

Once that happens (tomorrow?) we can start freaking out over ptype and amounts

personally, between the 0Z Euro & EPS (and all their prior runs), 6Z GFS and 6Z and 12Z NAM, I do believe we see a storm and ptype is the only issue

EDIT: OK, amounts too

personally, between the 0Z Euro & EPS (and all their prior runs), 6Z GFS and 6Z and 12Z NAM, I do believe we see a storm and ptype is the only issue

EDIT: OK, amounts too

Yea, it's a glaring signal and the gfs/gefs just caved big time last 2 runs.

Canadian has the low off obx but a miss.

If it happens similar to the euro then I will never buy into any ss storm in progressive flow until the euro says so. Conversely, I won't buy into ns vort in progressive flow until the gfs has it.

Not to be a total weenie, when you say the GFS has caved, has it given us any snow yet or just follows a more euro like set up?

Verbatim it had a couple of three hour periods with a couple inches of snow..  but 12z is almost out.. so we will no more in a bit

Not to be a total weenie, when you say the GFS has caved, has it given us any snow yet or just follows a more euro like set up?

I dont get into the "this model caved to that one" talk. Its silly imo and has no value. We see this all the time with the models, they have different ideas on how features interact in the evolution of a storm. The GFS has had some inconsistent and whacky runs(yesterdays 18z), but overall has had a storm coming north, while EURO has been more steadfast with its ideas run to run. Doesnt mean its right. Its a tough pattern, but I think we are beginning to see a convergence now on a solution. I became more optimistic looking at the 0z GFS and the further NW placement of the GL low on that run compared to earlier runs. NAM this morning also was encouraging. GFS will probably come a bit  more NW with its track, and the EURO less amped and more east.(hopefully)

I hate the GFS...screws the phase up with this double low nonsense.   After the radio show last night and hearing it's biases...and my bias toward wanting to snow, I'm throwing it out.

I gotta think it is fine.... with the Euro running inland and all. just be thankful it didnt show a rainstorm.  Maybe we will have a better idea this time tomorrow.

I hate the GFS...screws the phase up with this double low nonsense.   After the radio show last night and hearing it's biases...and my bias toward wanting to snow, I'm throwing it out.

I'm not throwing it but it does tend to like being suppressed.   The reason I wouldn't throw any model solutions concerning the low was how different the different ens members handled the trough on the 06Z ens. Look at how much the green lines differed in handling the trough that is critical to our storm.  Still loads of chaos so there is no way of knowing whether the 12Z GFS model is just reflecting that uncertainty or is a reflection of its tendency to sometimes suppress waves.  My guess is the solution is somewhere between the Euro solution and the GFS but both remain viable solutions.

post-70-0-88540800-1391961746_thumb.gif

lol its not that bad. prior to yesterday, it was warm and wet. Since the whacked out 18z run, its getting closer. Still plenty of time.

it's actually a bit east of 6z as far as I can tell. tho with the euro being overamped the the gfs being blind we might be OK.  except it's still going to take a lot of luck imby given the high running off to the east etc.

it's actually a bit east of 6z as far as I can tell. tho with the euro being overamped the the gfs being blind we might be OK.  except it's still going to take a lot of luck imby given the high running off to the east etc.

As we know the GFS likes flatter/suppressed, then trends NW. Although with the fast flow it could be correct. If  we do get a storm coming up the coast, temps are going to be an issue for you and me. But given the initial cold air in place, some accum snow would be a good bet before any changeover. I am hoping the GFS does what it usually does, and the Euro comes in less amped(it should) and a bit further east.

12z GGEM slowly coming in on the crappy maps :lol:

72 -- 1014 L in N GOM, just a little bit ESE of NO... 1036 H in Northern NY

84 -- 1009 L in Big Bend of FL... 1033 H moving off east coast of ME (QPF making it into C VA)

96 --- :o  997 L SSE of OBX by like 50-70 miles or so... Snowing here (B&W maps would make it appear so since QPF is in area and dashed line is to the SE of DCA)

108 -- not out yet... will update in a minute

12z GGEM slowly coming in on the crappy maps :lol:

72 -- 1014 L in N GOM, just a little bit ESE of NO... 1036 H in Northern NY

84 -- 1009 L in Big Bend of FL... 1033 H moving off east coast of ME (QPF making it into C VA)

96 --- :o  997 L SSE of OBX by like 50-70 miles or so... Snowing here (B&W maps would make it appear so since QPF is in area and dashed line is to the SE of DCA)

108 -- not out yet... will update in a minute

I take it that's west/north of the last run?

Archived