• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 4-5 2014 storm

ravensrule

I wonder how different the effects up North and West would have been if it was not for the heavy wet snow that stuck to the trees a couple days ago? I assume there wouldn't be as much tree and power line damage.

The Philly area performed that experiment and the results were the same or worse.

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Philly area performed that experiment and the results were the same or worse.

Not sure what this means. Didn't the whole region still have trees with snow on them? It was almost surely a factor in spots at least IMO.

Not sure what this means. Didn't the whole region still have trees with snow on them? It was almost surely a factor in spots at least IMO.

I misread Photoguys post a bit and thought he said "If there was more snow on the trees" instead of "if there hadn't been snow on the trees. "   I agree the weight of the snow probably made it worse. Most of the snow was off the trees at least around Frederick and we still got hit.

Catching up on the thread. Really sorry for all those who got the worst of the storm. The sleet kept things from being that bad here. Still have a mess to cleanup with lots of tree limbs and branches down all over the property.

Winds have gusted to 40 mph here in the past hour, but only occasionally is it accompanied by a shower of fine ice chunks from the trees. Afternoon sun took care of a lot of it.

heating of the air by compression (?). what did the barometer do in that same time frame?

probably some initial downsloping as the front went by before cold air kicks in.  plus there was warm air just west/sw most of the day.

But nothing will ever compare to an all time epic ice storm on long Island where I grew up somewhere around the late 70s. I want say 1978 but I know that was the Blizzard year. But this was an ice storm of very thick ice probably 2 or 3 inches and we had no school for 8 or 9 days and the entire Island was glazed to a standstill. No power for many days. If anyone happened to live there on this forum back then you would remember it for sure.

Edit: I was right. 1978. http://www.northshorewx.com/19780113.asp

Sent from my SM-N900V

I'm sure it was just a joke, but ignore it. He's probably still recovering from last night.

The point I was making last night was that it seemed too warm for much of any ice accretion nor sleet in the DCA are and near BWI and so it went.  There is a single report of 0.20 inch ice in Baltimore, a single report!

IMBY, a different story, it was 23 degrees last night and 28 this morning with about 0.30" ice on trees and lots of power failures and lots of tree damage.  I'm 45 miles NNW and 700 feet higher than DCA.

Indeed!

Glad your power is back Mappy. Millersville was basically a war zone with down tree branches and destroyed trees to a degree I haven't seen since a Severe storm back in the late 2000's knocked out more than 20 trees in my neighborhood. Luckily we didn't lose power, but many around the Lancaster area did and some still haven't gotten it back. York I hear was a disaster and some might not see power back till this weekend. That northern MD area across the Pa line looks like it got hit real hard as well from your reports and pictures I've seen. Stay safe with your little one

How much snow did you get on Monday.

10 inches of concrete. Had 7 packed down before the ice storm hit last night, and now about 5 to 6 inch pack of thick frozen slush. Dont think any snow fell with this storm. Power is still out but with the wind it is dangerous to be out near trees. They are still breaking like crazy.

Quarter inch of ice. Power out for 24hrs and counting. Estimated return of service noon on the 9th. 12" diameter tree on house (removed) no structural damage. Neighbors house destroyed by triple trunk tree. No injuries. Wood stove cranking out the btu's.

That really sucks about your power. Sorry to hear that it will take so long.

Archived