• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Feb 12-13 Sleet/Snow/ZR Event

JoshM

WSI RPM shows no snow for ATL proper but not too far away to the north Tuesday. Then it has a raging sleet storm over all of the Metro all night into Wed. I hope that is the case over ZR any day.

Looking like 2/1979 and 1/1988 to me as of right now! If mainly IP, Guessing ~3-4" of IP accumulation and more total accum. if there is sig. snow.

Euro 2 meter temp.'s ~5 too warm imo!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WSI RPM shows no snow for ATL proper but not too far away to the north Tuesday. Then it has a raging sleet storm over all of the Metro all night into Wed. I hope that is the case over ZR any day.

Great news on the fact that there is no ZR! Do you agree that we're looking at almost all sleet for the second wave? Or do you think we could sneak in a few inches of snow?

My interpretation of Euro for RDU.

1.2 inches of total QPF

Light dusting during day Tuesday, but band of snow stays south of Triangle during the day.

Light snow starts early Wednesday morning, looks like there is certainly 2-3 inches of snow through 1pm. Between 1-7pm we switch over most likely to sleet. So maybe 3-4 inches of snow, and then 0.3 inches of QPF in the form of sleet or maybe freezing rain through 7pm Wednesday. Then another 0.3 inches of QPF from 7pm Wed to 1am Thursday likely in the form of sleet or freezing rain. Ending probably around 1am Thursday.

Interestingly enough as the ECMWF cranks the low off the Capes, a wrap around band of snow moves in during the day on Thursday with additional 1-2 inches of snow on top.

So all toll, something like 3-4 inches of snow to start, 0.5-0.6 inches of QPF in the form of sleet or freezing rain, my guess is mostly sleet. then another 1-2 inches as the storm comes to a complete end Thursday.

My interpretation of Euro for RDU.

1.2 inches of total QPF

Light dusting during day Tuesday, but band of snow stays south of Triangle during the day.

Light snow starts early Wednesday morning, looks like there is certainly 2-3 inches of snow through 1pm. Between 1-7pm we switch over most likely to sleet. So maybe 3-4 inches of snow, and then 0.3 inches of QPF in the form of sleet or maybe freezing rain through 7pm Wednesday. Then another 0.3 inches of QPF from 7pm Wed to 1am Thursday likely in the form of sleet or freezing rain. Ending probably around 1am Thursday.

Interestingly enough as the ECMWF cranks the low off the Capes, a wrap around band of snow moves in during the day on Thursday with additional 1-2 inches of snow on top.

So all toll, something like 3-4 inches of snow to start, 0.5-0.6 inches of QPF in the form of sleet or freezing rain, my guess is mostly sleet. then another 1-2 inches as the storm comes to a complete end Thursday.

Thanks Allan. Good grief what a mess. Go home early and stay home on Wednesday if you're in the Triangle folks.

I hope someone keeps a record of the Euro and other model 2 meter temp.'s today or saves the maps so we could see what verifies!

I just saved a bunch of Euro two meter maps from today's 12Z run to see how they verify. They have 32 as ATL's coldest. If ATL gets mainly IP, I expect it to get down to at least ~25. So, I'm thinking they're about 7 too warm for ATL on this run (not everywhere in GA obviously).

Let's see what happens. Right or wrong, I plan to post about it.

I hope someone keeps a record of the Euro and other model 2 meter temp.'s today or saves the maps so we could see what verifies!

exactly. I'm going to try and save some images myself if I have the time.  I hope others do the same. It sure would help us out a lot in the future.

CAE at 1:36pm updated, but didn't change any wording

.SHORT TERM /7 AM MONDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...
THERE IS INCREASING CONFIDENCE IN WINTER WEATHER DEVELOPING ACROSS
THE AREA. HIGHEST CONFIDENCE RESIDES ACROSS THE NORTHERN MIDLANDS
BEGINNING TUESDAY MORNING. HOWEVER...CONFIDENCE IS STILL BELOW
AVERAGE AS FAR AS THE EXTENT OF WINTER WEATHER AND PRECIP AMOUNTS
GIVEN MODEL INCONSISTENCIES.

AS COLD SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS ACROSS THE NORTHERN PLAINS
INTO THE WESTERN GREAT LAKES...A COLD FRONT WILL BE PUSHED
SOUTHWARD ACROSS THE SOUTHEASTERN STATES MONDAY. INCREASING
MOISTURE BEHIND THE FRONT WILL BRING CLOUDY SKIES AND A CHANCE OF
LIGHT RAIN. HIGH TEMPERATURES MONDAY WILL REACH THE 50S TO LOWER 60S.

