• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8-10 Light snow event that i spent 10 days tracking

Ji

five years ago, there was never discussion of operational models outside 144 hours...nobody ever took day 7 output seriously...that has changed

Skill has increased a bit.. so we're not quite in the same model world but it's still pretty abysmal d7+.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for clarification, is that for the next week event or Sunday evening?

It doesn't effect us. It was there last night but pretty dry. Now its a pretty decent wave of precip from western tn/ky across the carolinas. Not snow for them. Just a wave on the front. Something to casually watch but highly doubt it means much. Just pointing out noticeable run over run change. 

Close in precip panels paint .2 - .3 area wide for Sat-mon.

I suppose there is some upside to the Sat part. Models were showing some interaction with the se coastal back a few days ago and then dropped the idea. Nice to see it come back at much short leads. It can go the other way of course but I'm an optimist so...

Close in precip panels paint .2 - .3 area wide for Sat-mon.

I suppose there is some upside to the Sat part. Models were showing some interaction with the se coastal back a few days ago and then dropped the idea. Nice to see it come back at much short leads. It can go the other way of course but I'm an optimist so...

A little snow will be great. Maybe it will like the SE train idea better tonight. Who knows?

Death Row? The Governer just called with a full pardon!

Now I am not a smart weather guy like the rest of you guys. However, I did make the call when virtually no one else did last week that the storm that was supposed be well to the south of us would come north and west of what the models said. I predicted 3-4 inches out of that storm for central MD. We wound up 2-3 in Anne Arundel County.

I am predicting this weekends storm will do the same and the two waves will combine. I am saying 4-8 for Anne Arundel County.

flow_zps058ee348.jpg

Now I am not a smart weather guy like the rest of you guys. However, I did make the call when virtually no one else did last week that the storm that was supposed be well to the south of us would come north and west of what the models said. I predicted 3-4 inches out of that storm for central MD. We wound up 2-3 in Anne Arundel County.

I am predicting this weekends storm will do the same and the two waves will combine. I am saying 4-8 for Anne Arundel County.

Just out of curiosity, is your "prediction" based on any kind of meteorological thinking, or is it simply a WAG 

Death Row? The Governer just called with a full pardon!Now I am not a smart weather guy like the rest of you guys. However, I did make the call when virtually no one else did last week that the storm that was supposed be well to the south of us would come north and west of what the models said. I predicted 3-4 inches out of that storm for central MD. We wound up 2-3 in Anne Arundel County.I am predicting this weekends storm will do the same and the two waves will combine. I am saying 4-8 for Anne Arundel County.flow_zps058ee348.jpg

Quoted for prosperity

Although a few say models are "general" only, that statement is untrue. 5+ day models show specifics, they show a 1000mb low east of Norfolk 120 hours away with a specific and limited precipitation coverage. Next run, low is off SC coast, next run it's in Ohio Valley. This is specific, not general. They probably input too much specific and detailed info and thus that is what they spit out. General would be that a low will occur somewhere in the eastern 1/3 of the USA and that daytime temps will be in the 30's. It not a valid refute to take a product that gives detailed specifics and state that it is for a broad and general interpretation. Modles and those who produce them are a self sustaining entity-show every solution possible and claim accuracy when one hits and supply that confirmation to the money sources.

flow_zps058ee348.jpg

I absolutely love the graphic.. it just doesnt get any better than that

Although a few say models are "general" only, that statement is untrue. 5+ day models show specifics, they show a 1000mb low east of Norfolk 120 hours away with a specific and limited precipitation coverage. Next run, low is off SC coast, next run it's in Ohio Valley. This is specific, not general. They probably input too much specific and detailed info and thus that is what they spit out. General would be that a low will occur somewhere in the eastern 1/3 of the USA and that daytime temps will be in the 30's. It not a valid refute to take a product that gives detailed specifics and state that it is for a broad and general interpretation. Modles and those who produce them are a self sustaining entity-show every solution possible and claim accuracy when one hits and supply that confirmation to the money sources.

That is why ensembles, pattern recognition, analogs, climo are all important tools at those ranges....I don't think many pro forecasters and mets rely on operational guidance verbatim outsiide of 72 hours most of the time....but the best forecasters use models as an integral part of forecasting..without models, weather forecasting would regress 50 years..

That is why ensembles, pattern recognition, analogs, climo are all important tools at those ranges....I don't think many pro forecasters and mets rely on operational guidance verbatim outsiide of 72 hours most of the time....but the best forecasters use models as an integral part of forecasting..without models, weather forecasting would regress 50 years..

There's a lot of really crappy met forecasters out there these days... model interpretation is the rule v forecasting in a lot of circles. 

Archived