• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3rd Snowstorm

earthlight

They may be right. Channel 7 has some decent weather people like Lee Goldberg though this young guy Smith did the weather.

In general, Channel 7, 1010 WINS, and 880 CBS all use AccuWeather-based forecasts. Exceptions can occur e.g, when Craig Allen is on the air. AccuWeather is currently forecasting 2"-4". Also, IMO if one goes 2"-4" or 3"-6" for NYC, that's not unreasonable.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In general, Channel 7, 1010 WINS, and 880 CBS all use AccuWeather-based forecasts. Exceptions can occur e.g, when Craig Allen is on the air. AccuWeather is currently forecasting 2"-4". Also, IMO if one goes 2"-4" or 3"-6" for NYC, that's not unreasonable.

I can't see how 2 to 4 is a fair forecast when . 75 is forecasted to fall. If 75 percent of this is snow at 10 to 1 its 5 inches.

I think 90 of this is snow , I respectfully disagree

Today 55 is irrelevant when its 31 tomorrow and 850s are minus 2 tomorrow morning.

I never look through the prism with snow goggles but I take a macro view and try and coalesce all the guidance

2 to 4 is irresponsible as to what's on tap .

Earthlight, hate to ask an out-of-region question, but for example that HRRR image you just posted shows some really high DBZ for Philly, do you think we could get thundersnow here? 

Yes. There is an area of enhanced lift just north and northwest of the frontal boundary and the models are now indicating the potential for some impressive banding (what else is new in our recent storms). The HRRR has a widespread lightning threat.

As it stands now, we're really gonna rip for a period of time tomorrow.

post-6-0-84167400-1391388967_thumb.png

Yes. There is an area of enhanced lift just north and northwest of the frontal boundary and the models are now indicating the potential for some impressive banding (what else is new in our recent storms). The HRRR has a widespread lightning threat.

As it stands now, we're really gonna rip for a period of time tomorrow.

attachicon.gifltg3_sfc_f15.png

I was asking before if this had some convection to it. Good map thank you

I was asking before if this had some convection to it. Good map thank you

Every high resolution model has an area of enhanced lift running northwest of the boundary and psuedo-CF that I was discussing earlier. The high res NAM fire wx nest has the best banding signature of the winter along this area of enhanced lift. It remains to be seen if this is going to verify...but if it does there are going to be some high totals wherever it sets up. 

firewx_18z_refc_f21.gif

My concerns for lack of snow of significance in Southeast NJ continue. Most of the high resolution models continue to show the 925mb low closing off just as it meanders off the coast of NJ. That is way too late for those areas as part of the 925mb low passes overhead as it is. So the marginal surface temperatures initially are only going to compound the problem. The high resolution models such as the RGEM, HRRR and NAM are very adamant in showing liquid precipitation for a time Southeast of KDIX and that will make this a borderline non-event for those areas.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mmbpll/firewx/firewx_18z_refc_f21.gif

I can't see how 2 to 4 is a fair forecast when . 75 is forecasted to fall. If 75 percent of this is snow at 10 to 1 its 5 inches.

I think 90 of this is snow , I respectfully disagree

Today 55 is irrelevant when its 31 tomorrow and 850s are minus 2 tomorrow morning.

I never look through the prism with snow goggles but I take a macro view and try and coalesce all the guidance

2 to 4 is irresponsible as to what's on tap .

FWIW, I favor higher amounts than 2"-4" (probably 3"-6" in the Bronx and Manhattan and 4"-8" elsewhere in the City). I'm just stating that I don't think the forecast is unreasonable

My concerns for lack of snow of significance in Southeast NJ continue. Most of the high resolution models continue to show the 925mb low closing off just as it meanders off the coast of NJ. That is way too late for those areas as part of the 925mb low passes overhead as it is. So the marginal surface temperatures initially are only going to compound the problem. The high resolution models such as the RGEM, HRRR and NAM are very adamant in showing liquid precipitation for a time Southeast of KDIX and that will make this a borderline non-event for those areas.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/mmbpll/firewx/firewx_18z_refc_f21.gif

What are you thinking for the Central NJ/ Staten Island Area?

Archived