joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monday Mauler or Monday Bawler? part II

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You got it winterwxluv, ground will still be solid frozen and radiating below top 1". Lot of yapping again this time, just like last one, about how we don't kow what is what. This is a classic rain to start, switch to snow n&w of Beltway, city up for grabs but also likely goes over to snow. Gotta get decent baro. support, >30.10 essential, 30.20 would be good, 30.25 great.

problem is we arent going to see pressure rises until the event is underway...in advance of the start time, pressure will be nowhere where we need it...so where the good snow line sets up is tricky...there will probably be sharp gradients in amount

I'm terrible with those, but that +5 between 850 and 700 isn't a problem? Can someone explain?

What would you look for in a model run to indicate a chance for thundersnow? Do you need to read a skew-t for that, 700VVs? What exactly? I don't know much about severe wx. 

I "think" the dew point temp and actual temps do a little left, right, left (saw tooth) around 600-700mb

but that's a guess

I think 2-4" is a fair start. Its enough to get people's attention in these parts, and they still have a few days to add if need-be. 

I was referring to their dual 2-4 inch areas. Based on latest guidance I wouldn't expect more than an inch in lower DE, and probably nothing at the beaches. And whats with the 1-2 jip zone? Just kinda odd.

It's 48 here and having little effect on the snow. The ground can't warm much with snow on top of it.

We'll be mostly snow free here by tomorrow though I still have some mini glaciers right next to my building.

fwiw, Euro skewts are finally out on Accuwx, and the good news is......there's no warm level at 800mb at IAD or BWI at 48 hrs (Monday 12Z) and both locations are isothermal freezing from 48 hrs thru 54 hrs (54 looks 31 degrees isothermal)!!!

DCA is sooooo close to isothermal freezing at 48 hrs, it too should be all snow; by 54 hrs it is isothermal freezing too

so, Euro is not as bad as I thought and definitely colder than last night's run

Archived