• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

it's obviously not going to trend well....the setup is horrible and the models have a bias of showing events that are incongruous with their own advertised long wave patterns....The models will eventually get rid of the ridiculous solutions and we get rain or a whiff....NEVER the other way around...The chances that the Euro is underdoing the snow or is too warm is 0%....that isn't the way models work in DC....models "think" our average seasonal snowfall is 60"

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

different models naturally have different biases at certain ranges...however ALL of them from every range have a bias of giving DC too much snow..every single model at every single hour.....You will never hear the following words uttered

"I believe DC will get 6-8" and not the 1-2" then rain that X model advertises.  X model tends do underdo cold and snow in DC metro in the 48-72 hour range.  I think it is safe to say, the 32 degree contour will be 50 miles southeast of where it is on the model, and QPF will double.  I also expect the 1028mb high that moves off the coast to hold in place and actually be 1040mb, because the model tends to underdo high pressure, blocks, and blocking lows.  The model is advertising a surface temperature at DCA of 34 degrees at 15z.  I believe it will be closer to 27."

different models naturally have different biases at certain ranges...however ALL of them from every range have a bias of giving DC too much snow..every single model at every single hour.....You will never hear the following words uttered

"I believe DC will get 6-8" and not the 1-2" then rain that X model advertises.  X model tends do underdo cold and snow in DC metro in the 48-72 hour range.  I think it is safe to say, the 32 degree contour will be 50 miles southeast of where it is on the model, and QPF will double.  I also expect the 1028mb high that moves off the coast to hold in place and actually be 1040mb, because the model tends to underdo high pressure, blocks, and blocking lows.  The model is advertising a surface temperature at DCA of 34 degrees at 15z.  I believe it will be closer to 27."

Post made me lol. But its correct. I bet if you tally up all the modeled snow for DC since December, within 5 days on the Euro op, must be something like 35"..or more?

Mitch, the maps are inherently flawed in marginal temp situations. If the 6 hour panel starts with 850's below zero then precip is counted all snow. Surface is taken into consideration some but I can't figure where the break is. Other lower level and mid level temps aren't considered at all. The algorithm needs some serious improvement but they are still an ok guide as long as you look at the surface and 850 mean panels to hedge properly.

I personally have low expectations for next week unless we see some big changes across the envelope. The only reason I got stoked on the storm in the first place is because it first presented itself with a solid thump of overunning far in front of the parent low/vort. That's not complicated for us. Moisture overunning a boundary and being plenty cold. As soon as that went poof I knew we were in trouble. But that can still come back. We don't have much clarity still.

Archived