joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8-10 Light snow event that i spent 10 days tracking

Ji

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. And its close at 60. Yeah its the NAM but there is a chance given what we have seen at short leads with recent systems.

the nam is bad past 48 with winter storms in general. Especially with fast moving weak vorts. We can easily be a bust this weekend but I'm certainly not relying on the nam to tell me that. 

I'm going with an inch or 2. Final call. 

I don't understand why people even talk about the GFS or Euro past 3 days out. They have both been worthless all winter long after 3days out. All this talk about next weeks storm should be downplayed. More than likely, based on past performances, it wont happen. I love these message boards, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything past 3 days.

I don't understand why people even talk about the GFS or Euro past 3 days out. They have both been worthless all winter long after 3days out. All this talk about next weeks storm should be downplayed. More than likely, based on past performances, it wont happen. I love these message boards, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything past 3 days.

Because what else are we going to do? Stop thinking about the weather? Give up the hobby? You expect people who love weather to do that? Of course the models are a joke and hands down the best snowstorms are the ones that are not predicated beyond 48 hours. We are still going to play the game though.

Looking at long leads is a learning experience. Allowing a hobbyist to draw better conclusions and expectations based on overall guidance and outcomes and not treating op runs as live tv. Few here expect a long lead storm to verify as shown at long leads. Watching the event unfold over time is an intellectual excercise in better understanding clues within the pattern. If someone is using long lead op models to make their own deterministic forecast then I don't know what to say. 

Had CNN on this morning, Banner headline across the bottom read something like this ... Northeastern U.S. gets break as storm expected to drop feet of snow on the northeast this weekend fizzles ...

Last night I had to tell my son's coach that is was ok to schedule practice on Saturday as the 6-10" he expected was unlikely to say the least. 

The power of a 162-hour ECMWF forecast!

Now we have another storm about 7 days away ... will the cycle continue?

Anyway hoping for flurries (big ones) this weekend.  I missed the one-minute of flurries the DC area (east of the divide)  had last Monday.

Had CNN on this morning, Banner headline across the bottom read something like this ... Northeastern U.S. gets break as storm expected to drop feet of snow on the northeast this weekend fizzles ...

Last night I had to tell my son's coach that is was ok to schedule practice on Saturday as the 6-10" he expected was unlikely to say the least. 

The power of a 162-hour ECMWF forecast!

Now we have another storm about 7 days away ... will the cycle continue?

Anyway hoping for flurries (big ones) this weekend.  I missed the one-minute of flurries the DC area (east of the divide)  had last Monday.

Social media. 3 words come to mind...irresponsible, misinformation, misinterpretation.

Multiple "looks" outside of 48h is much better than a hecs outside of 48h especially with so much spread between models. Gimme multiple misses to the south any day at medium/long range...much better than bullseye 4 or 5 days out

I think most of us agree with this in principle, but it's the instant gratification side of us that keeps us from being rational about these things.   There's a good part of me that likes "the gamble" where we see a multitude of solutions from 5 - 6 days away rather than seeing the big one at that range and then it just rapidly falling apart.

I heard Alex Liggitt say that "the models have been terrible this winter."

the models have always been pretty bad at range.. it's a newish phenomenon that people look to d5-10 to get much from them. 

Archived