WEDGE CONDITIONS WILL DEVELOP MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY WITH A
BAROCLINIC ZONE ACROSS THE GULF COAST STATES AND COLD CANADIAN HIGH
PRESSURE TO OUR NORTH. A SHORTWAVE SYSTEM CURRENTLY OVER THE WEST
COAST WILL MOVE TO THE SOUTHERN PLAINS TUESDAY THEN HEAD EASTWARD
ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST WEDNESDAY NIGHT. ALL MODELS SHOW PERIODS OF
ISENTROPIC LIFT ACROSS THE AREA AS LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPS ALONG THE
BAROCLINIC ZONE AND LIFTS NORTHEAST. HAVE INCREASED POPS TO THE
LIKELY CATEGORY...WHICH ARE CONSERVATIVE...FROM TUESDAY THROUGH
WEDNESDAY NIGHT. GIVEN CAD...HAVE LOWERED DAYTIME HIGHS TO LEAN
CLOSER TO OUR WEDGE TECHNIQUE. EXPECT HIGHS TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY
TO RANGE FROM THE MID 30S NORTH TO THE LOWER 40S SOUTH. HAVE
INDICATED MIXED RAIN/SNOW/SLEET ACROSS THE NORTHERN MIDLANDS AND
PIEDMONT. GIVEN UNCERTAINTY...KEPT PRECIP ALL LIQUID FROM THE
CENTRAL MIDLANDS SOUTHWARD TO THE CSRA. QPF AMOUNTS ARE STILL
UNCERTAIN.

exactly. I'm going to try and save some images myself if I have the time.  I hope others do the same. It sure would help us out a lot in the future.

Good deal! Delta, you, and I!

To clarify what I said. IF ATL is mainly IP, then I'm guessing it gets down to ~25 at the coldest vs. the 12Z Euro's 32. However, if it is mainly ZR, then I'd go more with ~27-28 for the coldest as of now...so say ~5 too warm if mainly ZR.

Edit:

Folks,

If 31ish for coldest in ZR, can still be VERY bad!!! Think 1973! Ask Tony.

Good deal! Delta, you, and I!

To clarify what I said. IF ATL is mainly IP, then I'm guessing it gets down to ~25 at the coldest vs. the 12Z Euro's 32. However, if it is mainly ZR, then I'd go more with ~27-28 for the coldest as of now...so say ~5 too warm if mainly ZR.

Edit:

Folks,

If 31ish for coldest in ZR, can still be VERY bad!!! Think 1973! Ask Tony.

Is that considering latent heat release from IP or ZR?

Local TV met Van Denton in High Point says the following:

Winter weather threat is still a real possibility. It is looking to me like there are going to be 2 different periods of winter weather.

On Monday the first wave of low pressure pushes some moisture into the area that should fall as some light snow and this could produce a dusting to 1/2" during the afternoon. This appears will taper off during the evening.

Monday night and Tuesday, most of the moisture stays to our south with very small chances of anything around here until late Tuesday night.

Tuesday night into Wednesday the next and more significant round moves into the area from the south. This is when I feel we have a chance to get more significant snowfall. Early guess is 2-3 inches of additional snowfall for much of the area. This area then pulls away on Wednesday night.

*At this time, this is a better way for us to look at what this storm will likely do rather than the many varying snowfall accumulation maps that are circulating on the web from computer models. In the past these models were not so easily available to the non-meteorologist and many posting do not understand how these models fluctuate often until a storm is right on top of us. Plus it is one output of the model and we need to look at the entire package of the model which usually paints a different story.

Local TV met Van Denton in High Point says the following:

Winter weather threat is still a real possibility. It is looking to me like there are going to be 2 different periods of winter weather.

On Monday the first wave of low pressure pushes some moisture into the area that should fall as some light snow and this could produce a dusting to 1/2" during the afternoon. This appears will taper off during the evening.

Monday night and Tuesday, most of the moisture stays to our south with very small chances of anything around here until late Tuesday night.

Tuesday night into Wednesday the next and more significant round moves into the area from the south. This is when I feel we have a chance to get more significant snowfall. Early guess is 2-3 inches of additional snowfall for much of the area. This area then pulls away on Wednesday night.

*At this time, this is a better way for us to look at what this storm will likely do rather than the many varying snowfall accumulation maps that are circulating on the web from computer models. In the past these models were not so easily available to the non-meteorologist and many posting do not understand how these models fluctuate often until a storm is right on top of us. Plus it is one output of the model and we need to look at the entire package of the model which usually paints a different story.

Oh, I think most here understand that all too well but thanks.

Archived